Early Archery Elk Rut

S

Snapshot

I drew a unit 23 Elk tag for September 1-10, I have never hunted elk quite that early before. Do the elk in this part of the state get vocal that early in the month or is it a pre-rut scenario? I know that pre rut can be very productive for a savvy hunter and that the weather plays a big factor in elk activity, however, I know that my work will be cut out for me on this hunt. Thanks in advance for your help.

i have hunted the early hunt twice in the past four years and have not heard them bugle on their own, morning or night...i have been able to call a few in but they needed some enticing...that is my experience, others may have experienced otherwise, i hunt the southern part of the state about 80-90 miles east of unit 23...good luck...

solrac

Thanks! I forgot to mention in my post that the info on pre-rut bulls was in Rocky Mountain Game & Fish magazine about a successful Colorado archer who takes most of his pre rut bulls in late August or very early September hunting lone bulls by soft calling with a cow in heat call and does not use a locator bugle at all. I always like a challenge, so it will be interesting to say the least.

I hunted that hunt two years ago and the bulls were starting to bugle but only from about 4 am to just after first light. I'm told that the rut in that particular part of the state doesn't really kick in till late September and sometimes even early October.

Alot of guys have told me the same thing about the 16 units...not alot of bugling until mid september thru mid october, with last of Sept. being the best...I have even had a couple guys say the first hunt was tough, and they wouldn't try it again. You might want to do alot of scouting!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom