Easy Cow

COHunter

What units would you guys say are the best for high success at getting a cow

Being from Colorado, I dont really need to buy an out of state Bull tag, but I would like to hunt some new country with my boy

Thanks

Area 53/54 is a good area. Some roads. By an access/tresspass fee to largest ranch in the area and have fun or hunt the walk in areas(lots of pressure). Should kill a cow/calf in one or two days of hunting. Once you kill one the work will start. Hope your son can get an elk. Keep the youth involved. Cody is only 35 minutes from this area.

Unit 85 is almost automatic for getting a cow elk. It is mostly public land and close to Jackson Hole. It does not get all that much pressure due to the long hunting season. The unit has cow permits that are easy to draw that allow you to start hunting as early as Sept 10th and go through mid November and even into January on private land. A general permit allows you to hunt bulls or cows for over a month.
WyHunter

N.W.Wyoming

Use a game cart. And or any hunter worth his salt can pack a cow on his back in two or three trips. I have taken out a cow in two. But only 1 1/2 miles.

And I've drug out deer here in OH,WV,& PA for several miles also, and packed out mule deer and antelope in WY. For over 20 years. At 50+ if I can get a horse pack out, I'd like to find one when I want/need it. Maybe you don't go as far back in as I like too. Everyone is different. I will agree that a cart makes moving meat pretty simple when the conditions are right to use one. Of course if I was a resident I couldn't use a cart as they are not allowed in wilderness areas, if I've read the regs in some of them right.

Try area 59 for cows. Its on the southfork just outside of Cody. I hunted that area many times while in college because of times issues. We always got pretty easy cows. Several times we saw bunches of over a hundred elk. A couple times we saw bunches of 200-300. Get a trespass permit from the TE. They are free, I beleive. Even if you don't get the trespass permit, there is still a lot of public ground that is easily accesible and has a lot of easy elk.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom