Ebay

upmuley

Here is a warning to all you Ebay users out there. Please bid with extreme caution (or better yet do not bid at all) on any items that are delivered over 60 days after the auction ends. This almost always includes hunts. I bought a subscription to the Wall Street Journal from a fraudulent seller who stated in his listing it would take 10 weeks or so for the subcription to start. When 12 weeks went by I contacted him several times but he never responded. I contacted Ebay several times who essentially said too bad for you. What really infuriates me is that they showed no interest in removing him as a seller and you can not leave negative feedback after 60 days. It is a catch 22. I am posting this on this site because there are a lot of hunts listed on Ebay and almost every one of them has the hunt occurring after the two months are up. With that thought in mind how many of the Positive ratings do you think would be Negative if they could leave feedback AFTER the hunt? What exactly are you leaving feedback on before you see the operation and go on the hunt. Pass this information to any of your friends who might be thinking of buying a hunt on Ebay.

Buying a hunt on ebay is no different than buying one any other way. You would still want to do the same amount if research and get lots of references before dishing out your money. The ebay feedback system is so flawed it's not even funny....

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-07 AT 10:19AM (MST)[p]A friend just got burned BAD a month ago after buying a 1957 Chevy Hardtop off of eBay. Pictures looked good and right (he won't say how much) but when it was delievered to him, even the truck driver told him you do not have to except this car. But wanting a 1957 for years, he went ahead and took procession of the car.

Well that whole car is a RUST BUCKET and it is going to cost him a fortune to restore it. Big time burn job.
Old saying, don't buy something you can not look at first hand. Never buy sight unseen.

Brian

I just watched a "special" on TV the other day entitled "efencing". I forget how many billions of dollars worth of merchendise is shop lifted every year only to be sold on ebay. ebay's attitude was "bummer, what can we do?"

It's a cold, hard, and evil world out there.

Kilowatt is correct! Never buy real estate or cars sight unseen. Either that or pray a lot.:)

Eel

been ebaying for 5 years now, only one rip job, lucky i guess?...anyways you should always use paypal because they insure your sale when using there servie's..my two cents worth...

Bought a restored 67 Nova off Ebay 4 years ago. Awesome car, as described. I sent a deposit, then went to inspect car before purchasing it outright. Was only around 500 miles from home so it worked out great. My wife has taken the car for her own now, it will sit in one spot all day and burn the tires down to nothing if you want (she says she babys it). Anyway, now I want my 60 Cadillac Hardtop Coupe.
On Ebay, you can locate things that are hard to find, you ussually dont get any "steals" or "super deals" but you can find what youre looking for. Feedback (and alot of it) means EVERYTHING!!!

bittersweetmuleymeat

Have friends that shop and buy alot on ebay. He even bought his Harley off it and never no problem with ebay. Wife all the time also.

fca2e9e9.jpg

I bought my 96 Cobra Mustang off ebay just a few months ago. Cars like it that were original and clean with low miles were selling for around 11k, so I lowballed at $7000 and won it! I did have some friends run the vin through the Ford dealer network and an Oasis report, they both came back very good. When the car arrived I was more than happy with it, it was exactly as described and much cleaner than any of the ones for sale here in the salty road rust belt (came from south Florida).

Here is one of the pics that came from ebay......

2rxz6g7.jpg

And some after it got here.....

35iaexd.jpg

2nvqre8.jpg

So there is still some very good deals on ebay, you just have to careful about who you buy from, and lowball bid an literally hundreds of items before you win that one.

257Tony!!!

WILL IT OUTRUN ktc'S DODGE UP OVER PARLEYS???

THE ONLY bobcat!!! :D :D :D

I won a brand new GL2 camcorder off ebay a few months ago and the guy I bought it from had 99% good ratings for something like 2 years. I never received the camcorder and went through Paypal to purchase it. Paypal wouldn't let me use my Cabela's Visa to pay for it and made me use my bank direct deposit. Paypal only covered up to $1,000 of my purchase and this was much less than what I paid for the camcorder. Paypal "said" they would go after the guy and re-imberse my account for the $1,000 but I was out the difference (which was a lot of $!).

I decided to go to my bank and see what they could do. They made Paypal pay for the entire amount since I didn't receive my camcorder. Now Paypal says I still owe them the difference and I can't access my Paypal account until I pay it! Unfortunately there aren't many sellers on ebay that accept anything other than Paypal so I am up a creek w/out a paddle!

A word of warning...don't buy anything on ebay unless Paypal will reimburse you for the total amount of your purchase. It usually says on the listing how much they will cover of the purchase...i.e...$1,000. They just upped their backing to $2,000 for some sellers so be careful who you buy things from!

I've bought and sold a TON of stuff on ebay. I've had very good results with 2 exceptions. The first was a snowmobile engine the seller didnt ship, I filed a complaint and EBay refunded my money then went after him. The second I bought a shop manual from WyomingBen that used to post here on MM, sadly he closed shop and I lost out on a $20 manual.

EBay has saved me a ton of money and I will continue to use it. Right now I need a pair of Phazer Snowmobile pistons... got a sled with a hole burned in one LOL

-DallanC

DallanC!!!

HE'S GOT A HOLE IN A PISTON,LMMFAO!!!

WHERE YOU BEEN RIDING THAT MACHINE???

LMAO!!!

TAKE THE FRICKEN AFTERMARKET PIPE OFF THE PHAZER & RE-JET IT FOR THE PROPPER ELEVATION & MAKE SURE THE OIL PUMP SYSTEM IS IN PROPPER CONDITION & MAKE SURE THE OIL TANK HAS OIL IN IT & MAKE SURE THE CRANK SEALS ARE GOOD & YOUR PISTON TROUBLES ARE OVER WITH!!!

AND ONE MORE THING!!!

QUIT BEING SUCH A TIGHT A$$ AND BUY A SET OF PISTONS & QUIT TRYING TO GET THEM FOR NEXT TO NOTHING!!!

THE ONLY bobcat REMEMBERING BEN SCREWING A FEW PEOPLE OVER,I'LL BET ALOT OF HUNTERS WILL TRY & GET EVEN IF THEY EVER GET THE CHANCE!!!

>
>257Tony!!!
>
>WILL IT OUTRUN ktc'S DODGE UP
>OVER PARLEYS???
>
>THE ONLY bobcat!!! :D :D :D
>

Hell yeah!!!

Dallan, I believe the problem you have is that the snowmobile gods have cursed your Phazer for it being the ugliest thing ever built :(

I like ebay. Never had any issues. Only sold one item on there, but have purchased lots, including elk and mule deer sheds.

I sold a Honda EU2000i. Sold it for $25 more than I paid a year before!

muleyman

I have had good luck on some things with Ebay also. Just be EXTREMELY careful buying anything with a delayed delivery as the feedback rating is rather irrelevant as the ratings are given prior to receiving (or in my case not receiving at all) the item. Ebay is also very cavalier about imposter items being sold as authentic also in my opinion. I have traded on Ebay about 5 years and seen a steady decline both in Ebay (increased pricing no customer service) and fraudulent traders. Go on Ebay and find a telephone number to talk with somebody. That should take up the rest of your day!

I work as a server systems/Technical tools guy, we get tons of industry/internet security information rags.
As such, Ebay accounts for over 80% of all internet rip-offs. Mostly because of the sheer volume of users.
Craig's list is catching up quickly (not in total volume but in the amount of rip-offs per thousand users.)
Just a little common sense will stop the majority of the rip-offs. Use Paypal, or other equal. Use a credit card that reimburses for theft.
Start tracking the bidders for a seller that you wish to buy from. Tag teaming is very common on Ebay. That is where they have multiple people working together from various locations and multiple computers to bid up items above the reserve, catching some unlucky person in the thrill of the bid.
The most common thing I see is people are very gullible and believe Ebay is like buying at their local garage sale. They do not realize that this is a business for most of the sellers out there.

Having said that, you can get some fantastic deals if you are careful and do your research.

There are only two types of people - The Hunters and the hunted,
I hunt.
Alchase

>HE'S GOT A HOLE IN A
>PISTON,LMMFAO!!!
>
>WHERE YOU BEEN RIDING THAT MACHINE???

Its a junker I bought with the blown engine. I'm swapping parts off of it onto my wifes near mint phazer. It had a brand new 1.5" 121 track to replace her worn 116", the track alone is $320... I paid $200 for the entire sled. I was going to part out the rest of it and sell it on ebay (body is in great shape) but I pulled the heads off and found no real damage other than a purty hole burned through the PTO side piston. So I decided I'm going to pick up some pistons off ebay, Bore the junk sleds cylinders, put THOSE on my wifes sled, put her worn cylinders / pistons on the junker to get it running then sell it this fall :)

>TAKE THE FRICKEN AFTERMARKET PIPE OFF
>THE PHAZER & RE-JET IT
>FOR THE PROPPER ELEVATION &
>MAKE SURE THE OIL PUMP
>SYSTEM IS IN PROPPER CONDITION
>& MAKE SURE THE OIL
>TANK HAS OIL IN IT
>& MAKE SURE THE CRANK
>SEALS ARE GOOD & YOUR
>PISTON TROUBLES ARE OVER WITH!!!

Its stock pipe but I'm betting money the PTO seal is bad. I'll check it once I get it running with some ether.

>AND ONE MORE THING!!!
>
>QUIT BEING SUCH A TIGHT A$$
>AND BUY A SET OF
>PISTONS & QUIT TRYING TO
>GET THEM FOR NEXT TO
>NOTHING!!!

But you can get a pair of new pistons with a gasket kit for about 40% of what a dealer charges, its worth the savings for a do-it-yourself'er. Lots of shops are clearing out OEM parts on ebay for great prices.

>THE ONLY bobcat REMEMBERING BEN SCREWING
>A FEW PEOPLE OVER,I'LL BET
>ALOT OF HUNTERS WILL TRY
>& GET EVEN IF THEY
>EVER GET THE CHANCE!!!

That guy used to post here alot until his business blew up... ah well I'm over that.

-DallanC

DallanC!!!

I'VE ALSO GOT A PHAZER WITH A PISTON WITH A PRETTY LITTLE HOLE IN IT!!!

I WAS UP AT 12,500,I KNOW IT WAS BURNING RICH,THINK I LOST A CRANK SEAL,LIMPED THAT SOB OUT 13 MILES ON 1 CYLINDER,TRY THAT WITH OTHER MACHINES!!!

ALSO,I'VE GOT ANOTHER PHAZER WITH OVER 19,000 MILES ON IT,STILL GOT THE ORIGINAL PISTONS IN IT,THE ENGINE HAS NEVER BEEN TOUCHED,THE DIFFERENCE IS I CONVERTED THIS PHAZER TO PRE-MIX,DONE AWAY WITH THE 2 STROKE OIL PUMP & SHE STILL PURRS TODAY,I'VE GOT SEVERAL OF THEM & THIS ONE IS BY FAR THE MOST RELIABLE BUT YOU HAVE TO MIX THE GAS,NO BIG DEAL!!!

AND AS FAR AS 257Tony'S REMARK ABOUT BEING UGLY,THEY WERE JUST AHEAD OF THEIR TIME & WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT IN 1984 THEY DID LOOK A LITTLE DIFFERENT BUT ONE OF THE MOST RELIABLE MACHINES EVER BUILT & THEY DIDN'T CHANGE THEM MUCH FOR MANY,MANY YEARS!!!

OF COURSE THE NEW BIG 700'S,800'S,900'S & 1000'S ARE BIGGER & BETTER BUT COMPARE THE PRICE!!!

THE ONLY bobcat RIDING THE OLD JUNKY MACHINES!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom