Eberlestock question

forkhunter

Hey guys,
I am wondering if there are those who have used the J104 and the J107 and could give me a synopsis of what they found? I can see on the website what the differences are, but has anyone put both to use and found the real functionality of one to be a substantial amount better than the other? Obviously a little price difference. I have a gunslinger and like it, but want a more serious pack too.

Thanks.

The J107 has a little heavier duty suspension system and it is adjustable. Depending on your size, you may need the adjustability. I'm about 5'11 and the 104 fits really nice.

If the 104 fits, then I can't see spending the extra money and hauling the extra weight of the 107. Both will haul more than a guy should carry. This past year, I have hauled caribou, elk and deer with mine. I hauled an entire quartered out spike that was over 100 lbs in meat and it performed great. The pack can haul 50-60 lbs comfortably.

The J107 does have the detachable fanny pack but I can't see what good that would do. There is a noticable difference when you hold the packs side by side in terms of weight though. My friends wife bought him the 107 for christmas so we have had them side by side in my basement this week going over the pros/cons etc. I can't see much difference except the suspension system and the detachable fanny pack. My vote is the 104 for weight and price without losing any functionality in my opinion.

Hope that helps.

Could the fanny pack be removed on the 104? I know its not detachable but will the pack still function well without the top srorage flap? Just wondering if it could be removed you might be able to make the 104 even lighter.

If huntin is a sport.....Well your lookin at an athlete!

I think the J104 has no fannypack to remove. Only the J107 has the removable fanny. I have the discontinued J105 that is similar to the J104 with a sturdier internal frame. Hope that confuses you too much!

I own both. buy the 107 dragonfly, hands down a better pack in EVERY way!

The top pack (also a fanny pack) does come off the 107 and the pack functions without it. I took mine off as soon as I arrived, I dont like top packs anyhow.

But the 107!

I had the first version of the 104 and felt it sagged with weight. Bought a 105, much better, but not quite there. The newer J104 they put sinches on the sides so it does not sag anymore. I love this pack. So much so I sold my MR packs and other more expensive. I love the Just one! J107 is too heavy and complex in my opinion. Good luck and hopefully you can try on both.

I bought the 104 a couple of years ago out of the Cabelas bargain cave for my dall sheep hunt in Alaska. Its a great pack that is comfortable, and can hold alot of gear.

I'll agree with the fact that the 107 is hands down better than the 104. I had the 105 and it blew away the j104 as far as being able to haul a heavy load.

No comparison.

+1 on cleanshots pro's/con's

I am 6' 4" tall so the J104 is technically borderline but I own one and have no issues with it. I did not think the adjustability of the 107 justified the extra weight so I bough the 104 and love it.

The J104 without the top flap would be less functional but functional. Taking the top flap off the pack would make the vertical compression strap inoperable and hinder the packs ability to secure cargo.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

lets not confuse the issue.

1. the 104 top pack is part and parcel to the pack, it DOES not come off.

2. the 107 dragenfly has a removable top pack that's attached to the the top flap, so it is removable and doubles as a fanny pack, the pack compresses the same with our without the top pack and can be used without it.

"Roadless areas, in general, represent some of the best fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. The bad news is that there is nothing positive about a road where fish and wildlife habitat are concerned -- absolutely nothing." (B&C Professor, Jack Ward Thomas, Fair Chase, Fall 2005, p.10).

I knew it was not removable on the 104 but I was just wondering if you could cut the top storage off and re-sew the comp straps or make new comp straps so It would be more like the 107 WITHOUT the top storage?

If huntin is a sport.....Well your lookin at an athlete!

Yes you could do that but the J104 weighs 6lbs 8oz. The top storage does not have the belt attachment like the J107, so I'm guessing you would only be dropping the weight of a J104 by 4-5 ounces.

Ed

477d54be38a7e700.jpg

www.trophyhuntoutfitters.com

Is it true that the 104 and the 107 have a different frame. So the choice is a sturdy internal frame rales of the 107 or ? I am not sure what the 104 has.

These packs are real nice. I am not sure which one to buy either...

buy the 107 if you plan to do any real heavy long hauling. if your doing some lighter, more moderate hunting, but still need or demand the utility of a pack that transforms into a cargo hauler after the kill, the 104 should do the job for you.

I've been using the packs since the came out, I love them. . .

I've used the J104 for 3 years and I love that thing. The new J104's allow you to compress the pack about 2" where the scabbard is if your not packing a gun. That should be a nice improvement to get the weight closer to your body.

I have packed a couple elk and 3 deer and also used it for backpack hunting. My favorite use is back country bivy hunting and it fits the bill perfectly. I can't imagine finding a pack that works any better than the J104. As far as the fanny pack on the J107, my style of hunting doesn't warrant the use of a fanny pack so that isn't important to me.

2007 Elk, 80lb loads, as comfortable as 80lbs can be.
47ae562d32fe3f2c.jpg

2007 blacktail, 90lbs of boned meat and head.
47ae565833cbc64b.jpg

Coon

if your
>doing some lighter, more moderate
>hunting, but still need or
>demand the utility of a
>pack that transforms into a
>cargo hauler after the kill,
>the 104 should do the
>job for you.

Don't worry, the 104 will still haul out plenty of weight. I have had heavier loads, but here is a one trip deer.
P1040111.jpg

As for moderate hunting, my 104 has been on some more than moderate bear, mule deer and mountain goat hunts. Seems to work fine.

Here it is working last fall on a Kodiak goat hunt with meat, head and an entire hide.
P1000354_edit.jpg

My heaviest load is a Sitka from Kodiak a few years ago. Due to the weather, I didn't take the time to bone out everything. Weight was into the triple digits. Not the most comfortable hike out in the rain and slipping in the mud, but the pack was going to outlast me.

I haven't tried the 107, but obviously it gets good reviews from some on this board.

I just gotta say, the 104 is more of a pack than just for light hauling on moderate hunts.;-)

I used the Barta Stalker last year on a diy elk hunt. If you are not bivy hunting. Close to camp when hunting 3 or 4 miles, I would recomend it. I hauled 80 pound debone elk at a time with it. It was the most comfortable pack I have ever used with a load. It doesn't have as much space as other packs, but I was able to stalk with it on. I also used it on a deer hunt, and packed out a whole deer alone in one trip. Deer was around same weight deboned, with same results.

we have had the j104's packed 5 elk and 8 deer with it. i train with 75 to 100 lbs in it in the summer.my brother-in-law also has a 104. i really dont like the j104 compared to a blacks creek alaskan pack i bought last year. I trained with 100lbs 5 miles 5 nights a week up and down hills (300 ft elevation gain) this pack fits me and carries the heavier weight much better than the 104. i packed 3 caribou 2 elk and 4 deer this year in it. my bro-in-law packed a few loads with the alaskan, he also likes the alaskan better, it is easier to keep the weight close to your body, doesnt feel like your being pulled over backward all the time,Someone on the board told me to get the 107 and i would throw away the blackscreek. I cant see spending 275.00 for another pack when this one works great.. i put sleeping bag,pad ,tarps and clothes, for 3 different trips, 2 days to 5 days away from the truck. no problems. didnt have to carry a tent....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom