Economy and draw results

R

Rem308

How do you think the draw will go this year with so many people losing there jobs?Last year there were leftover Region D tags,I wonder how it will go this year.

I'm in construction, have a small plumbing business, and FEEL as though i lost my job. I haven't made beans and salt since November. New construction is so bad, i heard that 43 Contractors bid on the one set of County approved plans in the whole area. Now that spring is here, i'll hope to do OK on service calls and small remodel projects.

All i know...if i get drawn, i'm going :)

the other Joey

I am from Michigan and every other person is either loosing there home or unemployed in my area,but people I know that usually go west to hunt are not even thinking of it this year,just happy to buy grocery.
For me,I am waiting for the left over list to get out to decide where I am going to hunt.Don't have any prticular spot ,for there are antelope and deer in every unit and I can find a place to hunt when I get a license.

Rem308 Many moons ago, 1977 i think, a good buddy and i hunted Wyoming for the first time. We didn't draw our tuff mule deer hunt but we did put in as second choice, for a whitetail hunt near Sundance. We hunted a tad south and as far East as you could go, right next to the border as i recall. Excellent Hunting!

Amyway seeing as you're from Michigan, that happened to make me remember that long ago hunt so well. We rented a basement studio setup walking distance to downtown for the week before and two weeks of the season. Being young lads with plenty of energy, we went out to several drinking establishments each night and pulled back a few brews, not to mention there was a lot of nice young ladies from a nearby College who loved to dance in attendance, and get a bite to eat.

This is getting long so i'll cut to it. We met up with a group of guys from Michigan and what a great bunch they were. We'd meet up most every night to drink Coors long necks and talk our way through the days events. I can't say i ever met a nicer, fun loving group of hunters anywhere and boy did we ever have a great time in Sundance Wyoming!

I hope things work out for you!

the other Joey

I think times are tough for a lot of us right now. After the last hunting season, I always start putting money away immediately so I will have money to hunt the following year. I've got enough to go this year and hopefully I will stay busy enough to be able to save for 2010 right after the season ends. I know a lot of guys that struggling in this economy. I think I'll be making out to Region D again this year.

Steve

If there are leftover tags in region D, how does a nonresident go about purchasing one?

I think so far draw odds are up (a lot more people just getting points) and auction tags, rafles, etc.. are off over 20% or more on average in most states.

I keep thinking this is great year to try and pull some great tags... the economy is killing me as well so tough decision.

I cant help myself...go for it and figure it out from there!

maybe we should come up with something for the addiction like "tags annonymous" or "draw results annonymous"

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-09 AT 08:51PM (MST)[p]Eastman's states that elk tag sales are down 20% from last year at this time. If so many new folks are just getting preference points because they can't afford to hunt, that could really throw the odds when we start to see some economic recovery... For the sake of western hunters let's hope that recovery comes back gradually. For the sake of all Americans, let's hope that recovery all comes back ASAP!

Ditto the 20% reduction in elk apps. And not sure if the PP buying won't be affected either. Deer are cheaper so the effect may be less.

Personally, I took a 10% pay reduction BUT I've still got a job. I feel for those that don't.

I'm trying to take advantage of the situation by apply for moose in every state hoping the draw odds are better than normal and I can get lucky just once.

Good luck to everyone in the draws and in life in general.

My hopes are that because of the drop in tag sales, the F&G don't stick it to those that are still buying tags. It would be very easy for them to pass the bill to us.....who will still pay to play. My tags cost $612 this year and in this economy, that was a push to WANT to pay that. Usually, I have no problem letting go of that money....but not knowing what will be hapening in 4 months from now is a little scary. Tags have increased enough but the F&G may pass this onto those that will still buy tags. Lets hope not.

Steve

Califelkslayer- I hope you evetually get that 10% back. Sometimes you gotto do what you gotto do, eh? Like you said, at least you've still got the job.

Steve, I'm not complaining at all. The last few years I've come to realize just how good I've had it and always try to look at the "glass half full."

I have no use for those that don't work and are lazy BUT in this economy, people are getting hurt that have great work ethics. I truly feel for those type of people.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom