Edible Portions

RG13

For you guys that debone your mule deer, about how much weight in meat do you end up carrying out? Any suggestions on how to minimize the weight, but still take all the edible portions?

I start out by quarting using the gutless method. Take off four quarters, backstraps, neck, flank, brisket meat, and inside loins. Then just cut the bone out of the quarters. You could have anywhere from 50-70 lbs I'd say for a buck. For a pack out by yourself with a camp, you are looking at close to 100 lbs.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-09 AT 00:35AM (MST)[p]Don't forget the Heart!! I'd swap pound for pound for backstrap anyday!! Best piece on a deer IMO! :)

Joey

Sage, how do you prepare the heart ? Is this the reasn you can press 300 at 55 ? LOL. Seriously though. I've never eaten the heart but know plenty that have. Maybe put your recipe on the Wild cooking thread.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-09 AT 08:38PM (MST)[p]I would guess 40 to 80 lbs as well. The buck I packed out last year came out to 80 lbs of trimmed meat, per the scale as I packaged it. The skull would've added more. I didn't keep the cape, so that would've added even more. Probably more than most.

A smaller buck might give you half of that. I packed a two point out two years ago. With the meat, pack, rifle, and everything else, it came out to 75 lbs. I weighed the whole kit and caboodle when I got home. I'm guessing the meat itself was between 55 and 60 lbs. It felt like a lot more while carrying it...

When I bone out an animal, it all comes out. I take every scrap I can including side meat and strips from between the ribs. There are other cuts that many leave. It all is edible and usable.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom