Edith Nagy/Pat Deuling

dreamer

I just booked a Bighorn hunt for 05 in Alberta with them. Has anyone hunted with them, had any experience with them, or heard anything? Thanks.

You are in GREAT hands! Edith and Pat are the best! I took a ram with them in 2003. I'd known Pat for years and wanted to hunt sheep with him. When he left Arctic Red and moved to Alberta, it created the opportunity for me to do so. It was a terrific time. Edith and Pat will put out 150+% effort for you. Congratulations on booking a terrific hunt and experience. Good luck.

Edith Nagy is a long time, well established and reputable outfitter.
A friend of mine had a great elk hunt with her.
HH

My good friend hunted sheep with them in 2002. He hunted hard for about 10 days and never saw a legal ram. He hurt his knee, got frustrated and never got a ram. They had some problems with other people hunting the same area and a few other things. I'm not saying anything bad about Edith and Pat.......... there are always two sides to every story.

Me and some friends have hunted bears with Edith twice (once when Pat was there) and they put on a great bear hunt. Nice camp and they worked very hard to please us. Pat was a great guide at Arctic Red for many years and knows sheep like few do.

Thanks RamDreamer

You are always helpful and I enjoy your posts. I am excited about the hunt. I had originally booked an 06 hunt with them but they had a cancellation. I also had another dall hunt scheduled for 05, but I/ve cancelled it so I can hunt Bighorn with Edith and Pat. My main concern is that the number of legal rams in their area might not be good. The only thing is, they hunt in an area that requires an 8 hour horseback ride to get to it. No vehicles can make it in. To me,that in itself reduces the pressure from the locals. What do you think about the number of legal rams one might expect to see on a 15 day hunt in their area? Your opinion is respected and appreciated.

Thanks cb

Appreciate your thoughts. I understand they are hunting in an area that requires an 8 hour horseback ride, no vehicles can make it. I'm hoping that will reduce the pressure from locals.

RE: Thanks RamDreamer

dreamer,

I got in on a cancellation as well, I just lucked out I guess. Okay, you're asking serious questions so it's time to be real. No matter what anybody says the "real" success rate on outfitted Alberta sheep hunts is about 50%. Alberta bighorn hunting is sheep hunting at some of its best, and sometimes toughest. You get into those Canadian Rockies and you mind will reel with their beauty. The ride in, on my trip, was more like 9 hours. It was extremely hot (I was on the first hunt, early September) so the fatigue factor kicked in. Coming out we did in about 7 hours, we started in about 1/2 foot of fresh snow and were cool the whole way out.

Legal rams is indeed an issue, but more on that in a second. Don't worry about resident pressure - the only two people I saw besides Pat and Edith were two rangers making a swing out from the park on horseback. The problem you may run into, as I did, is Alberta's 4/5ths rule. I had to let a beautiful old warrior ram of at least 12 years go due to his brooming. I watched this ram for three days and it's sad to know he'll never be taken by a hunter and turn into wolf chow. Also had to pass on a 10+ year old ram, again due to his brooming back beyond legal, that was with the ram I shot. A legal ram must have his horn pass through an imaginary line running from the front base of the horn through the front of the eye socket - bare skulled - not just the front of the live eye. That said, I killed the first ram we knew was positively legal. That was on the sixth day of hunting. My ram and I are on their website under "photo album", the under "sheep photos", uppermost right. He is a very heavy based ram, never scored him so don't know - but he is a nice lifesize mount in my living room.

You are right about no vehicles. It is a "no motorized" zone, illegal to have any transportation other than boot leather and horsehide (or mule hide in Edith's rides case).

The weather can play heck with you (if it's hot). That was my main problem. But that's the case with most all sheep hunts, isn't it? A friend of mine from here in Colorado hunted with another Alberta outfitter north of Pat & Edith and he killed his ram on the way out of the hunt area at the very end of his hunt. Other folks get lucky and get into more & legal rams early in their hunts. Better lucky than good I always say.

Sorry to be so long winded. Hope this helps a little. If you want to talk we can figure out a time to link up.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom