Eelgrass' Secret Hunting Spot

kilowatt

Well Ransom and RELH, think I have found the spot that Eelgrass uses for hunting that he won't let anyone know where it is located. Took some doing but with the help from old archives, I was able to locate the spot and he sure has the advantage on the game too. Looks like he has been using this same secret spot for a long time but that hat never leaves his head.
What do you think, does he have an advantage over the local blacktail bucks or not??
The combined age of both those redwoods are 5,000 years of growth up there.

4722eelsstand.jpg

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

No! he did not, but from looks of that picture, he has been sitting in that same spot since the days of Elmer Keith. Must be one hell of a producer to stay that long with the same spot watching the same game trail.

Kilo I think you have found it after all. When do we sneak in and take over his honey hole?

RELH

I can read Eel's mind sitting up there "how the heck do I get off of this thing without breaking my neck?"

At first glance the log butt on the bottom, with the sign on it, looked like a decaying giant turtle shell!

I never realized that Eel was a tree stand hunter, I always figured him for a spot-and-stalk kind of a guy. I guess it makes more sense now when he talks about taking a nap ON his treestand.

I also never realized that he hunted deer with a .22.

Great idea to post your treestand with a no hunting sign. Keeps people away and makes it easier to find in the dark.

I didn't plant that tree, but I fell it. You can see the notches for the spring boards just below my feet.

If you'll notice, this photo was taken a few years after RELH burned me out with his jug of kerosene. The huntin's been really good since then. That sure was a hot fire!

I couldn't afford a centerfire until 1935 or 1936, so I made do with the .22

That's a little huckleberry bush growing out of the top next to me. It's still there. The bucks get hard horned right after the huckleberries get ripe, as a general rule.

Eel

P.S. Brian, you even have me believing that's me. LOL!

I actually logged old growth redwood back in the mid 60's. We fell one tree that was 14' diameter on the stump. The bark was 17" thick.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom