Elk 21

H

HerbD

Just curious if anyone from this board will be hunting 21 this coming weekend?
Some friends and I will be joining the "zoo" there for a few days before heading out to other areas.
If you see a pink (coral) and white CJ (my wife's Barbie Jeep) stop by and say hello etc.
Good luck!

Herb

I hunt 21 after the 21st, you don't have to put up with the Zoo and the elk normally have started moving down some. I camped on the stock drive last year on the 23 and there was a total of 3 camps, it was nice

3 camps..that does sound nice. Will you be camping there again?
The reason I'm asking is that I might want to park my old Jeep in someone's camp overnight as that would save me driving it from Riverbend campground at Savery in the mornings.
It all depends. If I don't get a bull shortly after the 15th I'd like to stay on for the cow hunt.Then,on the other hand,my nephew might want to run up to Pinedale for a couple of days because he's got to get horns.
Obviously you are going for a cow. Have you hunted there much?
As for me, last year was the first time in 7 years that I didn't draw that tag, so I got lucky and drew New Mexico instead.

Herb

We were one of those camps last year, shouldn't be a zoo because of the no camping rule because of the possible prescribed burn. hunted this year during archery season and came close but didn't score, doesn't seem to be as many bulls as last year but it may improve if they start to move down.

I'll be in sometime after the 23rd, we camp north west of 70. not sure if the band goes over there I'll call the Nat Forest. ( I just did! It's a holliday)
My Nephew got back from Iraq the 1st part of Sep and lives back east, I got him a cow tag so It will be after the 24th we hunt. If G&F gets their head out we'll run to Cheyenne to cut up his cow then run to Jackson for Bison, I got # 55 on the bull list. if I don't see anything from G&F in the next week I'll stay till my son gets back from work near Pinedale and we'll spend the week up there hunting Cows (camping).
Other than Battle Mt I've hunted all over 21 for the last 25 years.

USA been hearing a lot of reports that there are not as many good bulls this year from 21 and 13.

USA
I hope you're right that the bull numbers might improve.

Gotlost
Congrats on the bison number and good luck on getting called.When I hunted up there a few years ago a neighbor at the motel got a real nice one.
Thats been one of my ambitions too.I'll probably have to settle for a ranch hunt though.
You must know 21 inside and out having hunted there that long. I'm still learning about it and still haven't figured out if what I saw was Big or Little Sandstone.Guess my map skills need improvement.
Please let me know if you hear anything about that burn.PM me if you want.

Herb

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-07 AT 07:25AM (MST)[p]DUE TO THE RECENT SNOW THE CONTROLED BURN HAS BEEN CANCELED!

So for all of you coming to the Zoo better get going...if You See a Old 1972 Ford Bronco that is Green and White and Muddy Wave! I live in this country! Good Luck to All!!!!!!

PY

I called the FS today and they said it had been lifted but it never inclued north of Hwy 70. I'll be camped on the stock Drive north of 70 some time after the 23rd. wall tent with a small utility trailer for a kichen. 2001 green KR F-150. Also please leave your fire wood that you don't use stacked were I can see it. I never had to fire up the chain saw last year.

pymulies
That's good news. Are you from Dixon? I vaguely remember seeing a Bronco there.

Gotlost
How far from 70 will you be? Or do you camp right by the corner?
If I see firewood I'll drop it by.That is if I'm still hunting by then.Hopefully I will have gotten a bull by then(to keep up my image to my nephews) but I would love to stay longer for a cow which my wife would prefer anyway.

Herb

I'll be camped just after the 1st gully and before the road gets bad. don't worry about the fire wood, I'll just drive down Sage Creek road and pick it up.

Well, today we start packing and loading with hopes of getting out by Friday afternoon.It took forever getting all the vehicles ready.
Hope to see you both there and maybe I can buy you guys a beer or coffee at the Dixon Club.It's always fun meeting MMers in the field.
pymulies one more question: Do you know if Manbeck shot a big or unusual bull last year?
Good luck!

Herb

Yeah, he shot one last year. It was a small six on both sides but he had a 10 inche forth point shoved into his skull just above the left eye and it came out in the middle of his nose on the right side. Completley ruined his left eye. I teased him on shooting a disabled elk...

PY

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom