Elk 30, 31, 32

H

HillbillyNnevada

Ok, you guy have already given me some input on 30 and 31 because I can't make up my mind on which one I am going to put in for. I am expanding my scope to 32.

I haven't hunted any of these units before. Been to them before. It looks like a checker board of private and public on my map for 30. Are there any access isssues for 30?

I am beginning to like 32 but it doesn't seem to get as much respect as 30 and 31. Why not?

Thank you guys.

I think you could have a good elk hunt in any of those areas. If you're looking for B&C then none of the areas would be good. However, most of us are not and we just want to have a decent hunt, with relatively low pressure, and enough animals to keep us interested. Add to that the chance at a bull over 300" with the possiblity of one up to 50" bigger, then you have yourself a pretty good hunt. I've hunted deer in the area and I've seen elk in both areas 31 and 32, enough to make for a fun hunt. I have not spent as much time in 30. PM me about 32 and I can give you a few tips.

Unit 31 would be your best choice.
497244635e690650.jpg

I have spent 2 years elk hunting 31. The best elk and elk hunting is in 31 IMO. I debated 30 as well, but not worth the cash compared to 31. 31 is a fun elk hunt. Everyone should experience it once.

I thought I read that these areas have been getting hit real bad with gas well drilling. Is this true, and has it affected the hunt quality?

The elk will be on 31 no matter what the game and fish have managed this unit so well you will be spoiled for life.There has been some drilling activity but where in Wyoming can you find without drilling activity?Its a good unit for elk hunting, hard to draw but best elk hunt that I have ever had.

Nice bull Warbirdum.

Since warbirdum had that elk tag a lot has changed. They have increased the tags and did so again in 2009. The trophy quality has gone downhill because of this. They are giving out way too many bull tags now.

There used to be quite a few bulls killed every fall that were the size of warbirdums. And more importantly quite a few that made it through the season. That isn't the case anymore.

Good luck in the draws.

Sure hate to see the tag increases if qaulity is getting hurt.The hunt in 07 was fantastic archery and rifle.My bull looks better in that picture than he is but no regrets very happy to have harvested this bull.
Good luck Wyoming elk applicants.

Doubtful that quality has decreased much since War shot his bull. In 2007 the area had 106 licensed hunters. In 2008 they gave out 100 any tags. The 2009 quota hasn't been set yet. I have my father put in for 31 every year. I'd take that tag every single year if I could draw it. No shortage of quality bulls in 31 if you have some time to scout and put in yer time...

Area 31. This is my elk from area 31 in 2007. Its not very often you get to put a whole 6 point bull elk in the back of your truck.

100_1830.jpg

100_1842.jpg

Heres a truck I took a picture of in 2008 from area 31.
100_3770.jpg

"Doubtful that quality has decreased much since War shot his bull. In 2007 the area had 106 licensed hunters. In 2008 they gave out 100 any tags. The 2009 quota hasn't been set yet. I have my father put in for 31 every year. I'd take that tag every single year if I could draw it. No shortage of quality bulls in 31 if you have some time to scout and put in yer time... "

They gave out more than 100 any tags in 2008. Also there were a couple more landowner tags given out too. That is not added in the total quota that you read off of the game and fish website. And at the last regional game and fish meeting it was said that any elk tag numbers were increasing again in 2009 by 20 or more.

Units 30,31,32 are sensitive elk herds that can't handle a big increase in bull tags. One of the big problems is the access issue. There are literally roads on every ridge and almost in every canyon. Its pretty hard for a bull to escape from all the pressure the whole season. Add in all the mule deer hunters out there and those elk are getting pushed around a lot.

Scouting out there is good to learn sources of water and where the roads are. But to pattern a bull out there is pretty hard. A lot of the elk from 30 get pushed into 31 and vise versa. Way before even a shot rings out on Oct 1st.

Its still a easy hunt for a bull elk, but there are better trophy areas out there with better draw odds than 31 these days. I think a realistic goal can be the size of bull that is in the greenish pickup truck that shedfinder posted. I saw a few similar to that size the last week of the season still running around.

Look at unit 100 these days to see what happens when they keep increasing the tags every year. That unit is completely shot. But will still continue to have poor draw odds because of the ability to load an elk in the back of your truck whole...

I sure wish my elk from 31 in 08 would of loaded whole in back of the truck. Shot it in the bottom of a nasty canyon east of the petroglyphs and he died in the bottom. Should of took one by the road lol.

Good luck in the draws!

Anybody know a guy from Green River that had an elk tag for 31 last year?Ethan was his first name talked to him one day while I was scouting antelope last August we filmed a bear on the south end of little mountain.Anyway have often wondered what size of bull he harvested.Sure wish I had kept his number he also does a ton of ice fishing on the gorge for big macks.Thought one of you Rock springs or Green river guys may know him.He had been watching a real big bull he was going after when the archery hunt opened up.Yes those units can be road hunted to death like you said a road down every ridge that is the only thing I dislike about these 3 units but it sure makes it nice getting your elk to a truck or four wheeler after you score.

Yes my elk is one of the larger bulls we saw. It scores just a little under 300. Almost ever elk we saw was this size or smaller. Only seen I that was noticably bigger but could never get close enough to get him. There were probably a few a little bigger but hard to tell. For me though this is the largest bull that I have shot,and it was definitely the most fun I have ever had hunting. Spent about 8 days down there hunting and saw lots of elk every day. You probably wont get a boone and crocket elk there, but I do have to say "Its not all about the score, its about the experience.

Younghunter, where would you recommend instead for a good chance at a better bull?

You can PM if you prefer.

I have sent you a pm HillbillyNnevada write me back and let me know.

Sureshot send me a message as to what you are looking for and I can help you out.

>Units 30,31,32 are sensitive elk herds
>that can't handle a big
>increase in bull tags.
>One of the big problems
>is the access issue.
>There are literally roads on
>every ridge and almost in
>every canyon. Its pretty
>hard for a bull to
>escape from all the pressure
>the whole season. ...the elk are getting pushed around
>a lot.
>
Thanks for sharing the quality information. It's much appreciated for a WY newbie like myself. Of the three units mentioned, are there any areas that don't have so much road access? I'd like to be able to get away from the ATV's and roads a little ways.

All of those areas have a lot of roads. But, it is possible to find little pockets without some. By little, i mean 3-5 square miles without a road in it, a few with more. Find one of those with a little water nearby and it could pay off.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom