Elk 36A Archery

bubba

Has anyone hunted this unit. I'm going on a guided hunting trip with Wildtimes Hunting Adventures. The dates are sept 23rd to the 29th. I do understand there are wolfs in the area. Just trying to get some general info of the unit.

Is the wolf population as bad as some make it out to be in 36A?

Whats the average bull for this unit?

Has anyone hunted with Wildtimes or hear any info on them?

Should I shoot the first bull that comes in or hold out. This will be my first elk hunting trip.

I have been preparing physically all year for hunting season. This won't be the issue. Elevation might be though.
any additional info welcomed.. or hunting stories in this unit or a picture or two.

Feel free to PM me too!!!

Thanks

Honestly, you should shoot at the first branch antlered bull you see. Unless you show up the first day, and you see a sparkly in the outfitter/guides eye and he says that they have been hearing/seeing bulls all over and he has one staked down for you, then anything with branch-antlers is a real trophy. I'm not saying there aren't big bulls around, but anything you can get to 40 yards is a trophy.

Who runs this guide service now. There are some good bulls in this unit. Guess it depends on if you want to go home with a tag or bull. Still should be able to pull in a six point though. Especially if the guide is worth the $ spent.

Matt Hoffman is the owner. I talked with him on the phone for over an hour. We talked about hunting and family.Most of the outfitters that I called really didn't give me the time of day.. That why I went with Matt and his outfit. He actually listened to what i was looking for. Then I googled him and found an article about how he was going to donate half of his monies that he earned in 2011 from outfitting to a family in need. The family had a young boy named Alex who suffered from seizures. The family racked up alot of bills through the process and Matt Stepped up to help. Thats sealed the deal for me after reading that.... I think he's about the love for the outdoors more than the money... But he still needs to make a living.

It isnt what it was 10 years ago. The unit has been on a heavy decline. Proof? Fish and game took away the youth hunt for cows in that unit due to lack of elk in 36A.. ask what they did with those tags?? They shoved them in unit 37 where elk numbers are just as bad, took away 30 tags for adults total, keeping in mind there were only 75 early and late to begin with, then gave 25 tags to youth for 2 full months. 5 total tags are just gone all together.
Typical bad management. If this outfitter is good, he will put you on a bull. Now, that bull most likely will not be real big, genetics just arent there anymore. A solid 6 is a stretch, a solid 5 is most likely. I see alot more of 5's around that area. With a dry summer they will need water, so i am sure you will be put on a bog or watering hole depending on the water flow and pressure from carnivorous animals.

>It isnt what it was 10
>years ago. The unit has
>been on a heavy decline.
>Proof? Fish and game took
>away the youth hunt for
>cows in that unit due
>to lack of elk in
>36A.. ask what they did
>with those tags?? They shoved
>them in unit 37 where
>elk numbers are just as
>bad, took away 30 tags
>for adults total, keeping in
>mind there were only 75
>early and late to begin
>with, then gave 25 tags
>to youth for 2 full
>months. 5 total tags are
>just gone all together.
>Typical bad management. If this outfitter
>is good, he will put
>you on a bull. Now,
>that bull most likely will
>not be real big, genetics
>just arent there anymore. A
>solid 6 is a stretch,
>a solid 5 is most
>likely. I see alot more
>of 5's around that area.
>With a dry summer they
>will need water, so i
>am sure you will be
>put on a bog or
>watering hole depending on the
>water flow and pressure from
>carnivorous animals.

I hunted Pioneer exclusively for 20 years. In my mind there is no doubt; Wolves moved in, elk moved out. Those that were not eaten. Having said that, wonderful country.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-12 AT 08:42PM (MST)[p]Haha.. real info is what I gave the guy. Any comment that disputes wolves not being there in heavy numbers, low elk numbers, and low trophy quality is a flat out lie. Sorry but its the ugly truth. Just look at the tag numbers over the years. Says alot.
BTW, I realize you work for the forest service in that area, however having hunting, hiking, scouting, camping first hand knowledge for the last 17 years has shown me what has happened to the area.
OP, just look at the numbers on the fish and game website from over the years. Also look at the number of outfitters that have had to close down due to the lack of game and quality hunting.
Perhaps now if they opened up wolf hunting outfitting that could create some revenue.

Take a fishing pole and dont forget to enjoy the beautiful area. Your guide will have the answers to all your posted questions. Please buy a wolf tag, bear tag, Mt Lion tag and help out if the opportunity comes along. Let us know how your hunt turns out.

JB

Thanks for all the input guys.Believe me I'll post up after the hunt.Hopefully with pictures...

Thanks

Bubba

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom