Elk Activity in Late October

Hunt4Elk6x6

I drew a muzzy tag in unit 15 for late October. Just curious what the elk activity is like in the Gila around that time frame, post rut. Can I still expect to hear a bugle or two? Will they still respond to a cow call here and there? What's the weather typically like around this time? Are the bulls active at all? Does the warmer weather in NM push the rut back toward the end of September/early October? I've never been to New Mexico. Just getting a feel for things. Thanks!

>I drew a muzzy tag in
>unit 15 for late October.
>Just curious what the elk
>activity is like in the
>Gila around that time frame,
>post rut. Can I still
>expect to hear a bugle
>or two? Will they still
>respond to a cow call
>here and there? What's the
>weather typically like around this
>time? Are the bulls active
>at all? Does the warmer
>weather in NM push the
>rut back toward the end
>of September/early October? I've never
>been to New Mexico. Just
>getting a feel for things.
>Thanks!

You may get a few squeals back man ,just early and late. For this particular hunt , high vantage and good glass is your best friend.

The weather plays a huge factor in this unit. I was there last year.I scouted it and was up to my ears in elk. The week of the Muzzy hunt it rained every day and the Elk were no where to be found. Talked to about 30 guys up there and they had the same bad luck. The following week weather was better and I heard they hammered the Elk. Just my opinion. I'm sure others have had a different experience.

>The weather plays a huge factor
>in this unit. I was
>there last year.I scouted it
>and was up to my
>ears in elk. The week
>of the Muzzy hunt it
>rained every day and the
>Elk were no where to
>be found. Talked to about
>30 guys up there and
>they had the same bad
>luck. The following week weather
>was better and I heard
>they hammered the Elk. Just
>my opinion. I'm sure others
>have had a different experience.
>

What season were u there?

I'm sorry to hear that, mailman. I hope that's not the case for my hunt. BUGLEnmIN, what has been your experience? Any others who could add their thoughts would be appreciated as well. My dates are Oct. 22-26.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-16 AT 09:19AM (MST)[p]I drew the 2nd smoke pole in 15 last year, scouted that unit 4-5 times. Lots of animal, hunting time came around I got skunked, saw a few bulls with some cows but they were at a far distance tried bugling and cow calls, they responded somewhat but didn't bring them in. Also talked to various hunters they also had tag soup.

They can be bugling in Nov.,but not likely.That's pretty much a post rut hunt in 15.Some late rutting could be going on still. Good bulls will be hiding in the hidey holes.

Hit/Miss for the most part. Ive seen some September-like action in late October while other years it would be like you expect.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom