elk Back door?

adamwipp07

Does any one know when we can expect elk back door to be up? I read in the deer thread that the deer tags where cut 25%, where the elk tags cut also?

They'll be up this week, Thursday would be my guess.
I didn't hear of any drastic cuts across the board for elk but I haven't been following the tag numbers that closely for elk this year..
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Thanks mntman just wondering, I just put in for points this year, but im hoping to be tagging along with my dad on his elk hunt, he has 22 points going into draw, and im really hoping to be hearing bugling come October 1

LAST EDITED ON May-14-13 AT 08:31PM (MST)[p]

That document lists recommendations submitted on April 22nd. May meeting was when actual numbers were set. normally, they just rubberstamp the recommendations, but they don't have to.

Haven't had time to look through it, but here is the link to the tag numbers actually approved:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCol...ommission/2013/May/ChW-2-Quota-AsApproved.pdf

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I read the allocations for deer from the link provided. Most stayed the same and I saw more increases than decreases, nothing significant, though.

mtnman:

Are you still figuring tomorrow for back door? I am thinking that is about a week earlier than last year.

Not sure if it's true or not, but read on another forum that elk will be drawn tomorrow. Anyone on here have any intel?

Just a guess but I base it off the time between the elk and deer results each year. Seems like Thursday is a common day for them to be released too if my memory is correct.
Mntman

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Wasn't the first time I was wrong and sure as He!! won't be the last time :)
Mntman

had high hopes for draw results today when system was down all afternoon! Looks like Ill have to keep waiting, hopefully Monday

congrats DS, hope you can share some success photos with us this fall.

I am now up to 9 points :-(

Mntman

LAST EDITED ON May-18-13 AT 06:03AM (MST)[p]congrats to all who drew. Got another pp. Man this year sucks. I drew 1 out of 13 tags.

LAST EDITED ON May-18-13 AT 06:38AM (MST)[p] After 23 years of putting in for unit 2 early rifle, my dad finally drew. Cant wait to get out and start scouting.

My wife drew a 61 first rifle tag,, but I am going to have to have her turn her tag back in because I drew a bighorn sheep tag and only have 1 week of vacation. Oh well great problem to have is it easy to turn a tag back in and keep all your points?

>My wife drew a 61 first
>rifle tag,, but I am
>going to have to have
>her turn her tag back
>in because I drew a
>bighorn sheep tag and only
>have 1 week of vacation.
> Oh well great problem
>to have is it easy
>to turn a tag back
>in and keep all your
>points?

If you turn your tag in do you still get a point for this year, along with keeping your points?

WELL 17 N.R. points was not enough to draw unit 61 Archery Elk for me even with the increase in tags.It will be interesting to see the statistics when they come out.quite a few should have drawn in my point pool.

>>My wife drew a 61 first
>>rifle tag,, but I am
>>going to have to have
>>her turn her tag back
>>in because I drew a
>>bighorn sheep tag and only
>>have 1 week of vacation.
>> Oh well great problem
>>to have is it easy
>>to turn a tag back
>>in and keep all your
>>points?
>
>
>If you turn your tag in
>do you still get a
>point for this year, along
>with keeping your points?

You will retain your points if you forfeit the tag cost. You will not earn another point for 2013. You will have the number of points you had after the 2012 draw.

Well oilcan I am in your point pool and I did not draw either...
Too far in too back out now but dang I am getting a little long in the tooth to hunt those deep dark holes of the UNC.

>WELL 17 N.R. points was not
>enough to draw unit 61
>Archery Elk for me even
>with the increase in tags.It
>will be interesting to see
>the statistics when they come
>out.quite a few should have
>drawn in my point
>pool.

I almost wish I could swap draws with you, as it looks like I pulled unit 61 archery with 17 points. I know it's strange to say that after 18 years of applying, but wouldn't you know it this is the year that I also got lucky and pulled a New Mexico unit 36 hunt from 9/13-9/22. Oh well, there are worse situations to be in! Just going to have to figure out how to work the two hunts.

Sludge to tell you the truth I am relieved I didn't draw.I drew a Utah Elk tag and still have a few more possible draws left.

>Sludge to tell you the truth
>I am relieved I didn't
>draw.I drew a Utah Elk
>tag and still have a
>few more possible draws left.
>

Good luck in Utah. I'm up to 10 points there. Kind of no man's land for that state other than a Wasatch archery hunt. Which unit did you pull?

I checked and my Son now has "0" Preference Points. He applied for Unit 49 1st season. After burning all of my PP's on a Unit 61 tag last year, I now have one PP.

61 Archery! It only took 18 points. That suprises me that the guys with 17 didn't. This point creep is getting out of hand.

I only show my application in through the back door. But show 0 points.. I guess they didnt update points yet??? Anybody else see this or have the same thing- Hatrick

Hatrick,

I'm guessing the same thing. Not completely updated yet.

Two buddies and myself applied as a group and none of us have a difference from last years points and no NR draw code listed on our account.

No need to be disappointed yet (we hope.)

JimmyA

A buddy and I are in the same boat. Website isnt showing anything yet for us but my wife's has been updated.

My pref point total shows 1 elk point, and I previously had no elk points, so clearly some accounts are being updated.

Well, once again no archery elk tag in unit 61. Now im the proud owner of 18 worthless colorado elk points. Looks like im not the only one though. This is crazy how bad the point creep has gotten

Wahoo, drew my second choice and got a PP. Was concerned I'd have to go the OTC route since the CPW cut a few tags. The cut means a few less in the field to compete with this year, but more difficult to draw next year. Good with the bad I guess.

I checked and it was updated and shows We drew. Good luck to all this fall- Hatrick

No, there are no weighted points for elk. So if you had 8 going in to the draw, you now have 9 and did not draw your first choice. However, you could have drawn your second choice. You have to check the other back door to see that.

txhunter58

Everyone must be trying to log in. Just get error when I try this evening

txhunter58

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom