Elk Bone And A question!!!!!!

IDBoneCollector

Here is what my buddys and i found after two time out. Not too bad. I only got to go one of the times though.

6584atl1.jpg

First brown i Found ATL.

9239myset.jpg

The set My buddy found the six point side,

1852scotts,set.jpg

I didnt find either of these sides but my two friends that were with me shared the effort in locateing these

71952timeout.jpg

Here is everything that we found in the two times out. some pretty good bone.
Now for my Question, Say you find A single side to an elk rack soon after your discovery your buddy you are with spotts the other side who gets the set? The way I have always felt is the first person whom finds the first side also gets the second if he of she so pleases. The reason I ask this is this happend to one of the guys i was with today Twice. now he is kinda upset which i can understand just curious how everyone else works something like this, I did after i realised he was upset offer him my complete set, but too proud to take it just curious to see what everyone else would do?

well i dont really know why the one pic didnt work but it was of the set in the top left corner of the pic with all the horns. the one side sword tine is about 27 inches long and he would have been in the mid 300s if he wasnt broken up

whoever finds the 1st side gets the set, if their with you. I mean thats the whole reason your still in that exact area is trying to locate the other side.

That is what i have always thought, But i will still give him the set, i just dont see any reason for lettin a friend be mad about a piece of bone idk.

Someone needs to write a book about this. Every single time me and my buddies go out, this dilema always comes up in a conversation. I think that if your with the person on the same trip the the set always goes to the guy that finds the first bone. No questions. I've handed over the other side of a 230 buck to my buddy without blinking an eye. Then there are some guys that would freak out. You could bring all kinds of variables into it...who drove out, who invited whom, who's honeyhole/spot is it, on and on. It has only been a problem with us if it's a big set. We've matched up tons of little guys and don't care if a buddy finds the other side. He can keep it. It's when your dealing with a couple 380 plus sides when it kinda gets weird. Anyway, someone should write a book on buddy shed hunting ethics.

Hornhog2, Yea it is sure kinda funny how attitudes about this change when they sheds start getting big, I can see why he got up set, he was in on finding both of the sets but it was the second horn that he spotted so there the rule applies. We have always practiced this but it is the first time we did this over a couple larger sets just wanting to see how everyone else felt about this.

We always do '1st side gets the set'. But if it's someone I haven't hunted with, I make sure and tell them before we go out.

My buddies and I have a system that seems to work well for us. "Joe" finds half a 350" bull. "Bob" finds the other side. Joe gets the option to trade for the other side. Like a comparable single for the matching side, or 15 lbs of raghorn for a 10 lb single etc. So far, this has been a great arrangement. Everybody gets something, both are happy. We've had a similar situation as the one you've mentioned, and in that, we just traded one side for one side, so both guys walked away with a set. First finder got to pick which one he kept. As I write it out, it kind of sounds like a bunch of four year olds but it has really worked well to keep relations good all around.

Like someone else said, if it's a smaller set, it's not really an issue, we just give the matching side to the first finder, it all evens out over time.

We like to keep it simple, who ever finds the first side always gets the match, no questions asked. I've had a buddy have to give me the match to a 400" shed, but at the same time I found a match and earlier set off of a 190+ buck that he picked up the first side to, and I ended up giving him all three antlers. Typically if you shed hunt with someone for any length of time it works out in the end.

Most of the time, if they find the match it's because their there to help look for it. If the first side was never found they probably wouldn't be in the area. Just my two cents.

Ya, like Tree said, my buddies and I decide on the rules before we go out for the day. But almost always, whoever finds the first side gets to keep the set.

between my buddies and i if each finds one side to a set you keep it. no one keeps the set. keeps the fighting and bickering down.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-10 AT 11:14PM (MST)[p]With us, (Team WAM) we use the same thing, whomever finds the first gets the second, even if it is the next year. Now if it is a big set one only finds one side we would usually do say a trade for something else. But at the same time no need to fight and argue over bone.
If someone is to find one out of our group and just say like AnlerFest I have a freshie and see and match the other side when its a year old from some normal Joe, I would either buy or trade, just knowing they may not just give it up. If it were to be me, I would give it up if found second, either friend or foe cause I hate seeing sets not together. Just my 2 cents.

Just like last year, I went out and found a single freshie, well the next weekend went back to same spot with a friend who hasnt shed hunted to much found the other side, well I didnt say anything about what we do in this situation to him, well he found the other side. I told him I had the other side at home, he said no way, well sure enough it was. I told him its mine, he laughed so intead of making it a big deal, I gave it to him. But he knows now.

Any way, thats our way.

Here is my buddy holding up the big and broken up set. Just for a size referance i guessed the 4th tine on the bulls left side to be around 27"

7331scotto.jpg

This happened to me a couple weeks ago. I found a good 7 point elk antler. Called a buddy over to help me find the other side. We look around & I spot an antler on the next ridge about 600 yards away. Assuming it's the other side we make our way over & my buddy finds a bigger 7 point shed on the way. The biggest antler he's ever found & he's been into it for 10+ years. When we get to the antler I spotted, it's the match to the antler he just picked up. Who get's the set? I spotted mine first, but he picked his up first. By the way, he also found the match to the first 7 point I picked up. What is fair?

RG13, That is prety much what happened with my set, i glassed my side first layin tines down in a draw i went and got it, couldnt find he other side so i drove around and spotted my buddys and waved them over i showed them where i picked up the first side and where i guessed the other side would be turnes out i was right the other side was laying about 100 yards above the other antler on the side of the hill. I know if i hadent waved them over I would have spotted the other side by myself and then thier wouldnt have been any question who's set it was then. But in your situation eveen though i would say they are both you sets i think i would take one set and he could have one. unless he had plans of selling them then i would keep both

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom