Elk Bugle and wolves

I

ID4x4

Just curious as to what you think the effect of wolves have had on elk bugling during the rut? I will be archery hunting this year for the first time in 10 years and curious as to what you think?

I personally hunt ina unit that does not have a rut hunt at all whowever I do spend a large amount if time in the woods during the rut on my bear hunts, and the last few years where the Wolves have moved in heavily I have noticed a dramatic drop int he Elks bugling and they have a higher sense of alertness than usual for that time of year. its a real shame.

Your right on with less elk to bugle. I am having a real hard time deciding where to go due to wolves where I have historically hunted but I guess that's a new challenge for me. I'm really looking forward to being out in September regardless. Too bad I can't carry a wolf tag with me which I was hoping to do.

I cant agree more in regards to the wolf tag, I have run into them a few times during the day while hunting and would love to have been able to place a tag on one and know that becasue of that fact there would be a few more Elk around next year. a real dissapointing deal.

i think the elk have learned that bugling brings in wolves, and that they have slowed down on bugling. just my 2 cents from hunting in the island park area.
46cfa7275632b29c.jpg

I hate to be in the minority here but my experience is that the wolves have had little effect on the elk bugleing. I hunted an area last year with my son and we both had cow tags, it was the 1st week in Oct. and the bulls were bugleing there heads off. The rut was winding down by then and there were plenty of wolves in the area. If the elk were trying to keep the wolves from finding them by being quiet, they screwed up that plan big time. This was unit 39. Perhaps you fellas have some other observations. Having said that, I do believe that the wolves are having an effect on the number of elk to hunt. Not in a good way. I did see elk every time I went out last year though.
Its fair chase, or its foul!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom