Elk bugle reviews?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-13 AT 12:06PM (MST)[p]I have 2 tubes....the Select A Bull by Bugling Bull Game Calls and Point Blank Rock Hard Grunt Tube. I like the Point Blank Rock Hard a little better than the Select A Bull. You can get the same sounds on both except the lip ball. The Point Blank has a wider mouth piece end which helps you vibrate your lips better to get the lips bawl out. The Point Blank is very easy to carry also. I want to try the Bully Bull Grunt by Bugling Bull next.

Being new to Elk hunting in general, but lots of experience with other calls, you might take this with a grain of salt. I bought the
Bully Bull Grunt Tube and their 101 Diaphram. I did find the mouth opening a bit small for lip bawls. As far as locator bugles, and again, I am going off what I hear a real bull do, it sounds and preforms great.

With that being said, I did watch an Elk hunting video and this guys calling sounded like a kid twirling a garden hose around in the air, but the bulls came running... I'm thinking of just cutting up my better half's garden hose.

I've got the Elknut mini Chuckler but I have to say I've never been able to get quality bugling sounds out of it with my diaphragm. Maybe it's me or maybe it's the diaphragm I'm using but I just can't make it work. Thinking about trying an external reed system to see if it's easier to get good sounds/tone. Anyone have experience with both?

I can pretty much tell when someone is tooting on a canned elk call, the all in one kind. It's much harder to tell when a talented guy is using a seperate diaphragm and tube. In Colorado you have to be real careful when you call, or know when not to call as in most OTC units the elk are quite educated.

I always Imagine a couple of older bulls up on a knob above a road. They hear a quad pull up, shut off, guys talking, the sound of a guy zipping down his pant to take a leak, a finally a bugle rip. Then the bulls start guessing which kind of bugle it is. Probably one of those Primos ones with the blue thing on the end. Then the bulls answer back, and mess with the guys all morning, make them run to the top of the mountain and leave the country, without ever showing themselves.

I'd like to share a story about bugling as a tactic.

I really don't ever bugle at pressured elk. Two years ago, a friend and I who were on the same fire crew had only the last two days of the season to hunt on account of work, so we couldn't get away from the roads very far. We wen't to a really high pressure area, where several bulls had been killed already that year. We hunted all morning, and heard quads, and the several guys bugling like crazy, even bugling back and forth to each other.

We were sitting on a knob, much like the elk in the scenario above, at about 2:30 pm. I'm half asleep, and I heard what sounded like a glunk. I wasn't sure if I had dreamed it or not, so I sat up and looked at my buddy, and he heard it too. We sat up and listened more intently, and about a half hour later sure enough there was another glunk, in the basin directly below us, between us and the quad trail, where people were still driving by and bugling.

We sat there for a few more minuets and let the situation develop, and it became clear that the bull was trying his best to communicate with other elk in the area, without alerting all the dozens of hunters in the area. We brainstormed and came up with a plan. We decided to drop down a few hundred feet, and gain a low saddle between two little basins, down near the quad trail. We waited for the wind to get just right, my buddy set up on the bulls side of the saddle, and I let out a very soft cow call, and then walked over the saddle and let out another soft call. The bull responded instantly with continuous almost silent glunking, and began walking slowly after me. He almost stepped on my friend, who put an arrow through him at less than 4 yards. The bulls blood-trail actually crossed the quad trail.

This experience to me illustrated the importance of knowing when to not call, and certainly to stay away from easily recognizable and popular bugle designs.

Now I know I'm cutting up the garden hose! Great story oldoregon and for the first time the video I watched had the same guy glunking with his grunt tube... I can see that.

"I really don't ever bugle at pressured elk"

That pretty much hits it on the head for most of Colorado.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom