Elk bugling in Sept

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Do bull elk start bugling in Sept throughout most areas in the west or is it earlier or later depending on if you're north in Idaho or South in NM? Thanks...

Same from my experience, except Tule elk start very early like the end of July early August. I find that the dates and intensity seem to be different year to year, and in some areas, the bugling can be very intense in October one year, not so much another. I have hunted NM and Arizona several times and can't remember that they started any earlier than here in Idaho. That said, hopefully I get a NM tag and they start early. ;)

I have bulls bugling the first of Sept in every western state I hunt, that said, herd composition plays a big role. The SW states like
AZ and NM had much more bugling than here in OR.

It seems the further South you go the later the rut/bugle season. Utah is usually mid September, last year late September was prime time in Arizona

In Northwest Colorado they usually begin mid-September and at times go until early November. The biggest bull I have taken was bugling 2cnd week of November--his mistake, I got him. hunting pressure seems to have a lot to do with it.

Thanks for the info guys....any OTC early archery tags in any states for a rookie to get his feet wet? I' guessing since early is prime time, the answer is probably no. Thanks so much for the replies.

Although not OTC, I’ve hunted Wyoming’s general hunt the last 2 years, and had bulls screaming during their archery hunt. The last week in Utah can be good, but a lot of it depends on weather, and when the hunt actually ends. This year the hunt ends September 11th if I remember correctly, and it’s going to be tough.

If you must know I will tell you. But you have to promise not to tell anybody. In a nutshell It's the amount of light that hits the retina of the elks eye. Therefore the darker days the sooner they rut. Cloudy days storms are all good indicators.

I have heard bugles twice in June in AZ. Once all night, so by daylight I was on them to try to see what the heck was going on. It was two spikes with some cows and calves. Best I could tell they were practicing? Wouldn't have believed it but I have video. Weird.

Bulls bugle more when cows come into estrus, usually in September, and early October. Sometimes a cow comes in the second or 3rd cycle in November/December and bulls bugle. I have heard bulls bugle in July playing around, not rutting. Also heard them in December. In Utah the peak of the rut is around September 20th most years. Herd dynamics, temperature and weather does have a role. Rutnbuck is correct, shortness of days stimulate hormonal changes, that brings on the rut.

OTC tags in Idaho can get you into elk but the bulls are call shy unless you stay in cover and get close. Last I checked there were some decent tags left for purchase but I believe they recently raised their NR prices.
I have hunted archery NM the last few years and the potential to have a fantastic rut hunt is always there, but usually fades away due to hot weather or pressure or monsoon rain storms like last year. The key to being successful in NM is to remain flexible in your hunting plan and tactics and to know when to move to a new area.
NM is an excellent archery state with reasonable cost and decent tag opportunities if you want to gain archery bull experience.
An often overlooked part of NM hunting is to gain some local contacts through this and other social media platforms. Prior to our first trip there I had a few conversations with a local resident who offered advice on how to manage our approach to the hunt and advice on where to concentrate our efforts. Advice that helped us fill our tags and to find a bull that wandered some after the shot.

Busted

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom