Elk Companion Tag for AZ 13A?

HikeHunt61

Very Active Member
Anybody know where in 13A the rogue elk tend to be in? My son and I got lucky in the random draw with deer licenses, and it came to my attention we could purchase "companion tags" for elk. I understand they are simply trying to keep the elk out of the unit to focus it on deer. We would not spend time looking for elk specifically unless we both tag out early, but if we end up hunting in country where elk tend to be in, I'd hate to pass up on easy meat.

There's supposedly only a couple dozen in ALL 4 of the units. Not sure where you might find them, but I'd bet more likely in 12 a/b. You are allowed to hunt any of the 4 units for elk, right?

The regulations aren't super-clear, but it appears that the companion tag is limited to those who got a permit in the unit. I suppose to limit the number of hunters running around during the once in a lifetime hunt. I had a 13B permit almost ten years ago, and we saw elk sign a couple of times (along with a shed antler). And although it's possible- Kanab canyon provides quite the barrier between the 12s and 13s- my wild ass guess is the elk may go back and forth in the 13s but not so much across to the 12s. I know deer do some crossing though...

If you are right, and there are only 20-30 elk across all 4 units, it'd be a lottery event to find an elk there- probably not even worth the $34 and trip to the G&F office...

The regulations aren't super-clear, but it appears that the companion tag is limited to those who got a permit in the unit. I suppose to limit the number of hunters running around during the once in a lifetime hunt. I had a 13B permit almost ten years ago, and we saw elk sign a couple of times (along with a shed antler). And although it's possible- Kanab canyon provides quite the barrier between the 12s and 13s- my wild ass guess is the elk may go back and forth in the 13s but not so much across to the 12s. I know deer do some crossing though...
Hmmm, I'm not positive that's the case. I just looked at the regs & can't find anything about 'companion tag' or that one must have a deer permit to purchase one of the 750 available, which are good for all 4 units.

"Elk tags are offered thru the draw system. It is recommended that hunters do not apply for this hunt in the draw but rather purchase the tags at a significant discount as left over tags."

If you are right, and there are only 20-30 elk across all 4 units, it'd be a lottery event to find an elk there- probably not even worth the $34 and trip to the G&F office...
They don't even mention them for 13A/B

12B: Hunters purchasing an elk tag should be aware that this unit has very few elk and is considered a limited opportunity hunt. In the last few years, only a few elk or elk sign has been seen, mainly around Rock Canyon and the Pine Hollow habitat treatments.

12A: In the last couple of years, only a few elk have been spotted and harvested in the vicinity of Mile and a Half Lake south to Franks Lake, on the west side of the Kaibab Plateau.

1633553880032.png

From this years general hunt regs. The notes state that only mule deer tag owners can buy them.

I assume they just added that "opportunity" so that those that hunters that draw deer tags could have the chance to buy them in the event the 750 tags they sell as left-overs (good across all four units) are taken before the deer hunters have the chance to buy them. If you look in the elk regulations, there are 750 "Minimal Occurrence" permits given out for use in all of those units that are still good Oct 22 - Dec 31. As was said previously, almost nobody applies for those tags in the drawing and they are sold at a reduced price as leftover tags. I believe success is usually well under 1%. So, I guess there are almost 1,500 tags sold now for these near non-existant elk.

I assume they just added that "opportunity" so that those that hunters that draw deer tags could have the chance to buy them in the event the 750 tags they sell as left-overs (good across all four units) are taken before the deer hunters have the chance to buy them. If you look in the elk regulations, there are 750 "Minimal Occurrence" permits given out for use in all of those units that are still good Oct 22 - Dec 31. As was said previously, almost nobody applies for those tags in the drawing and they are sold at a reduced price as leftover tags. I believe success is usually well under 1%. So, I guess there are almost 1,500 tags sold now for these near non-existant elk.
Bingo. That's what I was looking at.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom