Elk draw application question

vthokee

I have a question that I cannot find the answer for on the application process. With the attach feature where a hunter can apply and then get a attach code for other hunters to attach to the application, can non-residents do this? I am a resident and will apply for said unit. If my uncles want to apply and use my attach code what pool does that put all of us in? Since I am a resident and stand a better chance of getting drawn will they stand the same chance? or Will we all go in the non-resident pool? Can't find a answer in any of the regs. If it's there I definitely over looked it.

I asked the NMDGF the same question via email a couple weeks ago. Here's the response I got:
"Residents who apply with one or more nonresidents will be issued a license only if there are licenses available for both the resident and nonresident pools. Please check out our website for more information by logging into your account and selecting how the draw works, increase draw odds, using draw odds reports, and drawing odds reports. "

Basically, you would be subject to the NR odds.

Thanks for the response. I looked at a few areas were I think we could have a good chance at drawing a tag. We had talked about going to Colorado since they are over the counter but I got to thinking about having them attach to my application. Guess either way it wouldn't hurt.

Do you guys know how this works if both are Res? I'm putting in with my wife and want to apply together for Elk and Deer. Do you know if one draws does that mean both draw or do both have to successfully draw separately? I'm still waiting on my email response from the NMDGF.

My understanding is that they treat it as a group application if everyone is a resident. If they pull your number you all get tags as long as there are sufficient tags remaining for the unit you applied for. I don't think this improves your odds of drawing (since the group is basically treated as a single application), but it does guarantee that IF you draw, you all draw and can hunt together.

Interestingly, in NM they will reject individual applicants out of a group if there is a problem (app not filled out properly, etc.). From the Game and Fish website
"Individual applicants can be rejected from party applications. Be sure that everyone on your application has correctly and completely filled out the form and has fulfilled all other requirements (mandatory harvest reports for prior year deer, elk or trapping, for example)."

I think that is great. Other states (i.e., AZ) will throw out everyone if there is a mistake on one of the applications.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom