Elk Guides

I have only been on one guided hunt and it was in Arizona unit 9 for Elk. I went with Steve Chappell. I had an excelent hunt and would highly recomend him to anybody.

For what's it's worth.... I called and talked with the guides I was thinking of going with to see if we had the same expectations/goals. I simply seemed to get along with Steve from the start and was glad to hunt with him. He ran a great camp is was really fun to hunt with.

Not sure about specific units yet...as I have accumulated some points now I still have a few years to go before I probably get drawn. Just wanted to check with a few guides and get a feel for the different units and what might be available. Thanks for the replies thus far.

There's lots of choices for good guides in AZ, a lot of it depends on what unit you're looking to hunt. I sent you a PM.

I hunted AZ for the first time in September. I can certainly tell you who NOT to use. My outfitter screwed me over in a major way.

>^^^^
>
>Do tell?

It is a very long story but after providing two hunters to my outfitter (myself and one other), I showed up to camp and was assigned my guide.

Side note - When I booked in the Spring I told the outfitter that there were two specific guides that my buddy and I wanted. We were assured that this would be taken care of.

Back to my story....my buddy was assigned one of the two guides that we were promised (the outfitter himself) and I was assigned a different guide (not the other guy we had requested.....he wasn't in camp).

I won't bore you guys with all of the details but it quickly became apparent that I had been screwed. As time went by I found that my guide knew NOTHING about elk hunting and learned that he had never set foot in the unit until a day or two before my hunt. Nice guy but his absolute lack of hunting knowledge was atrocious. Finally after four days I was reassigned to a different guide. I went home empty handed. That was my fault. I missed a shot at 42 yards (miscommunication between the guide and I....I thought he said 60 yards).

There is a lot more to the story. I will say this, there were 5 hunters in camp and there were 2 actual guides. The other three were buddies who supposedly had some sort of hunting experience. I can also say with certainty that the outfitter will have a hard time coming up with a good referral out of the camp of guys hunting 5BS.

Oh yeah, and I had left my target there in camp when I left. I was back down a few days later and was going to go pick up my target. Texted the outfitter to tell him I was going to grab it and he said that he didn't want me in camp and that he would mail it to me. Guess what I never received.

There is ALOT more to the story but I'm typing on my phone and don't feel like hammering it out on this tiny keyboard.

>Doesn't sound like he was too
>pleased with you as a
>client.

He didn't have an issue with me until I called him out.

I drove back down (about 10 hours each way) to hunt the last day of the season. Ran into him while I was hunting. He was scouting for his own rifle hunt that began the next day. He got pissed and wanted to know why I hadn't called him (and paid him more money) when I decided to come back down. I told him that I felt like he had screwed me out of $5,750, plus time, money and effort getting ready for the hunt, plus the money and years spent acquiring 11 points to get the tag. He yelled at me and said I had no character for hunting with someone else on my last day.

I assure you, there are plenty of folks who can back up what I've said....and I haven't even said it all.

It would be nice to hear his side of the story. Having been an outfitter for 20+ years with referral business only I would be curious to know his thoughts

LAST EDITED ON Jan-02-17 AT 09:54PM (MST)[p] I HAVE HUNTED ELK WITH STEVE CHAPPELL, (2013 BOWHUNT)...I WOULD NOT HESITATE TO HUNT WITH HIM AGAIN. HE IS FRIENDLY, KNOWS WHERE TO FIND BULLS, NO PRESSURE, AND GETS THOSE BULLS IN CLOSE WHILE CALLING. I DONT THINK AN ARIZONA ELK HUNTER CAN DO ANY BETTER THAT TO BOOK A HUNT WITH STEVE......TOOK A 6X6.......YD.

I have hunted Arizona twice in the last 5 years. Both hunts were excellent hunts with lots of elk encountered. I suggest that you start calling elk outfitters and engage them in conversation. I realize you don't have a tag but start building a relationship with these guys.

To draw a tag make sure you put in for the lesser units. Everybody wants a unit 9/1/22/10 tag. I get it. Trust me there are great bulls in all of the Arizona units. Apply for a lesser unit and go hunt a 320 bull is an awesome lookin critter.

Arizona is one state that has a wealth of very good outfitters.
Several of the Guides that advertise right here on Monster Muleys have outstanding reputations.
If I were you, I would PM RdRdrFan and find out who he had the bad experience with, and scratch that name off your list.

I spoke with many outfitters last year including steve chappell and a3. both great guys. I ended up going with greg Krogh and had an excellent hunt. The reason I chose him was because he knew from the first day I spoke with him, who would be my guide and let me speak with him directly.

Check out nicholsguidingservice.com You cant go wrong with these guys. Nichols doesn't guide for elk anymore. Although he might do a 23S hunt as he lives in that unit. He primarily guides for lions statewide and bear on the White Mountain Apache Rez. If you want a big bear ( actually 2 bear limit) he is the 'go to outfitter' for bears.

Sounds like he could go very wrong with them since he is looking for an elk guide and you suggested someone that doesn't guide elk but does guide Bear and lion. Wtf?

I just booked with Steve Chappell, I don't know which unit I drew yet, either 9 or 3C, but Steve took the time to discuss several units with me way before the draw. He took time to hear about what my expectations were and ask some hard questions about what my capabilities were (or what I think they are anyway). I've spoken and hunted with a few outfitters through the years and based on what I heard from Steve and other references which he did not provide, I feel really confident about hunting with his outfit...now if only I may have drawn Unit 9 could this dance be even better!

Good luck guys!

Tony

LAST EDITED ON Mar-21-17 AT 02:13PM (MST)[p]I've been guiding in AZ for elk for over 30 years and Steve Chappell is definitely one of the best in the business. I've referred several clients to him over the years and all had great hunts with him. He is one of the few in the industry that I have never heard anyone say a bad thing ever about. Good luck on your hunt and hope you get a giant!

Greg Krogh

I've Been Guiding elk hunters in AZ for over 30 years and Steve Chappell is one of the very best in the industry. Ive referred several clients to him over the years and they all had great hunts with him. He is one of the few outfitters in the industry that I have never heard anything negative about ever. Good luck on your Hunt and I hope you kill a giant!

Greg Krogh

Good luck on your Hunt and I hope you kill a giant!

Greg Krogh

Thank You Greg (luckynvhunter). I spoke to Steve last night; I've been spending a bunch of time at the hospital as my mother-in-law is pretty sick. I wanted to make make sure I took care of booking with him early even though I don't know which unit (9 or 3C) ill be hunting, so we've been playing phone/text/email tag and the the first thing he always asks about is are how things are going with the family, and never ends a phone call without saying I'll say prayer for her and your family.
You know, more than anything I'd love to kill a smoker bull and I'm preparing extra hard to do so, but you know I've not met Steve personally and I know already this hunt will be special because I'm pretty sure I can tell what kind of guy he is... he wrapped up up our conversation telling me how excited he was for me drawing this hunt and it will be a special experience.
All this to say, I've hunted with less humble outfitters/guides that made you feel like they were doing you a favor and as quick they could get you tagged out the better, one guide told me everyday the amounts of past tips and how much one should tip and how many tightwads he had guided. I saw great bulls during those 5 days but never took one and it was one of the worst hunts I ever had. I think with Steve it'll be all about hunting and talking about things that really matter, whether I hunt with him or one of his guides I'm looking forward it! Good luck to you too man!

Tsbret,

Everything you are saying about Steve Chappell is the reason he has such a great reputation in our industry. Whether you hunt with Steve himself or one of his guides you should have a great hunt. Outfitters like Steve that are genuine hard working guys hire similar minded guys because they know they are a reflection of their organization. Hopefully we will be hearing about your great hunt on MM in the future and I look forward to reading about it. Good luck on your hunt and best wishes for your Mother-in-laws recovery.

Greg

I don't know lucyknvhunter (Greg) but I have been applying for AZ elk for some time now and I am on his e mail list and the info he gives us on the draw and units he hunts and how he keeps us up to date on everything when AZ draw period approaches I can tell his outfit would give a guy as good a hunt as you could get.
I appreciate all the work you put in for your clients and potential clients Greg!!

PEOPLE LIKE STEVE & GREG ARE WHAT GIVES THE OUTFITTING BUSINESS GREAT CREDIBILITY, DESPITE WHAT DAMAGE A HAND FULL OF OTHERS HAVE DONE.

BOTH ARE CLASSY & HONEST PEOPLE.....ITS NO SECRET............THATS WHY THEY BOOK UP FAST..................YD.

I've been good friends with Steve for 12 years and I can say without any hesitation you booked your hunt with one of the Best guides in Arizona! He is humble, easy going and he will call you in a big bull! I'm jealous but happy for you! I'm sitting on 14 points and I can't wait to hunt with Steve! Good luck he sure to post pics!

Jed

A little different perspective - I spent a few days with Steve C. in 2014 during the Kaibab late rifle hunt helping him find a big Kaibab buck. I was a little nervous because of Steve's reputation, but he was a true pleasure to spend time with - friendly, easy going, no pressure, very gracious - even though he didn't tag a buck. I'd book an elk hunt with him with no hesitation - you can't go wrong booking with Steve.

I hunted with Steve in unit 9 in 2015. I would not hesitate to hunt with him again. You are in for a great hunt. Have fun!

Everyone wishing me luck and comments about Steve Chappell....I got excited and posted results on another thread, thanks for all the well wishes and PMS from all, below is my thoughts about how blessed I am and thanks for just letting me blow!

Well the verdict is in I applied for 9 and 3C, and 3C it is, I booked with Steve Chappell immediately after the bank was hit. So what is the word on 3C, any thoughts? Does doing whatever it takes to hunt the edges of the reservation make sense? Is that border tough to get to? I fully trust Steve and I'm so looking forward to the hunt regardless of how it shakes out. From a kid in S Texas reading about hunting in AZ and listening to an uncle that was a highway patrolman in the late 6o''s I've never forgotten that country...win lose or draw I'm all in. Been running in this S Texas heat since before I drew just in case; so for a 60+ yr old guy still ready to get it on I can't wait.
Sorry for the rant, pinch me, still can't believe I'm hunting elk in AZ, with Steve no less...
I'm done ;)

Pm sent with # if you want to chat

I hunted with Greg and my brother hunted with Steve. Both of us would give either the highest recommendations

I am feeling excited for you as I type. My brother posted earlier that he hunted with Greg and that I hunted with Steve and both of us were very happy. I might have a lot of good info for you because I had the same tag as you in 2013 and used Steve Chappel. Steve set me up with a great guide and a great guy for my hunt, and I had contact with my guide well before my hunt. I have a lot that I would be happy to share with you if you want, just reach out to me if you want to talk about my hunt and anything that I did or would do different. Congrats on your tag!

Mark B

I also agree that Steve is a great guy and guide.

Just wanted to let everyone know we've done pretty well in the past with our elk hunters and we don't book a hunt for 5 days. Its the entire season regardless if its archery, muzzleloader or rifle!

And for price, we are proud to say we are the "working man's" guide and you won't need to take out a mortgage to go on a hunt with us.

Lots of references too.

We hunt 7A West, 8, 9, 10, and Units 15A & 18A.

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters
11519img0177.jpg

My Unit 6A muzzleloader bull

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom