Elk Help

Country

Finally going to burn my points on a Colorado elk hunt. Have the horses to get in off the road, looking for a little advice. I have it down to Unit 76 first season, or unit 40. I know unit 40 is covered with private property, but I have also heard that if you do your homework you can also see and have an opportunity at a nice bull on public. Also heard some good things about unit 76 if you have horses like we do, unfortunately do not know the country in either unit, and 76 looks like a lot of country. Not looking for a record bull, would just like to see a lot of elk and have an opportunity at an above average bull. PM if you would like. Thanks for the help.

There is no contest in my opinion! Unit 76 is superior simply due to the amount and quality of public access! There are some good bulls in both but if I had horses and the time I would think that 76 would be a hard to hunt to beat! I would also say that a Muzzy hunt is even better than a 1st rifle! If you have a good muzzy I wouldst roughly consider the muzzy hunt as it is longer and the rut is in full swing.

One issue with 40 is definitely lack of access and animals getting pushed onto private land etc. Also you have no idea what the other tag holder might do, you stand a good chance in 40 of trying pick and hunt the same areas as the other tags holder! If this happens you have very few other options where as 76 you would have lots of options!

Hope it helps, when my wife cashes in her points it will be in 76 on an archery hunt!

Ditto. I've been in 40 often, the locals know and frequent the productive public lands adjacent to the big private spreads. It is a smallish unit, w much private throughout the prime high country.

I'd pick 76 during the rut. The areas that burned 2 years ago would be worth a look, IMO. You will be hunting @ higher elev in 76, 40 tops out around 9.5K elev. Plenty of room to ride away from any hunting pressure in 76.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-15 AT 06:39PM (MST)[p]Unit 76 all day. Unit 40 can be good and I know for a fact it has bigger bulls It's a hit or miss thing when it comes to catching them where you can kill them. I have some good friends who practically live on it year round and they do well on public land. However most locals are very tight lipped when it comes to spots...

Coloradoboy

Thanks guys for all the information. Looks like I will definitely lean toward putting in for 76. All PM's returned.

Are you going to put in a spike camp or camp around a trailhead?

In 76 there are often a few horse trailers around the trailheads. First season 76 usually finds the elk up high. Wason Park is high and large so it might be a good place to start. You can trailer the horses up near the park.

Farmers Creek area gets a lot of local day hunters both from the trailhead and the ranches below. The area around the Rio Grande Res. can be good for horsemen.

My 18 year old son is also looking at burn all his points on 76-1st rifle this year. He has never killed a bull. We will most likely not have horses and have never been to the area all though we are residents (about 3 hours away). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want him to waste all the points he has been saving since he was 12. He is not looking for a monster just a respectable 6x.

Thanks

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom