Elk hunting and mosquitos

Aaronjhanson

How do you deal with the mosquitoes during the early parts of the archery hunt? was in Wyoming for opening weekend this year, trying to sit on a wallow or anywhere was almost impossible without being attacked by mosquitoes? Any suggestions?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-19 AT 01:39PM (MST)[p]Long johns under shirt and pants, 2 pair socks, jacket, gloves, headnet. They suck this time of year. Was 80 degrees at 9000 feet this weekend, and the black timber was alive with them!!

It almost doesn't matter what you do, they can drive you nuts. Even if you can keep from getting bit, they still send dive bombers to test things out, slamming into your face and hair.
I have no answer.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

You STICKFLIPPERS are gonna Have to Learn how to FLING Your Arrows with a Full Body Suit & a Head Net!

It's Supposed to be Challenging,Right?:D

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Pretty much what everyone has said. I just try to cover my skin with clothing. For my head, it's either a hat and a partial mask or a full head net.

This will not stop them from buzzing all over and landing on you. The sound of them buzzing near my ears drives me crazy. I know they're not biting me but it's psychological torture nonetheless.

Thoughts of spraying the area with a flamethrower cross my mind at times like this but forest fires are bad.

I haven't tried it yet but have a friend that swears by thermacell brand. I don't think it would work for walking but if your hunting out of a blind it might be worth a try. I bought one the other day but my hunt doesn't start for another week so don't know for sure yet. However they aren't to expensive so might be worth a try.

I used to take B-1 when I spent time in mosquito country. I guess it might have worked because I really only remember being bothered on the Grand Mesa in Co and by blackflies in Canada. The science on B-1 may have changed over the years but I'm still alive.:)

Bluehair
Splitting my time time between the winter and summer range......
May you live long enough to cash in those preference points. Amen

First post, yes, but something I know well. Sawyer has a permethrin product that you spray on your clothes and will last up to 6 washes. It will keep ticks and mosquitoes off of you. As for exposed skin there are some unscented sprays out there that you can use but I have had great coverage with just using the permethrin on my clothes/gloves/hats/so on.

Lyme's disease is a serious issue where I live (Maryland). To date I have not had a single tick on skin since I started using permethrin 6 years ago.

Thermacell works great for mosquitoes but I only use it when I am stationary in a stand.

98-100% Deet, problem solved. The peace is worth it and the extra smell is nothing worse then your sweaty body. Work the wind.

thanks for all the replies.
I have about 20 or more mosquito bites on my back and arms. I left the mountain a day early because of this. the elk were in the dark timber, and it was wet in there. Heck I wanted to sit on a wallow, it was clearly being used. The mosquitoes were just too much coupled with the 78 degree temps. going back in a week or two.

I bought a Thermacell a few months ago, and have used it several times this year sitting in my tree stand. It works Amazing! Good bye mosquitoes .. Those damn things drive me crazy . Bought it with several refills and I was impressed.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom