Elk hunting around Logan

X

xray37

Can anyone give me any info on hunting elk around the Logan area? Any info would be greatly appriciated.

I would try up near Tony's grove or maybe the Franklin Basin area. Do some early morning glassing on a good vantage point up there right now and see how many elk you can pick out. It's a pretty good area.

Tony and Franklin are good starting points, but that is where everybody goes. I haven't done it, but I know guys who go over to the west side of Cache Valley by Clarkston and see more elk than hunters (that can't be said of Logan Canyon).

Grizzly

Thanks for the info HJB and Grizzly. I am coming from Oklahoma so I won't be able to scout much. This hunt is really more of a way to spenf some time with my brother who lives in Brigham City. My brother doesn't hunt but he has camped and hiked in much of the area we want to hunt. Several years ago I hiked around the Toney Grove area with my brother during the summer. It was an awesome looking area. Are there any entry points there to get a guy away from the crowds? What about BLM land or small tracts that people over look?

If you are hard-core...hike up High Creek (from Cove) and over into Naomi Wilderness Area. This will get you onto the backside of Tony Grove where almost nobody goes. Great highcountry hunting.

Grizzly

Grizzly,
Do I go in by Toney grove lake or on the west side of the wilderness? I see high Creek lake on my map but not high creek. Is this an area I could walk in daily or is it a pack in area? I don't think my brother would be up for bivy camping. Again I am truly thankful for the info.

Hey grizzly, I think I found it. It looks like a good area. Is it best to go to the trail head and hunt from there? Thanks again
David

The trail head is east of Cove, which is just north of Logan. You will be hunting from the west side of Naomi Wilderness. It is quite a hike up to the lake, then you can keep going past that to some great areas. Beautiful highcountry stuff.

If you don't want to go that far you can take any of the canyons on the way up the trail and work your way up to the top. You won't find any other hunters up there. If you can find water, stick close by.

You could also try walking up Smithfield Canyon and taking some of the canyons that feed into that. I have been into quite a few elk that way.

One other good option is Twin Creek (just south of Tony Grove). You can drive to the top, which means the elevation gain is done in the truck, so the hunting is far easier. You will see a few more guys, but it isn't bad. Drive to the end of the road (usually sheep herders up there) then get out and walk the trail into the Wilderness Area. You will end up behind Tony Grove Lake without having to hike too hard. Great day hike.

If you can't tell, I'm trying to get you away from the crowds. It can get pretty busy in the real easy-to-access places.

Grizzly

Thanks grizzly. I am really looking forward to hunting Utah. Some of my brothers friends hunt around hardware ranch but the wilderness sounds a lot better to me.

If you are from OK, be ready for some rugged terrain and high elevations. If you hunt the wilderness area, you will be hunting in the 9,000 foot elevation range. If you are packing in the wilderness might be nice, but if you want a big base camp and will be doing day hunts I would look at somewhere else. Good luck.

Dax

Are there many spike hunters/people during the archery season? I just spent 5 days up there backpacking with my son. It's amazing country. Didn't see any elk, but did not really look very hard either. Is there access to the NF over by Clarkston? Didn't get over that way. If you are thinking of the High Creek area and have not seen it you may be suprised. It's big steep country. I consider myself to be very fit and it would be a challenge for anyone I think.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom