elk hunting

goinhuntn

Hey guys I have never hunted Idaho, but thinking about this year since i didn't draw elk in arizona. I wwould like to buy an otc tag, and have no idea where to even begin. My wife's uncle lives in McCall, I was wondering if that would be a good starting point. I am not looking for a trophy hunt just a hunt where I will a least see elk, and maybe get a shot. Thanks in advance for any info.

If you are sure you are going to do it you might as well throw your name in the hat for the draws. It will only cost you a few extra and you could draw a good tag. I have hunted around McCall for the last 30 years. I cant say that the hunting is that great as we have not gone there much in the last 6 years. The wolves really moved the elk around and changed our area that we used to always find elk. Good luck on your adventure.

DZ

What does your uncle in McCall have to say, does he hunt as well? Sorry I dont know that country up there but I can tell you a guy I worked with brought home a 6 point bull from up there. Not that that is of any help...

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-13 AT 09:02AM (MST)[p]Thanks for the input guys. My wife's uncle doesn't hunt so he doesn't have much info for me. if anyone else has any thoughts I would appreciate any info thanks.

My advice, don't be picky. Shoot the first legal one you see, because it might be the only one you see.

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

Choose another area. Somewhere less thick, with fewer predators should make it easier for a newcomer to learn an area and where the elk like to go. Unless you can scout pre-season a lot.

Study the success rates on IDFG. But take them with a grain of salt as some back country units %'s are skewed because of the amount of outfitters. It is their job to be successful...

If your relative can't help and if he doesn't live litereally in the middle of the elk, then I don't know how much weight you give that location.

There is a fair amount of elk near McCall, as there are a fair amount in other parts of the state. There is a lot of pressure there though, and the country is fairly thick as was mentioned.

Wherever you head, give yourself a chance to get to know a place over a few years and then it will click.

I landed here in 2004, and only saw one live elk my first year. Killed a decent bull the next year and have seen literally a hundred or more elk each year since. Not that I kill elk every year, because there is a big difference in seeing and killing them.

+1 on the draw and consider a cow tag, unless you put more emphasis on horns than meat, which I totally understand....

Hey guys,
Thanks for the input I am not dead set on Mccall I would be open to any area! I'm not a trophy hunter, just want to have a good hunt, see elk & maybe get a shot at a bull. I might be able to make a scouting trip this summer so definately looking for a starting point. I have 0 knowledge of hunting Idaho other than I love the country & would love to live there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom