Elk in unit 111 & 118

elkhunter7pt

Has anyone hunted either of these units and know what kind of access there is in these units? Thinking about a future attempt to hunt in these units. Any information would be appreciated.

118 is about 95% checkard board public/private. You may need to pay a fairly stiff trespass to hunt the better chunk of private. 111 has a lot of intermixed public/private as well but the chunks are a little bigger in size.

Go to mytopo.com, click on ''printed maps''. It'll have a list of the western states. If you click on Wyoming it'll show the various units. If you click on unit 118 Elk it'll show you a topo map of the unit. It looks to me like the northern 40% is all public and the southern 60% is checkerboard. You can zoom in on the map for more details - like access. Chip

Draw odds in 111 for NR went from 24% with max point in 08 to less than 5% in 09. When you only have a few tags, a shift in apps can really change draw odds. With 3% or so this year, 111 will probably jump up to 20+% next year for reg. max.

If you have a GPS and a decent map....and know how to use them you should be able to steer clear of the private land in 111. Good luck in 118 because every other section is private! If there isn't a public road crossing a public section of BLM the BLM land is landlocked and you can not legally cross section corners (I will likely catch heat for this one!). I have a feeling you may have a tough time finding many guys that have hunted either unit since there are so few nonres tags handed out?

elkhunter7pt
I will be able to share some information after hunting this fall . I have a 111 elk tag , and my neighbor has a 118 cow elk tag . I will be spending some time in booth units this summer and fall .

Ferris RD is the northern border on 111?? What month is your tag for?

Pat C.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-09 AT 08:51PM (MST)[p]Willy P my elk hunt starts October 10 . I will try and get it done in September with archery gear , and then if I have to plan on rifle hunting on October 10 . I can't remember what the dates are on my neighbors cow tag in 118 .

OK There are usually leftover Nov. 111 tags. In Sept. I would not expect them to be out in the dunes yet. Maybe Table Mtn. or Windy Ridge area?? It would be the first place I would look/listen for them if I had that tag. I know up in 22 the bulls were getting lovesick the second week of Sept. while I was in there scouting this past year. Personally if I went poking around the dunes I would take a sand stake, come a long or winch, and a hi lift with me. I have been stuck there once. It sucked! There are a few areas of water out there though.

Pat C.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom