Elk Ivory & evidence of sex

cheeseheadinOHIO

I have heard and seen jewelry made from elk ivory teeth. Having never got an elk, I have only hunted for a bull twice. I will have an either sex tag this fall and could possibly shoot a cow. I was wondering if cows have ivory too? Also, if we have to pack this out I do not want to take the head. How difficult are they to remove?
Secondly, with an either sex tag, do you still need evidence of sex? I also only assume that is for bulls?
THanks for info.

Cows have 'em too. You can get them out with a knife and pliers. Not too hard, just be care full not to break 'em. As far as evidence goes, as far as I know you've got to leave evidence of the sexual organs, testicles/vulva, regardless of whether you take the head out or not. My dad shot an elk, cut off the testicles and this old guy chewed him out and took some twine and sewed the sack back on. Dad said it took longer to sew the testicles back on than it took to clean the bull out.

I can't believe I typed vulva. Somebody's gonna light me up for that one I'm sure.

The ivories come out fairly easily with just a knife. Plunge the point in all the way around it. When it loosens, you can feel where to twist the blade, and the ivory will pop out. As far as evidence of sex, if the elk is whole, no question. I've never had to pack out a cow, so I don't know if you keep the ah, um you know. doityourself said it. mtmuley

Much easier to use a block or chunk of wood and rock/hammer and smack it backwards. Usally only takes one or two wacks and you wont bust the tip of your knife or ruin your ivory.
48461bbc1c983664.jpg

I have never heard if you need proof of sex if you have an either sex tag. I suspect that you do, but I will write the DOW and see what they say. I can think of no reason why you should except for an officer to put down what sex it was, but in that case, he could just take your word for it.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

ismith, I may have to try that. Been using the knife for about 30 years and haven't broken one, but your way sounds easy enough. mtmuley

>Much easier to use a block
>or chunk of wood and
>rock/hammer and smack it backwards.
> Usally only takes one
>or two wacks and you
>wont bust the tip of
>your knife or ruin your
>ivory.

+1, definitely the easier way IMO.

I cut the ivories out of a cow just yesterday and I had both of them out in less than one minute. It is very easy to take them out with a pocket knife. Just push the tip down the wide sides of the ivories and twist the blade on the second side. They will come right out.

I have heard of the block of wood method before but have never been tempted to use that method. My way of thinking is this. With the small number of elk I get, I do not want to take a chance at breaking an ivory with a block of wood,especially when it is soooo darn easy with a pocket knife. Also I do not want to carry a block of wood. (I would not have been able to find a suitable block of wood on the hill I was on. Also I would have have to dig through the snow to find a rock.)

As for the proof of sex with a cow:) I just leave the nipples attached to the back half.

2pointer

Get a small 3/4x3/4" hard wood about 5-6" long and taper one end and smooth out the edges. Make the cuts like described above and with a rock, put the smalled edge of wood against the tooth and rap it a time or two and that tooth will come out. Using a knife can break off a tooth, seen it happen a few times.
JUST BE CAREFUL.

Brian

take your knife, cut down each side of the ivory. then turn your knive around and smack the ivory with the butt of the knife. it will break loose then just take it out. shouldnt take more than a minute / tooth.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com

I have only used a knife, not hitting it with any thing. And it only takes a few seconds and never broke the tip. Just cut down on all sides then press it back with fingers and give it a twist and it will come right out. I would be scared of braking the tooth from hitting it. Not hard at all, good luck.

I've got ivory out with a block of wood & I've broke em that way too (once) so for me it's a knife. I heard a guy tied an condom to a quarter & warden asked him what's that? Evidence of sex.

Got a reply from the Colorado DOW. You DO have to maintain proof of sex even when you have an either sex tag.

Doesn't make much sense to me, but that is how it is written

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thanks for the info all and txhunter for contacting the DOW. Here's a dumber questions for you guys... how many is there two or four and if it's two, are they on the top or bottom?
If I have pack it out, I'll figure it out at the time about what I leave attached from her.
Thanks.

The two ivory teeth are in the top jaw, toward the front of the mouth. Good luck on your hunt. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom