Elk Meat & Crossing the Border

M

MtnHunter

My father and I will be hunting Elk in Alberta this Sept. If we are fortunate enough to tag an Elk or two will we have any problems bringing the meat back across the border? All of my research has led me to believe that it shouldn't be a problem. The only reason I ask is because I read a thread on another message board that said there was a ban all canadian meat. I was under the impression it only applied to farm raised cervids that where for resale to the public. We are driving 2000 miles so that we can bring the meat back. Are we safe or do we need to rethink our plan. Only 4 weeks to go. Thanks , Mike

Call the US customs at your port of entry and ask. Your outfitter might have a local butcher cut, wrap and freeze your elk, so that could help. CWD and mad-cow is what the worry is. If the meat is de-boned the chances of spreading the stuff is lower.

We plan on haviving the meat totally processed so that it can be packed in a large meat chest with dry ice. We have a long drive home so we don't want to take any chances with spoilage. I found a website that locates retailers who sell dry ice , so we have planned our return trip accordingly.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom