elk opinion needed 62 or 81?

oldmossback

Trying to decide where to apply the boys for 1st rifle this year. What is the opinion of gmu 81 vs gmu 62? I have heard both units are busy. We live south of Denver. Neither boy has killed a elk. Thanks in advance

I keep hearing that unit 62 is the most heavily hunted unit in the state for elk. Nuff said

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

yea, I hear that also, But also see some nice bulls come from there every year. It is hard to go off the DOW's success ratios since 62 has about 3 time the hunbters that 81 has.

Has anyone on here hinted 62-1st rifle lately? Thanks

>yea, I hear that also, But
>also see some nice bulls
>come from there every year.
>It is hard to go
>off the DOW's success ratios
>since 62 has about 3
>time the hunbters that 81
>has.
>
>Has anyone on here hinted 62-1st
>rifle lately? Thanks

62 is also much larger than 81 so the hunter density may not be that much more.

I hunted 62 last year during 3rd season for deer. I saw legal bulls every day. I never saw another hunter actually hunting. I saw plenty driving roads on quads but once in the wilderness area I had it all to myself.

I am familiar with 61 but not 62 at all. For 1st rifle where would we even start? I've got maps of the unit but I have heard 1st rifle is a pumpkin fest? where is a good place to camp? We have both a rv and a wall tent whichever the area allows?

I have done a lot of hunting over the last 25 years in 62 .Mostly archery and have done very well Only done the first rifle once helped a guy from north dakota put him on bulls everyday hit a 5x5 late one evening spent the rest of the hunt looking for it and had to pass up other bulls looking for the wounded one. I f you want to email me i can give you some places to camp and some places to look at to hunt.R270

People drive across Colorado to hunt 62 because it is productive and consistantly holds game.
Success in 81 depends heavily on timing and knowledge of the area.

Send Lost a pm and ask him. He lives in that unit and knows it very well and could assist you.

No comparison. CDOW over sold cow licenses in 80 81 for years to please/feed the valley locals. We southern Coloradan/SLV elk hunters know what they did!!!!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom