Elk or Deer poll

theox

Very Active Member
Little poll here. I'm curious to everyone's preference. Just answer elk or deer and what state u live in. If you want to explain why that is your fav that is fine but plz write elk or deer and state of res first words
What is you favorite animal to hunt? Bull elk or buck mule deer?
I like elk a lot but something about a big mature buck takes the cake. Maybe it's because there is more opportunity for deer here so I've just gained a passion for them. While there are a lot of elk it's just such a long wait to hunt them so maybe it lowers my passion for them. That's why I'm wondering state of residence to see if states with more elk opportunity prefer elk or deer. I'm just doing this out of boredom there is no other reason.

Deer, Utah for me.

Elk, Utah

(but hunt in other states, too)

Just love elk meat (like deer meat, too, but elk takes the cake for me) and LOVE having that conversation or 'dance' with rutting bulls during archery season.

Mule Deer out west when I draw a tag. Kansas. Love hunting Nevada, Wyoming, Western Kansas and Utah Muleys in easy to draw units. Have shot some nice muleys. Been Elk hunting twice and big muleys take the cake. But I've never hunted Elk during Rut so that might change my mind.

Elk = Utah !!! Love eating elk. Mule deer = jerky which isn't bad ether. The way I look at it Elk are for eating Mule deer for looking at. Got to love those big racks

Mule Deer Utah

Regarding mature bull elk in Utah, there are open elk units that you can hunt them every year, if you want to, so waiting to hunt elk isn't necessary, unless your only satisfied hunting limited entry bull elk, there is no reason to feel restricted regarding hunting mature bulls.

When I moved to Utah 41 years ago there weren't a lot of elk in South Central Utah. Mostly only on the Manti and the Fishlake and very few on the Boulder, Monroe, Beaver and Pahvant. (for me, the Nebo is not South Central :)) And when I was in my 30's and 40's I hunted everything I could buy a tag for, so I hunted bother mule deer and elk, even though they could be hunted on a lot of my local units.

I found elk to be much easier to hunt, once you learned their feed/bedding routes, and those routes varied little form year to year. f they weren't in XYZ Hollow, they would be over on Quakie Ridge. Killing one was not much of a challenge. About like killing a beef, especially if the rut was on, all you had to do was drive down a mountain road and hour before dawn and listen for bulls bugling and cows/caves chirping and walk over and shoot one.

And, to me elk are about as much fun to watch as a herd of Herefords, except for the rut, if your fortunate enough to actually find two bulls fighting, which is relatively rare, in as much as I believe most of their really good quarrels are done in the middle of the night. And.....as far as I'm concerned, in most cases, all bull elk look just about alike, a huge six point is hardly more interesting to look at than a regular six point. Cookie cutter critters, IMO. Course, until I'd killed a few of them I was excited to hunt them. Elk are murder on hay stacks and 50 elk on a guys private alfalfa and it looks like the entire field is filled with unwanted wildlife.

Mule deer are my passion. Love everything about them. To me they're like a box of chocolates, you never know they are going to look like. They are independent, they are spooky, sneaky, and crafty. 14 year old young women can hunt mule deer, without a vehicle, 80 year old men can still back pack one out of the dead fall, without a horse or an ATV. They can be more prolific than elk, and you we can feed 4 to 5 deer for the same amount of feed it take to keep one elk alive. On the same acreage we can have 4 times as many deer, and four times as many hunting opportunities, as we can with elk.

Deer seem to be more acceptable to land owners than elk, but that may be only because we have very few deer, compared what ranchers used to see, when we had more.

Watch mule deer fight/rut is spectacular, as is elk but I've actually witnessed all lot more deer battles than elk battles.

Deer are more susceptible to predation and may be more venerable to disease. (Elk may be as susceptible to disease but we haven't measure it yet, as far as I know.)

I prefer deer meat flavor over elk, way more. And liver is my favorite deer meat and it is much better than nasty elk liver.

Well......you said this was just for fun.

DC

Elk. California. Probably never going to get one in my home state however.

This is a campfire question I've always asked folks too. Mine was if you could put one animal in Boone and Crockett what would it be? I'm headed to southern CO this year and can't wait.

Bucks, Bulls and Lopes...also Geese, Ducks and Hogs all in California and I drew all here in the Great Golden State..some more than once along with the kids lol! I do love big muleys in southern utah along with northern NV and south WY...
Bone

So far we are pretty close.
14 deer and 12 elk

Very interesting, haven't messed with the different states I think I will write it down tomorrow and break down by state.

Elk Oregon. Idaho (lifetime lic), Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, and Utah have been places I've chased elk. I have slowed down on Deer. Mostly because there are a lot less of them and I have shot my fair share. I love to watch both. I like to eat elk a lot more.

DZ

Mule Deer no question my son and I both love to hunt Mule Deer
Maybe Elk tastes better and for me it doesn't but I have hunted Mule deer since I was a little kid

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-16 AT 11:03AM (MST)[p]Mule deer- any state

Coues deer 2nd

Elk 3rd - that being said I'm over the top pumped to have a big bull permit in my pocket this year for NM.

In the end I just like to hunt. Whether it's deer, lope, elk, Barbary, javalina, bear, mountain goats, moose, pheasants, grouse, I love it all and every adventure for the memories. Mule Deer are top for now because it's what I was raised dreaming about and actually chasing. In recent years I have absolutly fallen in love with packing in and glassing for coues deer in the desert country. The more chances I get to chase mature elk the more I search out opportunities to hunt elk and the more that has become a passion. In the end I believe it might not just be the animals but the places they take me!

Mule Deer, Utah

They might not believe me, but I agree with the posts by 2Lumpy and Muley73. I just like to hunt and see new places and old places. I've killed plenty mature bucks and mature bulls-- mature mule deer take the cake. Although calf elk or a doe antelope taste the best.

Elk. NM. I've given up on deer here....the herd has been in bad shape for years. Second would be desert bighorn. At least this year lol!

Elk Washington

I've seen more 6 point bulls than I have seen 30" mule deer bucks. I like to hunt anywhere I can get a tag.

Elk. NM. I have been fortunate enough to draw elk the last 4 years. Two tags in a quality unit and the other two not as quality but still got to hunt. Deer is hard here. And in any of these units I am hunting at least only an hour away from home. Still wanting to bag a big bull though.

Buck Deer, Utah

I like hunting them because they are so rare... :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Elk for me in NM.

Like others have said,in general, the deer population is in fairly bad shape here. For me, nothing quite like the adrenaline rush from a bull screaming at 15 yards while you're trying to stay perfectly still, waiting for a shot. The prep, the chase, the process ...the end result for elk hunts has always been my motivation.

Utah. That is a hard one. I guess I just love hunting.

To me it is which ever one I have a tag for while in the outdoors. They both get me excited and the blood flowing.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-16 AT 08:02AM (MST)[p]Elk ,NM
But mule deer are good eats too,just harder to find here.Looking for the elusive 30" still....

Mule deer in Wyoming. Very close though. I like hunting both in high country. Will never get enough. Good luck to all in the coming seasons.

I'm from Missouri so no elk here but I do hunt the west every year.
I drew a Wasatch late rifle elk tag this year so elk is obviously #1. I've been wanting to kill a mature bull for many years. Having said that, I've have much better luck on seeing mule deer bucks while hunting than seeing bull elk. Had a great deer hunt last year in Montana and have killed them in CO and UT as well. Over all, I'd have to pick deer over elk due to the ease with which to successfully hunt them on an OTC or left over tag, especially in an area I've never been to before.

NRA Life Member

www.swanspointoutfitters.com

The critters have to win every time. I only have to win once.

Without a doubt mule deer. This year a few states including the faed Paunsy. Elk are awesome to hunt, but the antlers on a non typical trophy mule deer are more interesting than any trophy elk. Albeit, I do like wapiti meat better.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom