Elk or Deer?

sniper14

Just curious. I have just got into hunting and I love reading all the posts on this site. A lot of bright people and a few not so. Just out of curiosity would you rather hunt elk or deer and why. Just wondering what species to focus on being a new hunter and why.

If you're just starting I would suggest Mule Deer. Just for the simple fact that you'll have more opportunity to hunt.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

Gotta go with muleys. Something magical about a big ole buck! However hunted archery elk this year in Nevada and it was very fun.

love hunting muledeer and target them but I always purchase a land carp tag just in case!

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

The harder you work the luckier you get!!

I love mule deer hunting myself. I do hunt elk on general units, and I do "like" that too because of the challenge. Finding a big mule deer buck is an even greater challenge than a general bull though. After you have hunted both, you will involunterilly pick the one that you like more. With that said, try a mule deer hunt first. Usually, the case is that you will see more deer than elk when you hunt (according to alot of people on here, Utah might not be this way), which usually makes the hunt more enjoyable. Plus you get more chances at practicing your stalking skills when you see more animals.

You will probably have more oppurtunities and better success with mule deer but it is more exciting chasing bulls.
Why can't you hunt both?? and why stop there, lots of big game to target, chase them all... as long as you don't apply for the same units I do ;-)
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

muleys for me. Not only because after you shoot something, you have to haul it off the mountain...but also because of the country you hunt them in, generally a little later in the fall, and I just think they're majestic animals.

WH

Our group is addicted to Archery Elk because it is so much of a rush up close to such a majestic animal. For someone just getting started into hunting I also would vote "Mule Deer Rifle" as they also are a major challange. I assume you might be hunting alone from your post? With Mule Deer one can manage the "after the shot" retreiving game much better. As was posted earlier "getting the game off the mountain" before it spoils is always a major concern unless your only hunting late season hunts in cooler/cold weather. Care of meat should always be a primary concern and is a challange for a single hunter. Been there done that..With elk your in for a huge task if hunting alone. You have no idea how big elk are until you have a nice size bull on the ground.

Hunt smart if hunting alone and consider the terrain before you pull the trigger. You will need to get your game back to the truck. Consider hunting up hill from your truck or camp. This would make packing out meat a much easier task for either deer or elk.

Good Hunt'n

)))).....>

I'd say go for both, but given the world we are living in, I wouldn't consider giving up my sniper training!

For a beginner I would say rabbits. No just playing. I would say rifle deer, like everyone else has said more opportunity. After you get a few muleys under your belt, try hunting the big stinky. I tell you what, I hunted my first bull this year with my bow and was successful. What a rush!!! nothing compares.

Both, but if I had to choose it would be elk.

It's easier to get a good elk tag these days and don't forget you have to eat them after you shoot them. give me elk anyday over deer.

You should start building points for as many species in as many states as you can afford. At some point you may want to hunt antelope, sheep and other species and if you wait to start applying, you may never draw the tag.

I love hunting both. Glad I don't have to pick just one, however I get way more of a rush chasing a big buck than I do from chasing elk. Just something about how rare a huge muley buck is. I also try and chase whitetail every chance I get. Hunting is the best sport on earth.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

2 different types of hunts.

Go on the first one you have an opportunity to do. You will have to decide which you like best.

I've never hunted elk, but will one of these years so I can't speak about them. I really love hunting Mulies, and had lots of fun chasing Blacktails as well. You will eventually develop a taste for one animal or another, but it will take a while. In the mean time, don't get caught up in all the hype about the kill, and the taking of the biggest badest buck in the hills.

Hunting deer will give you a unique perspective on nature and all that goes with it. You will witness things that most folks never will. Should you truely become a hunter, and embrace all that goes with it, you will come to find out that the greatest enjoyment will come from the chase, and not the kill. Best of luck to you! I just hope these great creatures will be around to hunt for a while longer...

Elk is by far my favorite. To me, nothing beats the call of a bugling bull.

But, I like to hunt deer as well, just my #1 preference is elk. Plus, elk meat is good eating, deer is not as good.

YD U HUNT ELK BECAUSE THEIR BIGGER AND LESS CHANCE OF MISSING OUT OF YOUR TRUCK. LOL COWBOY57

Deer for a lot of reasons.

Elk are dumb
Elk are land carp
Hunting elk is like looking for a big neon blinking sign with a megaphone attached to it blowing all day in the mountains.

Very few Bull elk have Character in their antlers. Most 6 points look alike.

Seen 1 six point seen them all.

Elk are stinky
Elk are noisy.

I guess that about does it.

Tony Abbott
www.myfreehunts.com
The next buck to have a fawn will be the
1st.

Thats a hard one love them both, make sure u have another person with u when hunting elk,

ELK! Just because Tony likes muleys!:D

I love the sound of bugling bulls and hunting them with a bow. Contrary to you "muley experts" they're not that easy. Especially with a bow. It's amazing how smart those loud, stinky, big ol dumb bulls are.:D

It's always an adventure!!!

I HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT MULEDEER WERE ON THE DUMB SIDE......A TON OF THEM LOOK BACK FOR THEIR LAST & FINAL PEEK BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO GO OVER THE RIDGE. ELK ARE MORE MAJESTIC, BEAUTIFUL, TASTE REALLY GOOD, THE ELK BUGLE GIVES THEM A ADDITIONAL ATTRACTION I THINK. THIS IS COMING FROM A GUY THAT HAS A COUPLE OF WALL HANGER DEER......BUT ELK HUNTING IS JUST MORE EXCITING TO ME. ITS ALSO FUNNY TO HEAR A GUY SAY DEER ARE MORE FUN TO HUNT.....WHEN HE DOES NOT EVEN HUNT ELK. IMO..........YD.

Its not a matter of which one I like more, but a matter of which one I get to hunt more. Which is mule deer. Also, I think its harder to get a giant mule deer buck than it is a giant bull elk so you'd better start gettin' after it now. fatrooster.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-19-10 AT 12:52PM (MST)[p]if I were a new hunter, I would focus on elk,both are great, but overall, deer hunting has really declined over the last few decades, on the other hand, elk hunting is probably just in its post peak years, you can enjoy better elk hunting than prior generations could, but most modern deer hunting is nothing like in the past. Elk are the adaptable, prolific big game animals for these modern times.

Deer hunting is a lot more rewarding, but elk hunting has more action. After they hit the dirt deer hunting is 100 times better.

"You'll never get a big one if you shoot a little one"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom