Elk Petition circulating in Wyoming

LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-10 AT 03:10PM (MST)[p]Reading what you have posted it seems that this would be for those who hunt with Archery and/or Muzzleloaders...does not include the RIFLE hunters.

Also I might be wrong but seems like I read some years ago that these Petitions etc. that go around on the Internet ARE NOT VALID as petitions need to be signed in INK to make them legal.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Let us know when you're going to present that to the G&F. I think someone is wasting their time on the preference points issue. The G&F discussed in detail at one of their spring meetings awhile back that only the WY legislature can change to a pref points system and they have no lobbying powers to initiate such a change. They advised 60 some percent of residents favor a pref point system and that if we wanted it, it had to start with our elected reps. As for expanded archery and muzzy seasons, I'd be the first to write letters opposing such changes since it would surely reduce available tags for the general rifle seasons. What the petition should address is a waiting period if you draw a limited quota tag. I've heard that can be changed by the G&F without legislative intervention.

I had the link emailed to me. Not sure who is behind it. Just thought some on here might be interested. I think it is intended as more of an opinion poll and not necessarily a legally binding petition. Don't shoot the messenger...

I do know a new state senator that is as avid a hunter as there is in Wyoming. Be interesting to see if he introduces legislation for a PP system for residents.

IMO, this is a horrible idea. Wyoming's elk hunting system for residents is the best of any state. You can hunt for 6 point class bulls every year. Whether you draw a limited entry tag or not. You can hunt long seasons with a bow, rifle or both if you choose. You may not get to hunt your favorite area, the one closest to your home or the best trophy unit every year but you aren't going to get that chance with pref. points either. I look at the complaining that goes on about pref points and bonus points in other states and I am glad WY has not gone this way with at least its deer and elk. WY has alot of advantages that other states don't. Very few residents, lots of game, plenty of public land and best of all, a lot of hard to access wilderness area. Look at other states and be glad we have what we do. Question, how many of you that have children that are not yet old enough to gather points are glad that WY has pref. points for sheep and moose? All systems have pros and cons but IMO random draw is the best overall.

I have a 9 year old and am extremely glad they have pp for moose and sheep. It may take 40 years for her to draw, but she will draw at some point which is more than anyone can say with the the old random system they had for sheep and moose...

Agreed MuleCreek, couldn't have said it better myself. It ain't broke, don't fix it. Despite all of the keening and moaning about draws, the bottom line is that the random draw is the most fair way of handing out limited tags, period.

Why in the heck we're worried about opportunity for ELK in Wyoming is beyond me, with over 3/4's of the elk herds in the state significantly OVER the population objectives. Several desirable limited quota areas in south-central Wyo have increased any elk tags by over 10% in the last couple years.

BTW, the numbers that I was told by WGFD employees is that somewhere around half of residents want a preference/bonus system, and again, somewhere around half don't want any preference points, sounds like it's a little more up in the air than may be indicated. Guess we can throw out numbers either way all day long, but it's pretty obvious that either way, there's going to be about half the resident sportsmen pretty PO'd.

As one of the folks that helped put Larry into the Senate, I sure as heck hope he's got more important things to do there than worry about pref points vs. random draw for recreational opportunities.

Triple_BB, we all have our own opinions and I can see you have yours thought out. As a father of a 4 year old and 3 year old, I do not ever see my kids drawing a sheep or moose tag in wyoming under the current system. While they are my responsibility I will put them in for Bonus point states and encourage them to plan ahead for hunts in Alaska. When they are on there own they can do what ever they want. Thoughts are pretty dependant on what age people are. I drew my moose tag in 2008 and will keep trying for a sheep. I can still see the light at the end of the tunnel for me.
Obviously, the wait for elk tags would not be as severe as sheep and moose but look no further than Colorado and Utah to see how long it would take for the upper end trophy units. In all honesty it doesn't affect me either way. I love the general units, the long seasons and the great opportunity they provide for all residents. Wyoming hunting is the best around.

+1

I am now a Wyoming resident and would hate to see a PP system. I know Wyoming has fewer residents and more game than the surrounding states but let's not ruin a great thing. Take a look at the sheep, and moose hunts. New applicants are so far behind the curve they will never catch up. A PP system rewards those that have put in the longest but ALSO PUNISHES those that are just starting (KIDS). Instead of a PP system another idea might be to have Wyoming force people to choose only one LE species a year. That would quickly drive up the draw odds. A PP system, IMO is a bad idea.

I don't think much of the ideas, and Im sure it won't go anywhere. That being said, If WGF would manage deer like they do antelope we would have some good hunting. Its a shame deer are treated like second class game animals in Wyoming. Deer are just to vulnerable these days, and to put so much pressure on them is a bad deal.

Utah400Elk-You touched on something that I think is a good idea.I like the idea of having three different draws.Elk first-if you draw,you are out of the other 2.Deer 2nd-if you draw,you are out of the antelope draw.Antelope would be third.Then,to top that off,throw in a waiting period like TripleBB suggested.Odds would raise significantly for deer and especially goats.Of course,whining and crying would also be raised significantly.If a guy couldn't draw elk or deer,you could still hunt general season.JMO.

I think they should leave Wyoming the way it is. If they are going to make changes, I think limiting residents to one of the three species would greatly increase draw odds. But again, I think it's the best system and should be left alone. I hunted in general deer areas this year and saw four deer over 180. I am very happy the way Wyoming is now??.

Sounds like you found a nice honey-hole.Since you are a relative newcomer to the state,though,you don't know what we once had here.Wyoming is definitely better than most other states!That being said,it's not as good as it once was.Piper knows what he is talking about when he refers to the slide in quality in regions G and H.I have videoed deer on the winter range for the past 15+ yrs,and the slide is very evident.Quality and quantity.I attended the G&F public meetings last summer on deer management in western wyoming.We were broke up into groups to discuss what we would do to change and improve hunting in W.Wyoming.The overwhelming suggestion from every group was to change opening day to be the same in every unit.A unified opener.That would disperse hunters more and create better quality hunting.My personal feelings are it would also improve quality within a couple of years.I know this is off the subject of this thread,and here is why it is pertinent:If opening day was changed to Oct.1 in all of W.Wyo(general areas only),those who love the high country Sept.15 seasons would not be happy(and rightfully so!).Here is my suggestion:Have a limited quota season for all Sept.15 openers.Have this open from Sept.10-Sept.25.General would re-open on Oct.1.The guys that love the Sept high country hunts would still be able to hunt if they drew a tag,preserving the hunt.But it would also serve a couple of other purposes:1.Some of those high country bucks would survive the season to grow another year;maybe into the monster bucks that we used to have lots more of.2.It would make draw odds better for other LQ units.I really think G&F is looking hard at unifying the opener,and I don't think they will change everything to a Sept.15 opener.It will probably be an Oct.1 opener(if they do this).Having some LQ tags to preserve that Sept high country hunt would keep that hunt around.Once those bucks start getting hit in Sept,they move into the timber,making them much harder to hunt.This should allow some of them to survive the season,hopefully improving quality within a couple of years.JMO,and it may not be a popular one,but then I'm not too concerned about being the most popular guy on MM.I am,however,always concerned about how to get the quality back that we once had here.

As a non-resident I voted yes on the archery and muzzy proposals, no on resident PPs. PPs are their business, not mine.

I agree that more archery tags, and a muzzy season would allow rifle hunters to draw more often as many would opt for something other than rifle. And more total tags could be sold with the same harvest as success rates with primitive equipment are lower.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom