Elk Rut Signs

S

shedman

Hey My fellow New Mexicans

Has anyone noticed any signs of the rut starting or heard any bugles how good do you think it will be for opening weekend in september labor day holiday?

I was out today in N NM. Saw some bulls already gathering cows. Other bulls still in bachelor groups. Bulls I saw were all hard horned. Gotta love it!!!!!!

Just spent the weekend up in northern NM scouting for my muzzleloader hunt....absolutely zero signs of rut....we found some smaller bulls that would not talk to us at all, and still grouped up. I remember thinking how the poor bow hunters up there are going to be struggling...BUT, I've heard different stories for other parts of the state.

The Beast is Dead, Long Live the Beast.

-The Nuge

I heard a few bulls bugling Saturday in Unit 36. Bulls were mingling in with the cows. Spikes were still in velvet but the branched bulls were hard horned.

Was out scouting with my son this morning. Spotted 5 different groups of cows.

2 groups had smaller bulls acting like top dog. One 5x5 was bugling every few minutes.

Saw a couple of mature herd bulls by themselves and not acting rutty yet.

Valle Caldera action has already started but definitely not in full swing. Saw a couple hundred elk from the highway on 8/27 with some nice bulls. Heard about 5 bugles while glassing.

Sneekey

Out yesterday morning and saw 39 cows grazing through the aspens, no sign of bulls until I heard him bugle! Stayed looking for him and he bugled again then came out trotting into the cows and spread them about. He bugled again and bunched them up & started to scent check them. No other bulls around, really heavy nice looking 6x6. Dark dark antlers compared to others we've been seeing. Mornings have been low to mid 40s the last 4-5 days with consistent rains.

Toro

Great to hear Toro! Any word on what they are doing in Valle Vidal? I won't be out scouting VV until the weekend of the 18th. Two weeks later and we will be in there for my son's smokepole hunt! Can't wait!

Sneekey

Was out this weekend and saw small rag horns with cows acting like big dogs!! All were hard horned and fairly dark so they must have shed velvet over the last couple of weeks. Heard one bull bugling every 5-10 minutes for an hour. I think I bumped them off a tank I was walking into to check for sign. I've got a second archery tag. Looking forward to it, but first I'm focused on my Arizona antelope hunt that starts on Friday.

It is becoming more difficult to concentrate at work!!!

MBBGH

We were in 16C on Sunday, we saw several small bulls with cows, but no big bulls. We didn't hear any bugles, but it was raining and the elk weren't moving much. I bet it will start to turn on in the next few days.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom