Elk Rut?

High5

Elk Rut?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-09 AT 02:40PM (MST)[p]Ok, so what dates on average in Colorado do you think the PEAK of the Elk rut is?
I ask because I have a lot of NON res PP(16) that I hope to use soon....
The archery hunt is from, Aug 29 ? Sept 27
The muzzloader, Sept 12-20
And the early rifle dates are, Oct 1 - 11
Of course I want to hunt a top unit, with 330+ bulls but what is also important is the excitement of the peak of the rut.
I know that it varies from year to year and probably from unit to unit but what dates would you choose to hunt rut crazy bulls?

RE: Elk Rut?

Year to year = yes (slightly)
Unit to unit = yes (slightly more)
main factor in Colorado is elevation and also location. Less pressured elk = more vocal elk, however, the general rut is occuring at just about the same time in each unit.

I've hit peak rut archery hunting only 1 time in the past 6 years, 2004--the last week was unreal in a OTC unit. We always hunt the last week of the season for the "peak" rut--sometimes it's peak, other times we miss it by about 1 week.

Muzzle = just starting
end of archery = really going to peak
1st rifle, really going to starting to slow down

just my .02 and experience in units 28, 29, 20, 19, and 14.

If by the peak of the rut, you mean most bugling activity, then the last week of archery is the best. Oct 1st would probably be close to the real bugling peak, which agrees with the previous poster. So the closer you get to that, the better.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Al Gore says that due to global warming that this years elk rut will be Oct 5 and from now on will be a week later than the year before. Sorry I talked to people that were on there global warming kick.
In western CO it seems like during muzzle season we start getting some good activity and by the end of muzzy to the end of sept is when it happens.
JC

I hunted 61 archery last year from Sept 13-28th. Bugling EVERY hunt but they came a lot better 9/22-9/28. Realize the calendar shifts every year and the 28th was pretty late for archery to end. haven't looked this year.

In 2006 there was no bugling the frst three days of muzzy season ,then bugling started the forth day and fifth day and then nothing for the rest of the season. This was on a drop camp hunt in the Flat Tops.What silenced them I do not know.

Hi 5
I think i might have stepped on your toes, once on this forum.I'm sorry.I was probably just disgusted with the price of lo tags then.I would say you have a lot of money invested in those 16pp.If you are going diy i would hunt the entire archery season and get the most bang for your buck.If you have limited time i would go 1st season.The rifle creates alot more oppurtunity.burning 16pts i would want to hunt as many days possible.Just my spin on it.Oct.1st with the rifle sounds like a great hunt too.Good luck.Sounds like your in for a great hunt nomatter what you decide.im sure the elk will be screaming.

No worries MM...
I'm still undecided....looks like I'm a point away from 201 or 2 archery but I should be able to draw a 10 or 61 archery.
With the rifle I'm way behind the point curve in 201 & 2 but could probably draw the 10 rifle, I'm not interested in 61 rifle because the dates are second season.
I will definatly be DYI but am not sure my archery experience is enough (just getting back into it)for the amount of time I have invested into this tag.
I want to hunt sooner than later.....decisions decisions...
It's a good problem to have though....

high5
i have a similiar situation.wasnt sure if i should hunt sept. this year or wait till next year for the new 5 yr season structure.maybe colorado will start the 1st season a week earlier in 2010 to 2014? anybody have any thoughts what the cdow will do next yr.

I would doubt they will start the first rifle season earlier than its been in most units. They put a lot of stock in giving the elk a rest between the archery season and the 1st rifle. The fact that that break coincides with the peak of the rut is not an accident.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom