elk rut

F

Freedomrocks

Hey M.M. fans i am hitting the road for my 1st muzzy elk hunt on the 8th of sept. How is the rut going, Thanks in advance, I am getting pumped.

I've been out archery hunting on the western slope the last two weekends and haven't heard a single elk, cow or bull. Its early yet.

Tonight was the first night that they were really screaming for me. Had a bull hang up at 80 yds. Dead with the muzz. You should hit the rut perfect. It is going to cool down soon. Good luck!

Thanks guys keep em coming, My neck is starting to swell up just reading the replys..Freedom

They were bugling pretty heavy this weekend but still in huge herds with many bulls in the herd all screaming but staying away from each other. Another week should be awesome.

saw the same in 61 big herds a few bugles but nothing to get excited about,did see a real nice 6x6 probally 310ish

Another pretty good evening hunt. Had 4 different bulls bulgling. They aren't quite ready to commit, but things are starting to get going in my area. I still think you are going to hit it perfect. They are talking for me much more then last year at this time. Good luck!

Went out Sat am and didn't hear a peep but also didn't see much sign where I was. Hit the opening 4 days and also didn't hear much other than one faint weak bugle although 70-75 degrees didn't help. Had a buddy email me from around Steamboat and had some responses right away on the 2nd morning. Haven't heard the latest from him but he should be back tomorrow. I'm thinking once it cools down a bit it might help get things in gear!

Colorado Elk Man, what is the temperature at dawn up on the mountain? In units 62 and 61, would it be 40 at daylight (7:00 a.m.)? Probably not frost yet? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not even that cold on the platuea yet. Its probably gotten in low 40's a few times im guessing. From what Ive heard not much going on up there yet in 61 or 62.

I slept under the stars on 62 Friday night and it was not cold at all. If it was below mid 50s I would have been shocked. It is still warm. The clouds seems to be constantly rolling in and it rains here and there which helps cool it down some but its still warm.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-12 AT 09:50PM (MST)[p]It was in the low 40's most mornings (camped at 9200 ft). We did have some frost one morning after it rained the evening before opening day but it definately didn't get near freezing. A few weeks ago I was in Summit Co. and it was right at 40 in the morning so I thought it'd be colder when we were hunting but it didn't happen.

I wish they would shut up a little bit........made it hard to get any sleep in the tent last weekend.

Heard between 50-75 bugles during a 4 day hunt this weekend. They were screaming pretty good from 7:30-9 am and about an hour before dark where I was at. They were very non committal when it came to calls, called in a spike and a few cows, also had a nice 5 hang up at about 100 yards. The muzzy guys are going to hit it perfect IMO.

Famous - What part of the State were you hunting? I plan to go up this weekend thru Wed so I'm hoping to hear some action as I've not heard much yet.

Just got back at midnite last nite after having 2 bugling bulls on 2 sides of me right at last light. Only saw 1 of them and the better bugler of the 2 didn't come into view. Didn't hear any bugles till last nite so they seem to be just starting where I hunted in the central mountains!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom