ELK shedding

bighamr

Has anyone ever heard of an elk shedding this early? I have horn hunted for 8 years and not seen it, till today. The bull had 2 inches of new growth but didnt look too be in to good of shape. I was wondering if when they get way old or have a certain sickness, if it could make it happen. Any body know anything about this?

If you are from utah then you are in the same part of the world that I am in. It is definitely not normal, just wondering if it could be from a disease or sickness the animal may get?

I think it's just a weird year, deer have been shedding for a month already.

Must be that global warming thing!! ;-)LMAO!!

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

ha global warming is right. that has to be the reason that the horns are droping early. i like it just means more time for the new ones to grow.

The deer up here in Montana always start shedding around mid december. Elk start last week of March.
ismith
45f82e4d30de4f30.jpg

Would certainly be way early normaly, but if the bull is hurt or sick that seems to hurry up the shedding sometimes. I have seen one bull that sheds each year the first week of February, but that too is rare. Most start in late March.

Time in the hills is always worth more than money

yeah that sounds pretty odd to me. the earliest me and my brother have seen elk shed the 1st week of march and he was a big boy.

i know two years ago we found and elk set one week after valentines day.

I seen A one antlered bull one week ago.. I have seen them earlier too.. I don't find many elk antlers, cus of the ground I own, but I still go spotting tons during the winter and spring.. I see many bulls starting to shed this time of year.. well I shouldn't say many, but I do see a few!! most elk will loose in March..

Last year during the week between Christman and New Years, there was a bull hit by a car in the valley here, that had about 12-14 inches of new growth on each side. I was guessing that bull may have gotten loose from a local elk ranch but never heard anything to verify this. I also heard a rumor that this particular bull lived down in the willows next to a local reservoir all year. Either way, it was really strange to see this bull in velvet in December. We stopped and looked at the bull and it really didn't show any definate sign of sickness or injury, but then it had been dead for a day or two..
Anyone else ever seen this?
My son has picked up fresh sheds the last week in February, but not every year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom