Elk Unit 24 Questions

WITUfan

My Dad and I are planning our very first elk hunt. We are in the max points pool, so we have a reasonable chance of drawing unit 24 in the next few years. My main objective is to get him a bull, any bull, so I think 24 would be a good unit. Of course, I would like to get one as well, if we could pull that off. I have read a lot of previous posts about 24, but I still have a couple of questions.

1) We are considering putting in for a cow permit as a second choice. We both are mostly meat hunters anyway and we also figure it would give us an opportunity to learn the area if we draw the cow prior to getting a bull permit. When I look at the harvest data on the G & F website, cow harvest success is consistently well below bull success. Does anyone have any insight as to why this is the case?

2) While my Dad will no doubt shoot the first bull he sees, and be completely pleased, I would be willing to be more patient. It is clear to me this unit is not one where I should be looking for a huge bull, but in a week of hard hunting, how many bulls can I expect to see? I guess I am wondering what a reasonable expectation would be in terms of a bull in the unit. Am I likely to see multiple mature (not meaning high scoring) 5x5 or 6x6 bulls?

I really want to get this hunt right for my Dad. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I have not hunted this unit but in my expirience alot of times guys with cow only tags might not hunt as hard for a "cow" as someone would with a bull tag.

Check the archives on here. I beleive there are some previous posts with good info there. From what I recall, it sounds like you could accomplish your objectives there. MERRY CHRISTMAS. Chip

if you don't see elk here you have your eyes closed! you will see alot of 5 points and a few 6's. the other posters mentioned that people don't hunt hard for cows and they are spot on. if you get out of your truck at all you will have oppurtunities!
also keep in mind this is Absolutely NOT a trophy unit, there can certianly be a few but don't count on it.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom