Elk Unit 35, 38 or 39

califhuntn

Which unit out of these three would you apply for if you were interested in archery hunting. I know that 35 is the only one that has a designated archery only tag. 38 & 39 should allow archers before the rifle season begins.

JR

I know a guy who hunted 39 during rifle season in 08 and he said it was a zoo. Hunters everywhere. Too many roads. Archery may be different, but I'm not sure. I have seen a lot of elk there during summer on the open ridges from the main highway north to Sheep mountain. Most of the larger bulls that have been killed the last few years have been on the other side of the Bighorns near Buffalo.
cqh1

All three areas you named have a special archery season and all three areas a good elk hunting for either weapon you choose.

Elk 38 has a type 9 Archery only from Sept. 1-Sept. 30.
Elk 35 has an Archery General from Sept. 15-Sept. 30.
250 tags allotted for 38 last year, 70 for 39.
They're all pretty easy to get around in and try find the Elk, but 38 has lots more room to roam around.

My Bad--
Elk 35 has Type 9 Archery Only also, from Sept. 1-Sept. 30, along with Gen. Arch. Sept. 15-Sept. 30.
50 Elk 35 type 9 licenses allotted last year.
Gotta have a Gen. Elk license for a Gen. archery time and Area.

I to would like to know if anyone has any first hand info that they would like to share about units 38 & 39 for Wyoming Elk. Both units have the type 9 archery hunts, the only problem with the type 9 hunts in Wyo is that the rifle tag holders can also purchace a archery tag and hunt later in Sept.

Unit 39 has a quota of 88 for type 1 & 71 tags for type 9.
Unit 38 has a quota of 378 for type 1 & 248 for type 9, unit 38 is a much larger area than 39.

Hey B4B are you sure about that? I thought in a unit with a type 9 tag the rifle hunters can not hunt the Archery season correct me if i"m wrong.

Umm...not. Rifle for these Elk Areas doesn't, and has never been, until Oct. 15. Exception is Elk 37, which has a type 6 cow/calf which is good Oct. 1.

according to Nate Simmons in the last issue of EBJ a limited quota rifle tag holder can purchase a archery permit and go bow hunting after Sept 15th.

Huntinfool magazine talks about it as well.

I am calling the Wyo game&fish tommorow to get some details on the matter.

I'd call and get clarification on that before you put in.In the Huntinfool it say's "if you draw a general or limited Quota rifle hunting license, you may also archery hunt prior to the rifle season in MOST units by purchasing a $30 archery license.I think MOST being the key word.I drew a 39 type 1 tag 5 years ago and the way i understood it i could only rifle hunt.Like i said i could be wrong but i don"t think so.Good luck to you for what its worth i think it would be a good Archery hunt.

According to last year's regs, you could not hunt archery with a general elk license in units 38 and 39. You had to have a type 9 license.

Unit 35 had a type 9 license available which began on Sept 1, but those with a general license could hunt Sept. 15-30 with the purchase of the archery license.

That's right ColoradoOak, I talked to peggy @ the F&G office today, she confrimed that you can not hunt during the archery season(sept 1 thru 30)in 38,39 without a type 9 tag.

Can't hold more than ONE license that allows a hunter a chance at a BULL during any given hunting year. A second license, no antlers. Any further, get your license, take your chances, the Bighorns are sweet. Get your App. in and finger it out for thine self, you will not be disappointed should you be drawn.

Signed, Wyo

Pahscript--If one of you do draw, then I shall do what I can for you and your hunt short of running afoul of the G&F and their very CLEAR laws concerning guiding and assisting w/out a license for compensation of ANY sort, compensation being what I'm all about for any damn service, 'cept the Wife, I guess.

Rump

Thanks for all the replies. I understood that one can buy a type 9 license in a rifle unit and archery hunt before the rifle season but I thought that certain units were archery only with no rifle hunting. Please correct me if I am wrong.

JR

I think I just answered my question. b4b was correct. If you get a type 9 license you may be hunting with limited draw rifle hunters that have purchased a type 9 license as well and will later be rifle hunting. I think the advantage you have over them is that you can hunt earlier in September.

JR

Unit 38 and 39 type 9 tags you are limited to archery only. Unit 38 and 39 type 1 tags you are limited to rifle hunting only and can not archery hunt. Unit 35 type 9 you can only archery hunt from Sept 1-30. 35 type 1 you can archery hunt Sept 15-30 and then rifle hunt (if you purchase an archery license). Each unit is a little different so be sure to check out the regs!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom