elk unit 72-74

1Bigbull

My dad drew the Oct 22 hunt this year and I am trying to formulate a plan. I was wondering if there is enough elk outside of the wilderness ,or in 74, to have a good hunt with a reasonable chance at a nice bull(330).If not I will look into horses if needed. My dad is 64 so this will be his first and last chance at elk in the silver state. If anyone has any advice or insight I would really appreciate it. It's going to be my two brothers and myself taking dad so at the very least we'll have some fun with the old man while he can still go.
Thanks,
1bigbull

Had that tag last year,on sep 29 before the cow season started I saw about 40 bulls in one day, several shooters above 320, I stayed for opening day cow season (200 tags) and it was a circus. We went up there on oct 20 and did not see an elk from the road for 2 days.
Luckily it was my 28 year old son's tag, he is in very good shape,we knew right away where all the elk had been pushed too, in the wilderness, so in he went and shot a 300 inch bull. Everyone I talked to said all the elk were in the wilderness, no one had seen an elk, not even a cow from the road. Now over on bear mountain it might be different I don't know. If you have access to horses it would be wise to bring them. Good luck!

I helped a friend with the early rifle tag a week after the season opened luckily most of the people had killed their bulls by the time I could make it to help her. It was a circus then also with muzzleloader deer and cow hunters ad also rifle bull hunters out at the same time. I don't know about October but good luck.

Actually 1Bigbull, this will not be a ?busy? time in the wilderness compared to the 6 weeks prior to your hunt. Unless I am missing something, the only two hunts going on at this time are the late deer rifle hunt (238 total tags) and your bull elk hunt (77 total tags).

I have spent a lot of time in these mountains during the last two weeks of October and you will need to get into the wilderness. With good optics you may glass elk from the road up around the tops of the peaks and ridges, but you will have to go in after them. Horses will be a major plus, if for nothing other than to pack that big boy out once you put him down.

I will be up there for the late deer rifle hunt this year so maybe our paths will cross. Good luck and have a fun hunt in some great country!

Battleborn,
I appreciate the heads up. I'll get your contact info before I head out, in case we see a nice buck while we are out looking around.
Jason

I have the same tag. I was wondering what type of habitat the Bulls will be using, aspen, dark timber, brush? What aspect or does that not matter?

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom