Elk With 5 Points?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
What units are my best odds at drawing a tag with 5 points? Preferably where I can harvest a 400" bull just off the road...HaHa. Seriously, I will be looking at cashing in some points in the next few years and I'm just curious how hard it is to draw an elk tag. Thanks in advance!

Steve

I got the 111 archery tag with 5 points.

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

NR? probably not with 5, resident? probably not with 5....but it happens. good luck....most of the time it takes closer to 10 points before you can really start thinking about drawing seriously. But, like i said, people with less do get drawn all the time. Good luck again

I remember that thread. Heck of a nice bull. Congrats! I hope to do the same one day.

Steve

Steve, like most I apply in decending order of draw odds just to get a tag BUT, aren't you sitting out antelope right now?? The "sit out" period for elk is 10 years. :-(

I've kinda rethought my plan and am a lil more picky. No 111-113 221 late for me any more. Thats just me but @ 50, +10 for "sit out" period + 5-10-15 more years/points to draw, I'm probably only gonna hunt Nevada elk one time. Not gonna shut it down til I have to but I'm realistic. @ 65-75 years old I'm not sure I can just sit a horse and ride all day to find elk but we'll see.

I think you're a lil younger than me and maybe best for you to just get a tag as soon as possible to start the process over. But you'll be chasing Nevada elk someday with your son too.

Califelkslayer- A 10 year waiting period, huh? Fudge, that's a long time. I'm 37 right now so maybe I should try to start drawing a tag now. By the time I'm 54 or so, I'd have a shot to draw again. I see why you'd want to wait but.....maybe you should not think that far in advance. We never know when it's our time to go! I'd hate to go meet the man upstairs with 10 elk points!! That's a sick way to put things in perspective, huh?!

Steve

Took me 19 years to draw. I had so much fun I talked my brother-in-law to put in after my hunt and he drew 111-113, 221-222 the first year. Go figure.

CAelkslayer, if you put down 111-115 221,222E then you should do the late hunt because I think there is no difference in the quality of the hunts. I personaly like the late hunt better because there is less people out there. The elk are just as spooked in the early hunt with all the deer hunters running around the month before. Just my thoughts Ryan

231 rifle with 4 NR points. Get to know your unit asap, it can be really challenging, even frusterating DIY, but in the end, can be sooooooo rewarding......

Mark

Wiz, I hear ya on "when it's your time." I live for today but plan for tomorrow. It's a rough decision sometimes but Nevada isn't the only state with elk, just with some of the biggest. :)

When I draw Nv elk, it'll be a surprise but what a wonderful surprise.

I'm good with OTC Colorado bull tag huntin, and any draw tag I pull anywhere so I'm not in that big of a hurry for Nevada. My dad's 73 and I think he's gonna be huntin a good Utah unit this year. I feel at 49 I have another 15 quality elk hunts in me, but only about 1/2 will be my tags. Can't wait to walk up to my wife's first dead bull, or her son's either. I'd like to be there when my dad takes a big-un. And my son seems to have his stuff together now maybe he'll help the ole man out when I'm 65+ like I do for my dad.

I've rambled enough, good luck in the draws.

I drew, at 19 years old, with 7 resident points in 2002. I believe there were less tags then and it was before they split the hunt into early and late hunts. My brother drew with 9 points in 2001. Its all just a matter of luck. My family has drawn 6 resident elk tags in 7 years starting in 2000-2006, all successful hunts with 330+ bulls. With any where from a ton of bonus points to as few as 7 points. I have known a lot of people who draw with only 1 or 2 points.

That area around Ely has the bulls you are looking for. You always have a chance with 5 points. Quality is a little down because of high tag numbers and the word is out. But a couple of studs make it through every year. Good luck

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom