Elksniper's Antelope Redemption

crazyelk

For us another Unit 52 muzzleloader antelope season has come and gone. This time, Elksniper (Kiko Jr.) has redeemed himself big time by taking a very nice buck opening morning. This is his first buck antelope.

You see he is 0 for 2 on past hunts in this unit. I recall the first year he hunted in unit 52; it was hot just like this past weekend. Kiko Jr. ended up in the emergency room with a good case of dehydration. This pretty much ended that hunt. The second year (two years ago), it poured rain and opportunities at the big bucks were very limited.

This year we were very excited to learn that he had drawn this tag again. In preparation, Kiko Jr. burned about two pounds of Blackhorn 209 in my Encore. He was shooting that muzzleloader quite well. Shots out to 200-250 yards would be very doable. As this weekend started getting closer, we started watching the weather forecast and knew that rain was not going to be an issue this time, but dehydration might; it was going to be a hot one. We decide to buy two cases of bottled water this time and loaded our packs with water. The only way to make our packs lighter would be to drink plenty of water. Good idea!

Little did we know that the hunt would end so soon? The hunt would end before the heat of the day and before we would have to crack the cap of the first water bottle. All but one of the water bottles would have to be carried back to the truck, because at approximately 7:00 am on opening morning, Kiko Jr. cracked a 209 primer at his first antelope buck. We drank one bottle each as we game carted his buck about one mile back to the truck.

This opening morning felt like the many we have experience in past. The alarm clock going off at 4:00 am, walking in the dark while tripping over the rocks and cactus; trying not to step on snakes and seeing the dawn break over the Sangre de Cristos to the east as we begin to glass the open prairie for antelope. That's when we saw our first group of antelope. It was a group of ten bucks to be exact, with two or three shooters in the bunch. They were slightly above us as another hunter was making his stalk towards them. We figured we had a great chance to intercept this herd if we would stay put and wait for the hunter to spook them to us. Sure enough the hunter was busted and here they came at a slight angle toward us. I told Kiko Jr. to focus on the third buck in the string. He was the best one. Not a super buck, but a nice first buck for a young man. The string of bucks slowed down to a walk. They were not going to get closer to us, so the Leica Geovids were deployed. The red LCD at the bottom of the view read 173 yards. The third target shooter buck slowed and stood broadside. Just when I was telling Kiko Jr. to hold two inches high from where he wanted to hit him and squeeze, to our right came a much larger buck. All we could see was two black horns coming right at us. It was a no brainer. Kiko Jr. had already swung the bi-pod over to the right with enough lead, as the buck angled and headed into the zone of fire. The buck stopped and turned toward us as he caught sight of the something beyond us. Perhaps he was looking at the other group of bucks? No button would have to be pressed on the Leicas this time. Kiko Jr. knew he was at point blank range. He pulled the hammer back on the Encore and squeezed the trigger. BOOM? THUMP, the big buck lost his legs and hit the ground. It's a great feeling when you hear your son say ?I got him!? Yes he did. It was his first buck antelope and a great one to boot.

As Santiago and Roberto joined us they could not believe the size of Kiko?s buck. Santiago?s eyes just about popped out of his head. He said ?I didn't think it was that big. I knew it was a good buck, but not that big.? We are all very proud of Kiko Jr. We are all very thankful for having another opportunity to be out there and doing what we like to do this time of year. Hunt antelope with the muzzleloader. Again, we thanked everyone we could for this moment, for our well being, and our success. We thanked my mom and dad for watching over us. We miss them very much but we definitely felt their presence.

We knew it was going to get hot so we had to hustle. I said lets take some pictures, get the buck field dressed, and get him to some cold storage. As I opened my pack I realized that I had forgotten my camera at home. Dang it! When I put my hunting list together, that is item #9 on the check list. Good thing Kiko Jr. had his cell phone with him. We were able to take these photos with the phone. Not the best, but not bad.

Kiko Jr. is very proud of his buck and Santiago is very proud of his brother. I better run and see if that antelope head and cape is not in their room tonight. Kiko Jr. can't let out of his sight. LOL

2480kiko_antelope_3.jpg

7347downsized_0814000722a.jpg

7445downsized_0814000738.jpg

That is a great buck and a first one at that, congrats to you all and especially kiko jr for making an excellent shot, what a goat! Nice story to go along with some good photos, congrats again guys, well done.
nmbighorn

Awesome antelope!!! Way to go Kiko Jr. He has drawn 3 tags for unit 52???? Wow!
Nice heavy buck and I like the way the horns seem to lean forward.
Congrats!!

Way to go JR that's a nice buck. He will look great on the wall.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Elksniper.....Way to go on a Beautiful Speedgoat!! thanks for sharing the pics and the great story!! Congratulations!!!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Congrats Elksniper! That is an awesome buck and story. I was up there this weekend too with a friend. Didn't see any bucks that big!

Congrats again!

Travis

way to go!!! That is an awesome hunt and to draw it three years in a row is awesome. I have put in for that unit for 13 years and drawn it once. I hope you know how lucky you are in drawing that tag. congrats again on a beautiful goat.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-10 AT 03:28PM (MST)[p]Thanks guys! We put the tape on him and he scores 82 3/8. What an exciting hunt! A hunt I will remember forever.

Thanks again

ElkSniper

Attaboy Kiko Jr., way to start the season off with a great speedgoat! Man, I know I can count on your clan to keep me looking at hunting pictures all season long. Hope you guys knock some more animals down this fall.
-Cody

Great story and shooting! Congrats on a great buck and hunt. Everyone must be proud of a job well done. Thanks for sharing.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom