Emus, anyone? Bess?

TripleK

Long Time Member
You seen that dude's missing emu around, Bess? That ol' boy sure is lookin' hard for it....LOL

Background- some ol' boy who calls in daily to our classifieds program is missing an emu. It's been missing for, like, 2 months.

This dude calls in every single day looking for any unwanted animals, vegetables, canning jars, old cars & trucks etc. Anyway- he calls in last week to say he's lost this billy goat- this was after his plea for any unwanted animals-. He also happens to mention he's still looking for his emu. WTF? That was 2 months ago, man!

So I actually said that on-air, 'Wait...wait...wait! DUDE! You're STILL lookin' for that emu? That was, like 2 months ago! It's still out there?" He confirms and says he would like to get it back. (I also told him now he probably knows why the billy goat was unwanted. He said he had it all of 5 minutes before it escaped. LOL)

anyway- later on last night I"m talking about this with a friend at a basketball game and someone nearby says, "An EMU? I've SEEN IT!" they tell me where and that they just saw it running down the road.

So- I relay this info today when the dude calls in. He goes, "Well, did they try to catch it?" I'm like, "Ummm...no, man. Emus are kinda big and well...sorta mean. and I don't think they knew it was, like, missing. They just saw it and were like...oh! And Emu! In Myton! how strange." LOL Those were pretty much my actual words.

2 calls later we have another emu sighting! Some dude has seen it...but he didn't try to catch it.

I think Bess needs to head up a Basin Emu Hunt! Who's in? You can't kill it though. Just catch it. That should be fun, right? Emus are great pets, right? ;-) lol

Bess- I miss your calls! :)

Hey JENNY!

You Damn Near Got a Call Today!

But About the Time I was gonna Call I Heard You Talkin to this JOKER!

I Hope He's Listening Tomorrow or the Next Day!:D

[font color="blue"]It Was them Damn Lake Trout that took them Elk
out!:D[/font]

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-17 AT 07:22PM (MST)[p]I'm in... haha. I can see it headlining the Standard now. Maybe we could hold a jackpot emu ropin' with an entrance fee and purse to be donated to fences for the ol boy.

>
>I'm in... haha. I can see
>it headlining the Standard now.
>Maybe we could hold a
>jackpot emu ropin' with an
>entrance fee and purse to
>be donated to fences for
>the ol boy.

YES! LOL I can just imagine what kind of Ligertown this dude's compound out in the cedars looks like. I'm sure he definitely needs fences.

(you remember the great Ligertown lion escape of 1995 in Idaho, right? Ramshackle as hell)

>Deal me out. I ain't messing
>with a rabid Emu.

You may want to re-think that. Roy's got the drop on you on turtle scouting in the Basin. He'll be here in a couple of weeks to scout. I wouldn't be surprised if he poaches a trophy Basin terrapin right out of its winter den. Just sayin', Eel....

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-17 AT 03:19PM (MST)[p]"Poach a Basin terrapin right out of its winter den" - J

Jennifer, Jennifer, Jennifer - you are still just traumatized by the time I dug that "poor little cottontail" out of that log we chased it in to and you jumped in front of the gun yelling "RUN BUNNY RUN!! RUN BUNNY RUN!!" when it jumped out.

No worries Eel. I am not coming to Utah to scout turtles. All the good ponds will have ice on them.

As far as the emu is concerned - isn't that how the farmer calls in his cows? ('E moos at 'em)

I will see if I can bring some of those bolos they use to catch them down under. We can probably help that guy out!

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Bessy would have to get a bigger BBQ pit.
EMU steak with diced jalapeno and bacon.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-17 AT 05:05PM (MST)[p]Breeding

"Emus pair in summer and breed in the cooler months. The female develops blue skin on her neck and her feathers turn a darker brown. She struts around the male making special noises to say that she is ready to mate.

"The male builds a rough nest from bark, grass, sticks and leaves, in a hollow on the ground. Every second or third day, the female lays a very large, thick-shelled, dark green egg, weighing about 1 pound (0.5 kg). The male becomes broody after about the seventh egg. He sits on the clutch of eggs to incubate them, in between the times when the female lays more eggs. Nests usually have clutches of 8 to 10 eggs, but there can be almost double this number.

"For the next eight weeks, the male stays on the nest, surviving on his accumulated body fat and any morning dew that he can reach. He stands up only to turn the eggs, about 10 times a day."
----------------------------------------------

What a disgraceful bird. They should have gone extinct a million years ago. How embarrassing for the males. What do the females do? Sit around and preen all day like human females?

>So the emu went rogue, got
>caught, and turned into an
>azz kicking machine... busted up
>the would be rescuers truck...
>I got that right Jen?
>

Somebody was listening today! Hahaha truck owner wants compensation now. This could get even more interesting. Lol

I Put a Kink in that Birds Neck!:D

The Owner didn't Call me JENN,Imagine that!

Wonder How He Liked it when I Said I Was gonna get my 375 RUM & Put a Bullet in the Birds Beak?

I had an close encounter with one of those once. In 1999, I moved from Elko County to be the Park Supervisor at Spring Valley State Park, about 20 miles east of Pioche, in rugged PJ woodland. In spring 2000, on a warm afternoon, I'm driving through some pretty thick stuff, when I looked through the side window, and thought I was seeing things! I jammed on the brakes, backed up, and there stood an EMU! I couldn't figure in that kind of habitat, where a lost emu might have come from?! Asking around, I was able to determine that the Pearson Ranch in Camp Valley had a few that escaped during a short-lived venture. I think the coyotes had taken most of the escapees, but it appears this guy had survived several years on the run!! It was the only time I'd ever seen one, and I never encountered another one! :)

>
>"For the next eight weeks, the
>male stays on the nest,
>surviving on his accumulated body
>fat and any morning dew
>that he can reach. He
>stands up only to turn
>the eggs, about 10 times
>a day."
>----------------------------------------------
>
>What a disgraceful bird. They should
>have gone extinct a million
>years ago. How embarrassing for
>the males. What do the
>females do? Sit around and
>preen all day like human
>females?

Hahahaha- oh to be a female Emu

Hey JENN?

Still No Call from the Owner?:D:D:D

Roy, I think they caught the Emu. It's safe to come to Utah and poach....I mean scout turtles now.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom