Escalante Ranch Jensen, Utah

Whatchaketchemon

Anyone hunted elk on the Escalante Ranch out of Jensen, Utah? Any reviews out there? The Google machine doesn’t come up with a whole lot. Thanks.

Canned? Could not see that it is high fenced?
It's probably more of a "canned" hunt then a lot of high fenced hunts are. There is a large herd of elk that do not leave the property which consists of a few large hay fields next to the river. They will sit you in an elevated ground blind and you have your pick of what elk you want to shoot, or they "let" you shoot like Rut said. But they are "wild elk"

Great if that's what you want to do go for it. They do have some big boy's running around out there.

It's probably more of a "canned" hunt then a lot of high fenced hunts are. There is a large herd of elk that do not leave the property which consists of a few large hay fields next to the river. They will sit you in an elevated ground blind and you have your pick of what elk you want to shoot, or they "let" you shoot like Rut said. But they are "wild elk"

Great if that's what you want to do go for it. They do have some big boy's running around out there.
Don’t you shoot a lot of your bucks out of alfalfa fields? What’s the difference between the two?

whenever the herd moves towards the edge of the property a “ranch truck” drives over there to scare them back on…. And the good ole utah dnr has passed laws specifically to keep the public hunters from shooting across or within the high water level of the green river. Sounds pretty canned to me!!!

whenever the herd moves towards the edge of the property a “ranch truck” drives over there to scare them back on…. And the good ole utah dnr has passed laws specifically to keep the public hunters from shooting across or within the high water level of the green river. Sounds pretty canned to me!!!
So, you’ve obviously watched/been around the ranch trying to kill these “canned” elk…

So they watch these elk 24/7?

^haha I was thinking the exact same thing.

Sheesh a guy kills one buck in a hay field and everyone takes notice. Lol

Don’t you shoot a lot of your bucks out of alfalfa fields? What’s the difference between the two?
And a lot of people look down there noses at me for it lol. Like I said if it's what your into go for it.

And to be clear I've killed two deer in a hay field in 25 years, one 20 years ago when I was 18 with a bow, and one this past year with a muzzleloader. And one deer in a corn field with a bow. Lol I guess that's a lot.

I will say this the difference between the deer I have hunted around fields is vastly different then a hunt on that ranch would be. But I have no issues with it, hell I wish I could hunt it. I've seen legit 360-380 bulls on that place the few times I've stopped and glassed it from across the river.

I don't personally know anyone that's hunted it, but have herd that they choose which elk you can shoot out of the herd, the bigger the bull the more you will have to pay and I guess that is their prerogative if they can get people to pay them to do it, I can't personally vouch for that but that is what I have herd.

Lol, I think a lot of you are taking great exception to the term "canned hunt" hell even a free range hunt can be a canned hunt in my eyes. To me a canned hunt is, basically a guaranteed kill, as far as a free range hunt goes, that place is probably as "canned" as it can get, they drive you out to the blind, you sit for a couple hours and when the herd feeds out of the brush from along the river they tell you which bull you can shoot. If that's the hunt you want to do, go for it.

Can those elk leave? Absolutely and some do, I actually think a fair number of bulls pull down onto the ranch from unit 10 in Colorado and from the Dinosaur National Monument for the rut as there is a large herd of cows that never/rarely leave And they do leave on occasion. Lots of people hunt around the edges during the season and sometimes they get lucky.

It's funny what people get bent out of shape about.

And a lot of people look down there noses at me for it lol. Like I said if it's what your into go for it.

And to be clear I've killed two deer in a hay field in 25 years, one 20 years ago when I was 18 with a bow, and one this past year with a muzzleloader. And one deer in a corn field with a bow. Lol I guess that's a lot.

I will say this the difference between the deer I have hunted around fields is vastly different then a hunt on that ranch would be. But I have no issues with it, hell I wish I could hunt it. I've seen legit 360-380 bulls on that place the few times I've stopped and glassed it from across the river.

I don't personally know anyone that's hunted it, but have herd that they choose which elk you can shoot out of the herd, the bigger the bull the more you will have to pay and I guess that is their prerogative if they can get people to pay them to do it, I can't personally vouch for that but that is what I have herd.

Lol, I think a lot of you are taking great exception to the term "canned hunt" hell even a free range hunt can be a canned hunt in my eyes. To me a canned hunt is, basically a guaranteed kill, as far as a free range hunt goes, that place is probably as "canned" as it can get, they drive you out to the blind, you sit for a couple hours and when the herd feeds out of the brush from along the river they tell you which bull you can shoot. If that's the hunt you want to do, go for it.

Can those elk leave? Absolutely and some do, I actually think a fair number of bulls pull down onto the ranch from unit 10 in Colorado and from the Dinosaur National Monument for the rut as there is a large herd of cows that never/rarely leave And they do leave on occasion. Lots of people hunt around the edges during the season and sometimes they get lucky.

Almost Every one would shoot a 30” or a 340” out of the hay fields Jake. Don’t let them sh-t ya. Nothing wrong with that (especially)after you hit 55 and above.

I have zero issues with you Jake or anyone else shooting big game out of an alfalfa field, as long as it's not high fenced... He!! I do from time to time on my in-laws' property... I was just asking what the difference was and you answered so thanks...

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom