ETHICAL HUNTING

Grizz

I could ask this question under the waterfowl topic but I wanted other hunters to give me their opinion. Some of my friends are great waterfowl hunters but it really bothers me when these geese too often are not cooked up for the family but eventually are fed to the dog. I get after them about this. I know there is a legal aspect to this question but i'm not interested in that aspect. My question is...Is it ethical? When we take a bird because it's a great fun hunt ..... are we also ethically required to utilize and respect the taking of that life? Is my thinking going too far? I know that Geese are a challenging dish to prepare. It seems to be easy to put them in the freezer and let them freezer burn especially when the harvest is bountious. I always took the initiative with my own sons to cook some up the next day as kind of a father & son traditional meal that we prepared together. It was a part of the hunt. I need some feedback. Am I going too far by hounding my friends.

I recently said here that the plucking and eating of ducks and geese is not worth the fun of shooting them. A grain fed mallard opened up, laid out flat, and broiled fast, 7 minutes a side, with BBQ sauce is an exception to that rule. Yum!

They're his birds, i'd not let it bother me one way or the other.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

You do as you do. We eat what we shoot except for varmits and coyotes. To us the game fills our freezer and is meat on the table which is part of our lifestyle but that is our lifestyle. I have heard of some people who shoot big game and feed the entire animal to the dog since they dislike the meat but enjoy the hunt. I don't like that mentality but its part of life and how some people are.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Waterfowl hunters aren't exactly the poster children for ethical hunters. I see more game laws broken and more unethical BS by waterfowl hunters then any other group of hunters. BTW, I'm a waterfowl hunter.

I shot 2 antelope a bull and cow elk, 6 deer, and 2 bob cats so far. You think I can eat all that! Heck no my dog lives the good life. (especially likes the cat)

It's been years since I've had the opportunity to cook up some goose, but when I hunted them a lot I use to rip open the breast skin, fillet out the breast meat, and then pop out the drum sticks and thigh from the same hole. I would then soak them over night in lightly salted water. To cook them I would role them in flour and seasonings, brown them in a frying pan, and then place them in a glass cake pan,cover them with aluminum foil and bake them for 2 or 3 hours at around 300 to 323. As I remember, they were wonderful. Tender, juicy... Cold they tasted a lot like roast beef. But that was a long time ago and maybe I was just hungrier back then.

I eat everything, and i dont hunt what i wont eat. I have killed coyote before but will not bother again as the meat will not go to any good use. My dogs farts are bad enough with their normal food so i dont think i need to feed them any thing extra to help it.

I dont know anyone that hunts to just feed their dogs, i find it odd. if you cannot eat the meat from the animal you kill then maybe you are killing too many animals?? Just a thought.

I will shoot a couple coots here and there for the dogs while out waterfowling, and for the record, goose is delicious!

I HAVE MEET SEVERAL HUNTERS THAT SAY THEY WONT EAT MULE DEER, NOT A GOOD TASTING MEAT AT ALL THEY SAY. I ADMIT ITS NOT MY FAVORITE BIG GAME EITHER, BUT I HAVE FOUND A COUPLE OF WAYS TO COOK IT I DO LIKE..........................YD.

I think you are probably "splittin hairs" here my friend. My buddy used to buy his dog a couple McDonald's cheeseburgers after a good morning huntin ducks or pheasants, that didn't seem unethical. When we have a Sunday steak dinner, my parents' dog gets the leftovers. If we had a pheasant fry or a duck fry, the dog would also get leftovers... Same with deer steaks too.

Point is, we feed dogs a lot of human food, I don't think this is much different.

p.s. I haven't hunted waterfowl in a couple years because I don't like havin to take care of so many birds that taste so bad... :D

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

It is nice to see a question on this forum that has some meat to it! LOL.
I read too many questions on this forum about meaningless topics.
But being ethical is something I think we all need to think about if we want to continue doing what we love to do.
Thanks Grizz, for throwing it out there.
If we were more ethical as a group, we would have a lot less critics. I wish I could say I have never wasted any game, but I do my best to consume the game I shoot.
Some of us shoot more than we can consume, or give away, and I guess feeding it to a dog is still consuming it and better than throwing it in the can.

> I think you are probably
>"splittin hairs" here my friend.
>My buddy used to buy
>his dog a couple McDonald's
>cheeseburgers after a good morning
>huntin ducks or pheasants, that
>didn't seem unethical. When we
>have a Sunday steak dinner,
>my parents' dog gets the
>leftovers. If we had a
>pheasant fry or a duck
>fry, the dog would also
>get leftovers... Same with deer
>steaks too.
>
> Point is, we feed dogs
>a lot of human food,
>I don't think this is
>much different.
>
> p.s. I haven't hunted waterfowl
>in a couple years because
>I don't like havin to
>take care of so many
>birds that taste so bad...
>:D
>
>
>"Therefore, wo be unto him that
>is at ease in Zion!"
>2 Ne. 28: 24

+1

At least he's not throwing them in the trash! ;-)

S.

:)

Our dogs are humans too aren't they, LOL? Actually, I don't feed my pointer anything other than his ration of Iams, but I make sure that anything I shoot either goes in my freezer or is spoken for before the hunt even starts so nothing is wasted.

Ethics are never absolute from person to person as they are based on values. Values are unique to the individual. We eat everything we hunt. When I was trapping we ate a few muskrats and beaver, but most of the carcases went to making bait for further trapping or to the chicken yard where the birds would eat it and we would eat the eggs. Raccoon are a favorite in some parts of the country, but we didn't eat the ones I trapped. Skunk has a rich red meat that I wouldn't be hesitant to eat if need arose and of course you can process it without any smell if you know what you are doing. With possible exceptions to individual animals/birds and not species, I expect pretty much all meat could be palatable. Between the big game, hogs, and chickens we butcher, there hasn't been need for more.

There are plenty of people who could use meat if one has it left over, including plenty who would love the wild meat. Generally, I'd prefer it go to people in need than animals not in need. But those are my ethics and as indicated above my ethics aren't carved in stone either. We would just do well to respect others' ethics as long as they don't overtly harm others.

dogs gotta eat too. what is the difference of who or what eats it. itits not going to waste. what is the difference if you go buy your dog some food or if you hunt to feed your dog??

Id stay off their backs. another option is they could donate it to needy people. i am sure plenty of people could put it to use

There is a Fish & Game rule book in every State. If those rules are not broken, the rest of the discussion is none of your business......unless you just want to be "Sister Bertha, better than you".

"Fathom the hypocracy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove that they are insured.....but not everyone must prove that they are a citizen"

EVERY YEAR I USE DUCKS FOR TRAINGING MY DOG. IN MY OPINION THEY AREN'T BEING WASTED. INFACT, I WOULD SAY FOR EVERY BIRD I USE TO TRAIN MY DOG, I FIND 5 IN THE SWAMP THAT I WOULDN'T HAVE FOUND WITH OUT THE AIDE OF MY LAB.

It was a big bodied 2 point. (this is my signature)

BRANDON SAYS....
if you cannot eat the meat from the animal you kill then maybe you are killing too many animals?? Just a thought.

Brandon do you consider this the measure of ethical & non-ethical ?
....how do you cook your "delicious geeses"?

TOPGUN says "I make sure that anything I shoot either goes in my freezer or is spoken for..."

TOPGUN...I'm impressed with this

Hi Nickman,

There is the letter of the law and then there is the code of the Hunter.
They are 2 very different things. I'm not talking about the rule book but
about the unwritten stuff ....

We all have ethics about hunting. Should some of these things be absolutes
for all of us or is it always just a personal thing. I was taught a hardline
ethic that all hunters followed back in the day.... so have we just quit teaching our young right and wrong and that anything goes.

Here are some examples>

1- Who gets the big buck, the hunter that wounded it or the hunter over the hill that finished off?

2- You see a big buck but then see another hunter on its trail. Do you back off or take that long shot spoiling the guy who's tracking it?

3- You come across a small wounded buck...do you humanly shoot it or are you more worried about illegally shooting and leaving a deer?

4- Your camping with friends. They let their kids trash the camp, scar the trees, and shoot randomly in the air. What do you do as a ethical hunter.

In my day, these were black and white issues. Have the times changed the code of the West?

3- You come across a small wounded buck...do you humanly shoot it or are you more worried about illegally shooting and leaving a deer?

So according to the ethics of you "old timers" big bucks were left to suffer?

Griz.
I am 65 years old.

I have helped raise a LOT of kids, using the "right and wrong" concept. I don't think it is rocket science to train the difference between the 2 ways of doing things.

You start drawing lines and injecting YOUR moral standards toward other people, you become hipocritical.

Just as an example; At your next PTA meeting, stand up and tell the auditorium that you are a hunter, gun owner, 4x4 owner, with a subscription to Playboy magazine and a liquor cabinet containing a quart of Irish whiskey, a wife who has had breast augmentation and you make your living breeding rodeo stock and pit bulls.......

Not a single "wrong" thing there, but do you see how many people have a "moral/ethics" issue with any one of them.

Everything we believe is "right", is WAY "wrong" to another part of the society we live in.

Who gets to decide?

Best that you and yours "do the right thing", as YOU see it, and let others do what they do.

"Fathom the hypocracy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove that they are insured.....but not everyone must prove that they are a citizen"

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-12 AT 07:56AM (MST)[p] NICKMAN........YOUR WISE BEYOND YOUR YEARS....(YOU ALSO SEE THE BIG PICTURE)......NOT MANY DO..........TAKE ER EASY.................YD.

I think its a shame to waste game meat. Some meats are good no matter how you cook them, others you have to get creative, but you shouldn't waste it imo. At least give it to someone who does enjoy it.
I have given friends a hard time for wasting meat, but in the end, I don't let it affect our friendship. They just don't have the same convictions I do.

"The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit." ~ Aldo Leopold

I do give it to someone who enjoys it, my hound loves that stuff. I actually have a backstrap in the fridge for him for the next 2 days. I actually did offer the backstraps to the neighboors, one came and got it the other never showed. now my dog gets to enjoy it.

>I do give it to someone
>who enjoys it, my hound
>loves that stuff. I
>actually have a backstrap in
>the fridge for him for
>the next 2 days.
>I actually did offer the
>backstraps to the neighboors, one
>came and got it the
>other never showed. now
>my dog gets to enjoy
>it.
Just curious, what do you eat?

"The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit." ~ Aldo Leopold

timothymarks, You're killing all those critters and feeding the best parts to a god damn dog? If you or folks you know can't/won't eat it then maybe it's time to quit pulling the trigger. mtmuley

+1 Feeding backstraps to a dog when there are starving people in this country is as close to a sin as you can get IMHO!!!

I give my dogs ribeye stake sometimes and sometimes I give them hamburger most the time they get Old Roy. Hell their some of my best buddys but no one says we should stop killing cattle because I fed some to my dog. If a guy wants to give his dog some meat I'm ok with it. The way people are today the hungry probably would turn down the game meat anyway. If I kill a critter and Im not going to freeze or eat it I take it to a meat donation place that is happy to get it.

mtmuley, it is a hound not a dog. I think the real issue here is a little jealousy. Maybe its because I get to spend 150+ days a year hunting, maybe its because my freezer is full of game and yours is just burning electricity. I dunno but honestly it shouldnt bother you what i do with my game, If i knew you I would definatly offer to give you some, i give it away by the cooler full.

To the guy who asked what I eat, I actually love elk I eat alot of it. We also butcher a pig and a cow a year for the family. I dont care for mule deer, however I did sausage this years, got about 40 lbs of breakfast sausage that has been pretty good. I got alot of whitetail this year and that stuff is great. dont really care for the antelope but they are fun to snipe.

Cry me a river.
Spring snow goose season in SD, the limit is UNLIMITED per day,YES it is unlimited, WHY do you think it 40 per day, Because they are called flying rats, They are eating themselves out house and home.If they are taking down quick it will be a disaster on the tundra. Now we have killed hundreds in a day and we then donate them to the local locker(butcher) and he then cleans them(auto picking machine) and then donates them to rest homes and such.If we could do that we breast them out and feed them to the dogs.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I have my own moral compass by which I live. You have yours. I don't think you must live by mine nor me by yours.

Everyone must/should live by the laws and rules but beyond that it all boils down you your paradigm.

I shoot a few jacks every year....hundreds back when we had millions of them (before most of you guys were born) but I never ate any of them. Cottontails were cherished for the meat but the jack was the king for sport. Nothing beats running jacks with the Vixen .222!

I do show my teath a bit when I'm told how crappy game meat is. Most everything is relished around our casa...even the occasional goose.

Zeke

Goose recipe: breast, cube, brine over night, fry in butter, smoother with beef gravy, turn heat way down and let it light bubble for 3-4 hours until super tender, serve on a bed of rice. It's pretty damn good!

tim. how do you get to hunt 150 days a year? what do you do for a living'let the rest of us in on it,,please,.,,,

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-12 AT 04:37PM (MST)[p]It may be legal in your state but you would probably go to jail for it in MT,if your not going to eat it donate it to the local food bank,they are more than happy to get it here,one of our local butcher shops cuts it for free if you donate it.When your dogs end up with trichinosis ect you will know where they got it.

I am a team lead for AECOM, I work in the c130 depot at hill afb. As for 150 days a year that is easy, throughout the summer i hunt every fri and sat night. And usually every other thursday night for coon. If I do not go on a coon hunt then i spend the day hunting bear. When August rolls around since im a dedicated hunter i spend every sat, sunday, and several days throughout the the week bowhunting, the same throughout the muzzle loader season. then between the muzzy and rifle i go spend a weekend in wyoming and shoot some speed goats. then comes rifle elk, and again thatsw every sat sun, and every other fri. I will also hunt several evening hunts during the week. then i do the same thing for rifle deer. November comes and its cow elk time.... then I spent 2 weeks in texas killing whitetail. now its winter time and i spend the weekends looking for bobcat and lion. also i will go on a coon hunt or 2 during the week depending on the weather.. you do the math.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-12 AT 07:11PM (MST)[p]since dogs are naturally a meat eater i will take my chances. the fact that cases of trichinosis are super rare in the united states i think my chances are pretty good.

Furthermore if the game i kill is infected with trichinosis wouldnt it be better that i fed it to my dog than ate it myself.. next time you catch a case of trichinosis, just remember you could have fed it to your dog instead.

Hey Timmy, from the sounds of your post your a Utard who lives in Ogden for Christ sake, I seriously doubt Mtmuley or anyone else is jealous of you and your coon hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-12 AT 06:10AM (MST)[p]sure sounds like it since What I do for a living, and what I do with my game is so important to him.. And of course why would you be jealous of my coon hunting when you get to spend so much time at home to knit, and grow pretty flowers.

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-12
>AT 07:11?PM (MST)

>
>since dogs are naturally a meat
>eater i will take my
>chances. the fact that
>cases of trichinosis are super
>rare in the united states
>i think my chances are
>pretty good.
>
>Furthermore if the game i kill
>is infected with trichinosis wouldnt
>it be better that i
>fed it to my dog
>than ate it myself.. next
>time you catch a case
>of trichinosis, just remember you
>could have fed it to
>your dog instead.

I guess the guy on this forum who go trichinosis along with his friends that got it also probably wish they had to fed it to their dogs....Do you thoroughly cook the meat before feeding it to your dogs?Cooking is the reason people dont get it more often.

was the guy eating bear or deer? 1 group of guys gets it out of how many users on this forum?

It was BuckSnort. He got trichinosis from eating bear meat. It was undercooked.

Burnin' up don't know just how far that I can go, soon be home only just 4 downs to go, I can make it I know I can! You broke the boy in me but you won't break the man! I can see a new horizon blazin' on the Mile High. I'll be where the eagle's flyin' higher and higher! Gonna be your man in motion, all I need's my Broncos team take me where my future's lyin' Tim Tebow's Fire! GO BRONCOS!

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Animals that eat meat have a way higher chance of carrying it than other non meat eaters.

I agree.. there's a difference though between legal, ethical and holier than thou.

I actually like to eat waterfowl, feral hogs though are shot and left to rot, if someone wants them they can have them, but the goal is to kill them all no matter what happens to them after they hit the ground.

You nailed it timothymarks. I don't hunt, my freezer is full of nothing but freezer burned veggies and I'm jealous of you and your hound. Jeezus. I hope you get to hunt 151 days this year. We're pretty limited here in Montana, but I don't count the days. Yeah, I'm jealous. mtmuley

TIM. IF YOU IF YOU EVER HUNT NORTHEASTERN UTAH, I WOULD GLAD TO TAKE YOU DEER; ELK;. .ECT, BEFORE YOU PAY TO HAVE IT CUT UP,

Yep Timmy, my freezer is also empty. I live on 80 acres in SE Idaho, I can drink Whiskey and shoot guns off my porch if I want, hunting is pretty limited around here also. Thank god for the knitting and flower growing. Hell yea I'm jealous, I wish I lived in Ogden and got to hunt that hunting paradise of Utah.

I have about 19k acres of private ground that i have unlimited access to. its only a short 35 minute drive. Not bragging but dont expect me to sit by and say nothing while you libtards want to condemn me for feeding my hounds.

Oh and Shotgun if you want I can sell you a cow elk hunt to fill that freezer up. I have a few vouchers left, ill even lower the price for you to $500.

No people who attempt to infringe upon the rights of others by trying to force them to live life according to their own rules. That is a Libtard.

I can do this all day.

Actually I don't give a flying f*@% what you do with your meat. I just found it really lame that you would think that anyone, especially Mtmuley would be jealous of you. Carry on Utard.

I typically try to avoid personal attacks, I find it childish. Today im feeling kinda childish though so what tha hell..

Im actually a texan, we are better than everyone. And since you are at home raging at your computer right now I would guess that You either DO care what I do with my meat, or you care entirely too much about defending Mtmuleys honor.. Its kinda .. strange. Either way either mine or Mtmuleys meat is on your mind and its kinda giving me the heeebbittyy geebeeteez

timothymarks, As a Montanan that is blessed with long hunting seasons with endless opportunities for many species of big game, I can assure you I am not jealous of your coon hunting every other Thursday. I can also assure I am not a "libtard" as you so eloquently put it. I simply have a personal opinion that one that feeds perfectly good wild game meat to his "hound" has too much of a surplus, and perhaps needs to quit killing. Simple as that. I am as avid and dedicated as any hunter on this site. I also do not need anyone to defend my honor, after about 8 years here, most members on this site know what I'm about. mtmuley

He cant help it,he was born a Texan which gives him a %95 chance of being born a ignorant plick with an ego trip issue,the cards were stacked against him at birth,try to have some empathy.

"timothymarks, You're killing all those critters and feeding the best parts to a god damn dog? If you or folks you know can't/won't eat it then maybe it's time to quit pulling the trigger. mtmuley"

That is a pretty strong personal opinion. However since you seem to want to tone this down so will I but as far as your opinion goes I will rebuke with this. I do not hunt mule deer because I want to eat the meat, if thats what you want to do then that is fine. I would recommend a nice sized spike off a fresh green field. I enjoy the hunt, and I want to kill the biggest buck I can find. You probably have killed many bigger bucks than I, and that is fine. Im doing pretty good for my 4 years of hunting, and can only get better. I dont care about the meat, like i said before I try to give alot of it away but most people wont take it. So I do the next best thing and keep my hounds happy.

Mtshedhedz, yes Im an ignorant plick with a ego problem I can admit it. Fortunatly for me I am still better than you. I am glad though that I do not have a case of small man syndrome, like you. While I try to stray from flinging insults from the saftey of my home you seem to cherish it, like I already said i do find it childish but I dont mind partaking if I must. Now back to your knitting, and hurry up before you oprah.

My biggest concern when I hear " I like to shoot em but I don't like to eat em" is, at some point in time when things are really ugly, such as WAY down in the deepest nastiest hole on the mountain there will be a decision to be made do I pack this meat out (every last morsel) to feed it to my dog or do I leave it here to be ate by nature's dogs? Just make the right decision, and we are not talking laws here.

There are numerous opinions here on every topic discussed and to each their own is usually a pretty good policy but on these shades of gray topics it's amazing to see the diversity of opinion.

Bill

Kill the buck that makes YOU happy!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-12 AT 08:14AM (MST)[p]I think ethically you have a duty to make sure that your game is consumed and not wasted. Hell the dog works a lot harder than I do on most duck hunts, if she gets to share in the bounty I don't think that's unethical at all.

I don't think that feeding the dog some is any different than sharing game with dinner guests or anyone outside your immediate family.

>"timothymarks, You're killing all those critters
>and feeding the best parts
>to a god damn dog?
>If you or folks you
>know can't/won't eat it then
>maybe it's time to quit
>pulling the trigger. mtmuley"
>
>That is a pretty strong personal
>opinion. However since you
>seem to want to tone
>this down so will I
>but as far as your
>opinion goes I will rebuke
>with this. I do
>not hunt mule deer because
>I want to eat the
>meat, if thats what you
>want to do then that
>is fine. I would
>recommend a nice sized spike
>off a fresh green field.
> I enjoy the hunt,
>and I want to kill
>the biggest buck I can
>find. You probably have killed
>many bigger bucks than I,
>and that is fine.
>Im doing pretty good for
>my 4 years of hunting,
>and can only get better.
> I dont care about
>the meat, like i said
>before I try to give
>alot of it away but
>most people wont take it.
> So I do the
>next best thing and keep
>my hounds happy.
>
>Mtshedhedz, yes Im an ignorant plick
>with a ego problem I
>can admit it. Fortunatly
>for me I am still
>better than you. I
>am glad though that I
>do not have a case
>of small man syndrome, like
>you. While I try
>to stray from flinging insults
>from the saftey of my
>home you seem to cherish
>it, like I already said
>i do find it childish
>but I dont mind partaking
>if I must. Now back
>to your knitting, and hurry
>up before you oprah.

At least you can admit it.For someone that keeps posting about how they dont like to make insults you are also proving yourself a complete hypocrite.4 years of hunting and you have it all figured ut dont you?Just do everyone here a favor and stay in TX.

I can admit it, you apparently cannot. And yes I do have it all figured out, Im far more succesful than most.

Exactly, game could just as easily be left in the field for the coyotes. (one could argue that by doing so the coyotes would kill less deer too!)

Yhe get them used to eating deer and they will kill less of them...you ARE a genius!

Sorry if Timmy hijacked this thread...

Otherwise I appreciated the diversity of opinions. I will still give my buddies a bad time for feeding hounds the backstrap but nothing to disrespect them. They think different than I do and thats ok. I can always set what I consider a good example. Sometimes that speaks louder than words. Taking an animal's life for me is no small thing. I have to revere that gift of nature. That's just me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom