Ethical/Legal question for archery hunters

royalTOOTH15

I have access to a cabin for the late season archery bull elk hunt along the rim. The land owner has given me permission to hunt this land, but I wanted to get some input as to whether it would be legal/ethical to take an elk on the property with a bow as it is in close proximity to other cabins/residences. The cabin sits on about 1/3 acre with other cabins spread on about equal sized lots. The land owner was telling me that he had several groups of bulls on his land last year the week before Thanksgiving, which would be the same time of year as my hunt this year, so there is a good chance I might see something the week or so that I'm staying there.

My question is, is it legal to take big game with a bow in this type of setting? From what I've found in the regulations there doesn't seem to be anything prohibiting it.

Also, it seems if I did shoot an elk it would be highly likely it would go down on someone else's property. What would be the protocol is such a situation?

Any input would be appreciated, as this has been on my mind since drawing the tag and gaining permission to use the property.

It's just me but I wouldn't even consider it. Those elk are moving onto the property from someplace else. I would be looking for the someplace else. Stuff happens in hunting and having an animal die in someone's front yard couldn't be good in most people's thinking.

+1

It's never a good look to be walking through a mountain development in camos with a bow and a loaf of Wonder bread dragging behind you!

I'd possibly stay in the cabin and most certainly drive somewhere else to hunt. No matter what happens if things go wrong you aren't putting hunting and yourself in jeopardy. If that animal dies on someone else's property and they deny you access you could have a few issues and get yourself involved in a lawsuit. Then the development may not allow hunting and a myriad of other issues could arise and you could be sitting in a jail until things get sorted out. What happens if you hit that animal high and there's no blood trail and it dies on someone else's yard and they say you shot it there w/o permission? Illegal trespass and killing the animal on private property issues could result....... This could potentially cost you $10-15,000.00 and loss of all hunting privileges in the western states if things go south...........It's not worth the risk IMO but only you can make that decision.

Another side not mentioned yet is although wild, most people in those type of communities consider the wildlife as their pets. Since they consider them pets, they give certain animals they see year after year names. An example would be "Sampson", the big bull elk in Colorado who was poached and subsequently generated the "Sampson Law".

In your case, Legally shot "Big Bull" dies in another residence yard who happens to be an anti and calls the news stations who most likely would put the story and video of the demise of "Big Bull" on the 6 & 10 o'clock news for a few days.

Best advise is the first post, use the cabin and go find where the elk come from and hunt there.

Shooting an animal on property you have permission to hunt is perfectly legal with a bow. You can be as close as you want to a house and still shoot it if you are on the property that gave you permission. The obvious problem brought up would be it could die on someone else's property. Noone can sue you for shooting an elk and it dying on their property. You may lose the elk if they don't give you permission to retrieve it but other than that you're good to go. Maybe ask a few of the surrounding property owners if they would have a problem with it. If they do just hope it doesn't die on their property! You're not gonna get in any trouble because you aren't doing anything illegal. They might not like it but that's up to you to decide if you wanna mess with hurting their feelings.

I believe that last guy with so called permission that shot an elk in a residential area actually did get fined and lost his trophy and may have lost his hunting privileges and a few grand in attorney fees and a big fat auction tag fee to boot and he had a licensed guide with him. Make sure you understand the law before you venture into this territory. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. That trophy is hanging in the lobby at AZG&F hdqtrs.

I don't know all the facts surrounding that debacle but HUNTER BEWARE is written all over this. Hunting on a guys acreage is one thing, hunting with other cabins in close proximity is asking for trouble unless you have written permission from the actual homeowners like 777 stated and double check with AZGFD. (IN writing isn't a bad way to go that way there aren't any communication issues and you have written permission). In any case I hope you have a good hunt.

Most states have a "minimum distance" from a building in which you can discharge a weapon. I think Arizona is 1/4 mile...California is 150 yards...and others are similar. You mentioned you have permission to shoot from this particular cabin, but you also mentioned that there are other cabins around and that they are all on 1/3 acre lots. So,it's going to be pretty much impossible to be far enough away from adjacent cabins. For crying out loud, you are in a 1/3 acre subdivision! What if you miss...your description leads one to believe that there are other cabins all around you.

On top of that...since you are using archery equipment, unless you spine it, the elk is MOST LIKELY going to die on another property.

I'm just going to be blunt here....this is a stupid question!

Az G&F does not have an archery minimum law,that is for firearms!!!!The town or city laws may come into play here but not Az G&F.Also if the bull were to die on another property there are ways retrieve it,G&F does have a waste law.I have a cabin in 3c and bulls come in at the same time,and we have taken some on the late archery season.Wow unless you spine it it will run away,you have never bow hunted?I have shot many big animals with a bow and they died a few feet from the shot,not all but many.

I have taken dozens of big game animals with a bow. MANY double lunge shots result in animals that run farther 1/3 of an acre. Do you know just how small 1/3 of an acre is??? If square, 1/3 of an acre is 40yards by 40 yards. Remember, there is a cabin in here somewhere too. OK throw out any minimum distance from a building with a bow. Like I said before, what if he misses? Where is that arrow going to go? As indicated, the other lots are similar with other cabins.

Again...stupid question!

A subdivision with 1/3 acre lots is not a place for hunting. Catch them on the way out and your golden. If your bull happens to turn back and die on private, call G&F immediately, then try to contact the landowner. Chances are, nobody will be in a vacation cabin in the middle of November and the warden will be able to help you gain access to retrieve your bull.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom