Euro help

zekers

Very Active Member
I'm trying my hand out on boiling a shed out skull I found this year. I plan on mounting a set of whitetail sheds I found. I first boiled it with a box of baking soda for 2.5 hours. I took it to a car wash and pressure washed all the meat off, then boiled it again for 3 hours with 2 big bottles of hydrogen peroxide. I think it came out great, with all the nasal bones intact, and the teeth not falling out of it's head. The only thing though, I would like to get it a little whiter. It is the natural, yellowish color. I don't want it fake white, just a little whiter. Any suggestions? Also, all the meat came off nicely, but the pedicles still have a dark stain to them with a little residue in the bone core. Does it need to be boiled longer? Thanks for the help.

2.5 hours should be plenty long enough. There are a couple things you could do. 1-Bleach it. 2-Air brush it off-white. 3-There is a chemical found at your nearest pool/spa store. I'm not sure what it is called, but it will turn your skull white. I'll try to find out the name of it. Good luck!!

It does not sound as though you need to boil your skull anymore. I would just soak it in straight peroxide. You can get a strong mix at your hair supply store. Soak it til the desired whiteness is reached. Easy stuff.

I guess I just needed it to dry overnight. This morning it had the desired white I was looking for. I've got the sheds mounted now and curing, that was a chore trying to line them up correctly. I don't think it's perfect, but pretty close. How long until the smell dissapates enough to bring in the house? Still a little strong, not bad for me, but i know the wife will drop kick it out the door. Anyway, thanks for the help, and I'll post pics tomorrow.

If it stinks, then you still have tissue, and grease in it, personally the best way to do euros is with beetles. Yes it does take longer to clean and degrease it but its worth it.

The swimming pool stuff is called Bacuacil oxidizer, the problem with it is it will turn skulls pink, its got more chemicals than just peroxide

You could try to put it in a box with some dryer sheets, alot of em, for about a week. Your skull will yellow over time and if you want to get all the grease out, put it in your sink and turn your water on super hot with some dawn dish soap, change out the water when it gets cold, take about three days and you should be able to get the most of it out.

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom