european mounting

I dont know whats best ? But I did my daughters little buck she got last year. I thought it was nice to do it european rather then just cutting the horns off the skull.
I skinned it and cooked it in a big pot. Removed the meat a little at a time. Then after getting all the meat off.I put hydrogen poroxide on the scull to make it white. You can get it from a beauty supply store.
Didn't cost much and turn out pretty good.

Get as much meat off the head as possible.(There should be no hide) In a big pot outside boil enough water to cover the skull. Try not to let the water touch the antlers. I found it helpful to add sal soda to the water. I think it helps breakdown tissue and brain matter. I'll let the water boil for 45 min and then take some tools in order to remove flesh, brain matter, and connective tissue. I use a coat hanger with a hook or "J" bend in it. I use a wire brush, stiff toothbrush, and a knife. I keep boiling and scraping until it is fully clean.
After drying, I'll peroxide the skull like mentioned above. Take care not to get the peroxide on the antlers. I'll usually wrap the horns with some foil and tape. Let it sit outside in some sunny weather for a day or two.
As far as mounting the skull to a plaque there are tons of ways to do it. I like drilling a 5/8" hole on the underside of the skull towards the foramen magnum. (There is a thick spot there towards the big hole in the back of the skull) Then I insert a sheetrock molly through the plaque, then screw the molly onto the bolt, insert the molly into the skull and tighten. Here is a pic of the molly.
8314molly.jpg

Anyways, there are tons of ways to skin a cat, hope this helps,
Smitty

For mounting plain skulls with no plaque, I like this...

A simple robe hook will hold a euro mount at about 45 deg.
511050_front200.jpg

Because the hook is small and white and can't be seen the skull seems to float on the wall.

Hogbuck028.jpg

I boil mine in soda detergent for about a hour to two. Trim off what I can than use a pressure washer to finish cleaning it off.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-08-10 AT 04:11PM (MST)[p]The best way? Take it to skull designs, eurosbyrt as he is known around here, and let his beetles do the work . I have done a few myself using the common methods and there always seems to be the residual grease and odor. Also, the chemicals can discolor the skull over time. As for displaying, I think that the skull hooker is awesome.

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

LAST EDITED ON Nov-08-10 AT 06:07PM (MST)[p]I'm married so I don't mount Europeans.

oops nevermind.... That skull hooker looks really cool.

Hey ruttinelk393 I like that mount were did you get the skull hooker from.

yep, that some funny stuff.

skullhooker.com is where you can buy one- and cabelas,scheels and sportsmans guide will soon have them now too.

>Hey ruttinelk393 I like that mount
>were did you get the
>skull hooker from.

+1 for the SkullHooker!!

Also, find someone in your area who has dermestid beetles. The beetles eat off all the flesh, and then the skulls can be whitened. They don't end up so fragile and brittle as boiling and if you choose the right guy, the skulls come back looking like museum masterpieces. I use Mitch Atkinson at Western Skulls in Phoenix. His website is www.westernskulls.com. He charges $110 for a mule deer.

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
www.westernhuntermagazine.net
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete
www.wildernessathlete.com

Hey buck44 send me a pm and I'll help ya out. DO NOT pay someone else to do it, mine cost me all of $4 to do myself and I think it looks good, much nicer than spending 100+ to have somebody else do it!

IMG_0213.jpg

I saw if you are gonna buy a hooker, buy American! To heck with the Europeans!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom