Ever had this happen?

NvrEnuf

Very Active Member
2 weeks ago I was up trying to locate bucks and some possible places to shed hunt here in a couple months. Once I start thinking about sheds I start trying to turn everything into a shed. Well, I am glassing this hillside "looking for deer" when I notice what I swear has to be a shed laying in the brush. It's only about 1500yds away so I decide to hike over after it. After finally getting to where I had seen the shed I had mud up to my butt checks and then I realized it was just part of a rib cage from an old deer carcass. I hate it when that happens! My buddies make fun of me because I would walk 10 miles just to make sure something is not an antler!

I'm sick and I don't want to find the cure!

NvrEnuf

I've found some great sagebrush sheds that way, and a couple good quaking aspen antlers too! The reaaly good ones are the ones you have to hike back to where you spotted 'em from to relocate it and do the hike twice to make sure it wasn't just a legbone or stick.

Man I love to hear that people are as sick as I. I too will walk ten miles to make sure that aint a shed layin over there. I have team hunted with a friend. I will get high and he stays low and I glass all around and direct him to suspect tine.

ShedcrAAAAAAAzy

Last spring I was in a large canyon, a very large canyon. I was shed hunting on a side nobody sheds on; I was glassing over on the sunny side hill when I saw a huge elk shed. There was still allot of snow on this side, the other side was completely bare. I pulled out the spotting scope, I was positive it was an elk shed. I head straight down hill in two feet of snow with no light left. I spotted a guy across from me working his way up towards the elk shed. I ran up hill like a deer would, I was about ready to die when I found a two point shed. My energy was back for about one minute, I finally made it to the top to find a big white branch that look like an elk shed from 10' away. Boy was I pissed plus I had two miles to hike to the truck and it was dark by then. I never walk away from a branch, sage shed until I've checked it out.

Last November I was out coyote hunting with BBB, we where all set up and BBB started calling. I started glassing the sage out in front of us, on a hill side I spotted what looked like an antler. I told BBB that I spotted an antler, he glassed it and said it looked like a two point antler. Two point antler or not I was off for a mile and a half hike to get it, it turned out to be an elk shed. I found both sides, this bull would score 390. I would say the hike was worth it, I always check things out now.

The fever will only get worse for the next couple of months! I just sharpshoed my horses for a cow elk hunt this wkend. I take this older friend into the hills every december for his cow. I always find some trophy cows where I shed hunt, or is that trophy sheds where I cow hunt? At the very least, I get a good idea how many bulls are pulling into the area.Funny we don't go where there is more cow elk. Last year we found some nice sheds while glassing for cows. Old bill guided me by radio as I sloshed through afoot and a half of snow across the canyon and 2/3 up the other side to an opening in the timber where a booner ribcage was sticking out of the snow.

have you ever noticed that sheds spotted with the bino's
always have a lot of ground shrinkage, is it me or do I
not look at them long enough?

NVMDF

I've glassed sheds from 100 yards, I'll take off on a dead run think that's one unreal 4 point antler. As I close in on it I stop running and start walking becaue its a small 4 point antler. The bino's do trick us.

Whats funny is when you and a buddy are shed hunting and both are glassing the same area. Both of you spot the same shed but don't tell the other. Then its an all out foot race to the shed.
-Raptor

You guys are lucky you can glass your sheds from a long ways off. 99% of my shed hunting is done in the timber. I use the binos alot in there too. But to glass sticks and such at 20-50 yards away that look like anlters. When you have to grid out the area to cover every inch, it saves on the hiking if you're not walking over to every stick that resembles a shed.

I was hunting some open sage country this fall and my buddy and I were glassin this one evening. He had his spotter on some timber and he spotted a shed hanging in a tree. I walked down to it and got it. It looked like it had been hung up there many, many years ago. It was a nice NT shed too.

several years ago i was looking for sheds with a friend of mine. it was late in the season and we were really just out for a hike in one of our better shed spots that everyone else knows about, too.

anyway, he glasses a hillside above us and says "is that a stick or the point of an antler", it was near the end of the day and i'll admit i was tired and cranky from checking out too many sticks that looked like antlers, so i glassed it quick and said, "naw, that's just another stick". my buddy says he's going up to check it out...

he comes back down with a beautiful 4x muley shed that had to score 80 inches and a grin you wouldn't believe. we call that bone the bohemoth because it's so big. since then i've checked every "stick" and never had one turn out to be a bone like that!

another time a few years ago with that same friend of mine, i spotted what looked like a big elk shed across a drainage. my friend and i glassed it for 5 or 10 minutes before he determined that it looked like a stick to him. well, this trip was after the trip i described above, so i wasn't taking any chances. i dropped into the bottom and scurried up the other side, and what do i find? a large stick shaped alot like a big elk shed! oh well, i still check out all "sticks" in hopes it'll be a monster shed.

berto

Glassed sheds always look much bigger to me. Last fall when I was up scouting in WY before the hunt I spotted a huge white shed from I swear to you it had to be 2500yds! I actually had to talk my buddy into staying with the spotting scope and the radio so I could hike back to the truck. Drive down the canyon we were in, and then drive up the other side were the shed was. I got within about 1/2 mile of the shed and then had to hike up to it. My buddy talked me right to were the shed was on the radio and when I finally saw it on the ground about 20yds away it was just a decent sized, fairly heavy 3pt that was about 6 years old. From start to finish this little shed ordeal took almost an hour and a half. I held up the shed so my buddy, who I knew would be looking throught the spotting scope could see it. He came on the radio and all he said was "do you think that peice of $#!*& was worth all that work?" I told him I would have went twice as far for an antler that was half that size! He just laughed.

NvrEnuf

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-03 AT 05:58PM (MST)[p]This last spring I spotted an elk antler an honest 3-4 miles away as the crow flies a couple canyons over on the opposite sidehill. My partner didn't believe me so he got out his 60 power scope. It was laying in short green grass by a spring in a wide draw. With the spotting scope I would of swore it was a brown sixpt. Fortunately I was going in that direction the next day anyway and put it off for the day. When I rode up there the next day it had turned into a white raghorn 4pt left the year before!

Like Shedcrazy, we do a lot of team hunting when we go out shedding. This one particular day we were working our way up some steep open sage brush hills toward the timber. I stopped to take a break and glass the hillside above and across the draw. With my back to a tree I was fairly stable checking everything out as the open hillside came into the draw. In the sage brush I could see these points sticking out so I called my buddy on the radio since he was coming arounfd the hill higher than myself and directed him around the hill toward the antler. When he finally got to the sage brush where I said the antler was, he asked where I was glassing from, I told him to look down the hill and to his right. He had to use Bino's to see me, and stated that there was no way I could see an antler from that distance. It was awesome though when he picked up the rack, a huge 7 point that weighed 11 pounds. I make sure that I spend a lot of time glassing that hill every year now expecting to find what I have in years past. You guys have me ready to leave the office early and hit the mountains now. thanks for sharing all your stories, there are a lot of us touched in the head I see!!!!!!!!

Elkseeker

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom