F250 vs 2500 silverado

Grouse Legs

Time to replace the prius.

Looking at a new 3/4 ton gasser ford as opposed to a chevy. Figured the campfire would have some opinions. Thanks in advance.

I dont do much heavy hauling anymore and id rather not deal with the diesel in the cold weather. And the gasser is cheaper
When I was buying my last truck, the dealer said they've got a bunch of guys switching to the new gas over the Power Stroke. He said it's perfect for guys that don't tow heavy loads that often. It sounds like you might for that description 👍 good luck

I wouldn't buy anything from 20' to 23'
Those vehicles made during to pandemic dhit show are junk.
I know 6 people that have had serious issues with those years.

I am a chevy/gmc guy and would lean that way.
I was looking at '24s. Hopefully they got it together by then

I have a 2011 F250 and I would pick the GM. I like the IFS they have. A lot of the hard folks say the solid axle is better but it’s much rougher. I like a smooth ride and enjoy something that lessens the feel of the bumps. A lot of those bumps you feel are on the streets and highways and not just on the dirt.

The dealer you buy from is more important than the brand of truck. You will almost guaranteed have to deal with some sort of parts failure, and multiple recalls, it's just the way things are with new cars now.

16 MPG Empty!

6 MPG With The Load They Pulled!

If You Ever Get Down My Way mt?

I Wanna Show You Something!

The landscaper we use is moving his fleet to gas trucks. He likes the 6.6 GM engine. Trucks are less expensive and less expensive to run and maintain. mtmuley

There's Only One Reason I Never Owned A POWER-WAGON Hossy!

Well I Guess 2 Reasons!

You Couldn't Get A CUMMINS Or A 6 SPEED STICK In It!

Yes I Like The LOCKERS!

Yes I Love 4:56 & 4:10 Gears!

Some Of These Newer HIGH GEARED SON'S A BITCHES,You Can Have Them!

Might be a certain kid at my house measuring it for flatbed, stacks and bodies.

Ai t gonna lie, 1 ton Cummins(5.9) are good only for towing. Ride like tanks

Last edited:
I like the point about buying from a quality dealership whichever make a guy buys.

Any recomendations for a quality dealership. Closer to western colorado the better

16 MPG Empty!

6 MPG With The Load They Pulled!

If You Ever Get Down My Way mt?

I Wanna Show You Something!
I don't care. Don't tow anything. My truck gets me up the Montana mountains. For pulling and stuff, I use company rigs. And company fuel. mtmuley

The Biggest Thing I Get A Kick Out Of Is People Believing What The Electronics On The Dash Is Showing For Fuel Mileage & They SUCK It All The Way In!

There's One Way!

That's Fuel Her Up Till She Won't Hold Another Teaspoon!

Divide The Miles Run By The Exact Gallons To Top It Back Off!

There's Your Damn Fuel Mileage!

I've Got One Pick-Up That Shows Really Close To What It's Actually Getting For Fuel Mileage!

I've Got Another Truck That Always Reads Higher Than What You're Actually Getting!

Then It's Got A 'BEST MILEAGE' That Reads 35 MPG!

I Don't Ever Remeber Running It Down Hill With The Key Shut Off To Get 35 MPG!

Here ya go @elkassassin

Screenshot_20240303_181945_Chrome.jpg

If you aren't towing a whole lot then you could look at the F250 with the 7.3 godzilla motor matched to the 10 speed tranny. If you don't care about the gas usage haha. I got '22 F350 with the 6.7 and the 10 speed, and man does it make a world of difference all around. I just went out to Nebraska and back for snow geese, averaged 19.5mpg with 3 of us and our gear in the truck. I get about 17 on avg going to/from work and I run about 11 towing my 39' 5th wheel loaded with the side by side and water in it. Granted, I'm always towing up into the mountains and back. Never tried a flat land tow yet actually.

I have a '22 F250 with the 7.3. It is a beast. I pull 10-12K monthly, sometimes a few times a month in AZ at 6% grades every which way to leave the valley I'm in. The truck doesn't skip a beat, has more power than it knows what to do with and then some. I couldn't justify the diesel. Does the 7.3 drink gas? Yeah it does, but I didn't buy it for gas mileage, I bought it to use. It's a very powerful truck.

The 7.3 is a tank, been around the block for a while. I went 6.7 in mine, I just can't go back to gas after running a diesel the last several years. But having a '16 with the 6 speed 6.7 and going to the '22 with the 10 speed is night and day, that transmission made a world of difference.

Money wasn't a limiter in my decision. My decision was based on practicality and what I wanted.

All the new trucks seem to be junk these days. For the prices of these new trucks they should have a 10 year bumper to bumper unlimited mileage warranty but they won't do that because they know they would lose money with as many things as they would be repairing.

People are catching on and older low mileage trucks from the mid 90's to the 00's are starting to bring a premium. They are more reliable and easier to work on.
I wouldn't buy anything from 20' to 23'
Those vehicles made during to pandemic dhit show are junk.
I know 6 people that have had serious issues with those.

I am a chevy/gmc guy and would lean that way.

All the new trucks seem to be junk these days. For the prices of these new trucks they should have a 10 year bumper to bumper unlimited mileage warranty but they won't do that because they know they would lose money with as many things as they would be repairing.

People are catching on and older low mileage trucks from the mid 90's to the 00's are starting to bring a premium. They are more reliable and easier to work on.
This^^. I like new trucks as much as anyone but just can’t justify the cost, much less the lacking quality and durability.
I have a 03 and the LB7, 100% stock with 80k miles. Yeah, it won’t pull the house down like the new ones but that truck ain’t going nowhere before I’m dead. I’ve had things starting to go on it like seals, water pump, clutch fan etc. but don’t spend more than a grand each year to keep it on the road. Guys are paying that much each month just on payments.😳

This^^. I like new trucks as much as anyone but just can’t justify the cost, much less the lacking quality and durability.
I have a 03 and the LB7, 100% stock with 80k miles. Yeah, it won’t pull the house down like the new ones but that truck ain’t going nowhere before I’m dead. I’ve had things starting to go on it like seals, water pump, clutch fan etc. but don’t spend more than a grand each year to keep it on the road. Guys are paying that much each month just on payments.😳
I agree, if it weren't for the fact that I got more for my old truck than I paid for it and got the Ford X plan on my new truck, which substantially cut my cost, I wouldn't have made the change. I definitely can't stand the DEF system and the EGR bull crap they put on all the newer trucks.

I've had three different Ram 2500s and all with the Cummins. Two were 2005s and my current one is a 2018. I sold one of my 2005s to a buddy and he just turned over 400k miles and has never had a problem. In all three that I've owned (and sold) they've totaled over 600k and only real issue I've had was that I lost 1st gear on day 2 of a 2 week hunting trip. I drove it without 1st gear the entire trip and for a month when I got home before I had the trans rebuilt. The torque in a diesel allowed it to start off in 2nd gear without a problem.

Come On Bwht!

We All Know Cummins Are Great When In Proper Tune!

Maybe Not A Major Problem In 400K!

But There's Been Some Smaller Issues I'd Bet?

I've Got A Diesel That Has 306K On It & No Major Issues But I've Also Got Everything Documented,Every Damn Single Thing!

I Can Proudly Say No Injectors Yet!

The Cummins I Once Owned Ate A Water Pump Every 90,000 Miles Religiously!

The Good Part At That Time I Could Buy An OEM MOPAR Water Pump For 59.00 & Swap It Out In 30 Minutes!

Post Up Even The Little Things That Happened In 400K?

I've had three different Ram 2500s and all with the Cummins. Two were 2005s and my current one is a 2018. I sold one of my 2005s to a buddy and he just turned over 400k miles and has never had a problem. In all three that I've owned (and sold) they've totaled over 600k and only real issue I've had was that I lost 1st gear on day 2 of a 2 week hunting trip. I drove it without 1st gear the entire trip and for a month when I got home before I had the trans rebuilt. The torque in a diesel allowed it to start off in 2nd gear without a problem.

They're all good. I always have a bunch of pickups and they all have their strengths. I have a '22 king Ranch f350 powerjoke, a '23 ram TRX and a '24 chevy ZR2. engines aside since there's no comparison, I'd say the Ford is the most comfortable. the TRX is the best built and the chevy absolutely has the best and most user-friendly tech package.

I wouldn't buy a gas engine heavy duty for towing, but if I did it would probably be the new Ford with the 7.3. if I was buying a half ton the chevy with a 6.2. ram is dumping the V8's in the half ton for '25 which has already started production. and the 6.4 can't run with the Ford and chevy big V8's in the 3/4 tons.

I have an 2022 F250 7.3 Tremor package. It is about as good of a do all truck there is. The Tremor has 4.30 gearing and a legit limited slip in the front axle that works very well. With a small Carli lift and 37s it is comfortable and will go anywhere you need if you can fit it and turn around that is. It gets about 13.5/14 mpg avg. Transferflow makes a replacement 58 gallon tank for it if you want serious range also.

Gotta Love Them 4:30 Gears!

Now If GM Would Pull Their Heads Out & Give You An Option For Gears In Their Belchers!

I have an 2022 F250 7.3 Tremor package. It is about as good of a do all truck there is. The Tremor has 4.30 gearing and a legit limited slip in the front axle that works very well. With a small Carli lift and 37s it is comfortable and will go anywhere you need if you can fit it and turn around that is. It gets about 13.5/14 mpg avg. Transferflow makes a replacement 58 gallon tank for it if you want serious range also.

If I Had To Go Back To a 2500-F-250 Gasser That's What I'd Have!

The 4:30 Gears & The Boost Would Be A Must!
It will satisfy your inner 16 year old for sure. My wife thinks it is the stupidest thing ever, which makes me like it more. 639hp to the wheels. But quiet and smooth and the hwy.

Did You Tell Her you Didn't Want Her Driving It Anyway?:D

What'd The 8lbs Cost You?

It will satisfy your inner 16 year old for sure. My wife thinks it is the stupidest thing ever, which makes me like it more. 639hp to the wheels. But quiet and smooth and the hwy.

Procharger? I've been considering the Whipple once my warranty runs out. The Procharger kit doesn't work with the dual battery option from what I've seen.

Do you tow much with it?

Yes it is a procharger. I do not tow more than 5k lbs with it. It is a big toy really and way overkill but most HD trucks are unless you are towing over 8/9k regularly. I have been driving raptors last five years but iam planning on swapping to towing a small enclosed trailer ( will double as camper ) and using a SXS. So many roads the Raptor gets limited on width and pinstripes galore. No better road trip and hunting truck than a Raptor unless the roads get tight.
That new 2024 Ranger Raptor could be the best hunting truck yet. Stock 33s, front and rear e lockers with the 2.5 inch fox live valve suspension and narrow enough to keep from getting pinstriped like the full size raptor.

That new 2024 Ranger Raptor could be the best hunting truck yet. Stock 33s, front and rear e lockers with the 2.5 inch fox live valve suspension and narrow enough to keep from getting pinstriped like the full size raptor.
I ordered a Ranger Raptor and it shipped on 4/1 but hasn't arrived yet. After looking at it more, I think the reduced payload, towing, and MPG is not quite what I want for a trail/hunting truck.

I'm holding out for a Ranger Tremor with the 2.7L. I bet they'll have one in a few years.

So?

What Do They SMACK You For Backing Out On An Ordered Truck?

I ordered a Ranger Raptor and it shipped on 4/1 but hasn't arrived yet. After looking at it more, I think the reduced payload, towing, and MPG is not quite what I want for a trail/hunting truck.

I'm holding out for a Ranger Tremor with the 2.7L. I bet they'll have one in a few years.

So?

What Do They SMACK You For Backing Out On An Ordered Truck?
Nothing. They have a waiting list for Ranger Raptors and each dealer only gets one from the first run. I got it because of my relationship with the dealer, and could've flipped it for $5k+ but I told the dealer it was his to do what he wants with it. He'll make more money selling it to somebody else than he was going to sell it to me anyway. And now he'll take care of me on my next order. It's all good.

Ford use To have What They Called a Z Plan For Family & Friends!

Don't Know What They Call It These Days?

The BEND-OVER Plan Maybe?:D

Nothing. They have a waiting list for Ranger Raptors and each dealer only gets one from the first run. I got it because of my relationship with the dealer, and could've flipped it for $5k+ but I told the dealer it was his to do what he wants with it. He'll make more money selling it to somebody else than he was going to sell it to me anyway. And now he'll take care of me on my next order. It's all good.

I Don't Really Know What's Going Down Here Lately In DRATville!

But Diesel Fuel Has Been .50-.60 Cents A Gallon Less Than Gasoline!

That's The Way It Should Be!

But It'll Change!

Picked my GMC AT4 last October before hunting season and have been happy with it. But it is diesel. One warning. If you pull over and sleep in the cab during a snow storm… be careful when you wake up in the dark and turn the cab light on. Make sure you hit the light switch and not the sun roof switch close to it. Ask me how I know. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
IMG_5457.jpeg

IMG_5458.jpeg

Ford use To have What They Called a Z Plan For Family & Friends!

Don't Know What They Call It These Days?

The BEND-OVER Plan Maybe?:D
I think they still have A/Z, X, & D plans.

There are restrictions and not all dealers will do them, especially on in-demand vehicles, but they can be a good option.

Some guys join the Mustang Club and then get X plan with it

The payload number on the Ranger Raptor is 1400 something pounds, same as the Gen 3 f150 Raptor. It is much better than I thought. That is about as much as you can stuff in that little truck, unless your starting with 4 dudes at 250lbs a pop. I can stuff my Gen3 Raptor with two weeks of professionally homeless gear, 2 150 qt coolers , grill etc along with 2 guys and it holds up well. I did do a small 3/4 inch rear spacer to help with high beaming everyone when loaded down. They will make plus 300/500 pound springs for the rear like they do for the F150 raptor also.

Picked my GMC AT4 last October before hunting season and have been happy with it. But it is diesel. One warning. If you pull over and sleep in the cab during a snow storm… be careful when you wake up in the dark and turn the cab light on. Make sure you hit the light switch and not the sun roof switch close to it. Ask me how I know. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
View attachment 143380
View attachment 143381
You drive around with the mirrors extended without a trailer?

Nothing like 3” of fresh powder snow in your face to wake you up. Luckily it only opened about 4” before I stopped and reversed it. 🤣🤣🤣

Not yet, is that the cool thing to do??😁😁

Have
I was talking about the picture of it parked with no trailer attached, mirrors extended.
Whenever I see one of those dorky rams with mirrors that stick out 3' coming down the road towards me I push the button and extend mine and give em a funny look.

View attachment 143380
View attachment 143381
Awesome. Did same thing a year earlier. Never owned new until the wife bought/approved me to get this one at 62 years old. Should last me until I'm in the ground. Only use it for hunting and camping and it pulls awesome. Love my new AT4 deisel.

20221001_162059.jpg

20221202_115630.jpg

20220904_164439.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome. Did something a year earlier. Never owned new until the wife bought/approved me to get this one at 62 years old. Should last me until I'm in the ground. Only use it for hunting and camping and it pulls awesome.

View attachment 143425
Rick, on a different note I'm getting ready to buy a Davis tent and I see you have one... I'm keep leaning back and forth between the 16'x20" and the 14'x20' what size is yours and do you wish you would've gone bigger? I am going with the rain fly and the porch extension... Any other options that you can think of that you would have done different? Thanks Rick, I've always been envious of your hunting camps... :cool:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom