Factory rifles

Russell870

How many people use factory rifles, or with some aftermarket modifications such a custom barrel if so what type. Thank you

Last edited:
Yup. Criterion barrels. Easy peezy installation at home. Also most have the trigger and stock replaced. With a few other personal touches too.

I've owned Remington, Winchester, Browning, Sako, Tika, Weatherby, and Savage rifles in a plethera of calibers. I've owned several high dollar custom rifles. The Sako was a good gun and every Savage I've ever owned was a shooter. Of course, every custom gun shot better than I can. The others were unreliable accuracy wise. I only own factory Savage rifles now, one in .308 Win and one in 338 Lapua. I'm planning on a Savage light weight .308 soon.

Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker .270 Winchester. I replaced the barrel recently and installed a timney spring to lighten up the pull. I use it more than my fully custom rifles.

How Many Of Them Are Top End Customs?

You Could Say All Of Them Are Factory!

No, YOU could say that, because telling the truth and being factual isn’t really a big deal to you. I could not say all of them are factory.

Anyone on this website that has ever bought or even shot a rifle knows there is a difference between a production factory rifle and a custom build. But I digress…

Russell- Factory rifles have improved so much over the decades. I’m not knocking custom builds. If I had the money I would do a bunch of custom builds myself, just because I could. But I don’t have the money, and quality factory rifles shooting the right factory loads produce incredibly good results these days. The only thing I’ve done to my X-Bolt is put an aftermarket Browning brake on it rather than the factory brake it came with. I wish I had plumber money though, then I’d buy a suppressor.

It's hard to beat the accuracy of a Savage. I always change the trigger out to a Timney or simply install a lighter spring. For beginner hunters the adjustable comb on the Accu-stock is a difference maker. The gun I most often shoot now is a Weatherby Vanguard in a 300 wsm, it is a really nice all-purpose rifle that I can beat the crap out of and it keeps shooting. Ammo matters as well.
I worked for a High-end Custom Gun manufacture and I wouldn't spend that kind of money unless I literally had nothing else to spend it on...which I always do. I take pride in simplicity and practicality; if I can't kill it with the guns I have...then I need to be a better hunter.

I have only Factory rifles Remington and Winchesters. With some experimenting with ammo I can usually find something that groups pretty well and I use it. The one thing my dad taught me along time ago is that if you can put that bullet where it needs to be it doesn't matter if you payed $100 or 10,000 for the rifle the work will start after you pull the trigger.

Hey Nilly!

Don't BS Us By Sayin You Ain't Got The Money!

You Need To Buy A Couple Of Them & Quick!

And After You Buy A Couple & They Start YANKIN TECHNOLOGY Off Them I Wanna Hear You BAWL Some More!

It's Time You Start Dippin In To That Stash You've Got Tucked Away In Your Billfold That Ms. Vanilla Doesn't Know About!

Or You Could Always Wait A Little Longer & Even Pay More In A Couple Of Years!

No, YOU could say that, because telling the truth and being factual isn’t really a big deal to you. I could not say all of them are factory.

Anyone on this website that has ever bought or even shot a rifle knows there is a difference between a production factory rifle and a custom build. But I digress…

Russell- Factory rifles have improved so much over the decades. I’m not knocking custom builds. If I had the money I would do a bunch of custom builds myself, just because I could. But I don’t have the money, and quality factory rifles shooting the right factory loads produce incredibly good results these days. The only thing I’ve done to my X-Bolt is put an aftermarket Browning brake on it rather than the factory brake it came with. I wish I had plumber money though, then I’d buy a suppressor.

I have only Factory rifles Remington and Winchesters. With some experimenting with ammo I can usually find something that groups pretty well and I use it. The one thing my dad taught me along time ago is that if you can put that bullet where it needs to be it doesn't matter if you payed $100 or 10,000 for the rifle the work will start after you pull the trigger.
Your father was a wise man. Was your father Steve Jobs?

I’ll save you asking why I’d ask a dumb question. I know he wasn’t but your father and Jobs had a lot in common it seems.

“Whichever stage in life we are at right now, with time, we will face the day when the curtain comes down.
Treasure Love for your family, love for your spouse, love for your friends...
Treat yourself well. Cherish others.

As we grow older, and hence wiser, we slowly realize that —

• wearing a $300 or $30 watch - they both tell the same time...
  • Whether we carry a $300 or $30 wallet/handbag - the amount of money inside is the same;
  • Whether we drive a $150,000 car or a $30,000 car, the road and distance is the same, and we get to the same destination.
  • Whether we drink a bottle of $300 or $10 wine - the hangover is the same;
  • Whether the house we live in is 300 or 3000 sq ft - loneliness is the same.
You will realize, your true inner happiness does not come from the material things of this world.
Whether you fly first or economy class, if the plane goes down - you go down with it…

Steve Jobs quote…. As he lay on his death bed.

Oh ya……. I don’t own any custom rifles. but I did put a homemade (custom… if you will) muzzle break on a Remington Ultra once. It was a much happier muzzleloader as a result.

All of this from guys that didn't own a rifle when Founder asked how many rifles you had. HAHA...

I have three custom rifles plus many others that have some upgrades. I built all three of the custom rifles, and those are my primary hunt guns.

300 Win Mag with a blueprinted Rem 700 action and a fluted X Caliber barrel. Fluted bolt, custom bolt knob and aPure Precision stock. Shoots 1/2 MOA most days.

6.5 PRC. Blueprinted Rem 700 action, Carbon 6 barrel, with an AG Composites stock. Shoots better than the 300 and holds those groups to good distance.

22-250 Rem. Has a Stiller action, X caliber carbon barrel and an HS Precision stock. Shoots like the 6.5. Way better than my old eyes can shoot.

I then have a quite a few factory and semi-customs around. I've threaded all the barrels for suppressed shooting and glass bedded most.

I also Cerakote all of my rifles. Put on critters in Cerakote like giant deer, elk antlers, brands, howling coyotes, brands and more. So they are different colors too. Underlay color for the animals, and a primary color for the barrel and action. (No Cerakote on carbon barrels.)

Nobody asked but I never shoot any factory ammo. Half the fun of hunting is building a rifle you trust and then developing a load that gets the best out of the rifle.

I started with factory rifles, did the custom stuff and now I hunt exclusively with a Mcmillan Dynasty, MOA Extreme Sporter and a McWhorter long range set up.

I wish I could go back in time and save the money I wasted on the rest of the crap I had built it would have paid for the ones I have now.

Watched my father put 3 holes basically on top of one another with factory rifles my entire life ! He could out shoot anybody he hunted with any day of the week , but he spent more time at the reloading bench than most people ever will !!!! He would change seating depth, primers, bullets, powders, two tenths of a grain of powder, whatever it took fifty times to make em touch ……. most people don’t have the patience. Writing checks is easier 🙄 ! That said, nothing custom for me. Sure I play around changing triggers and stocks from time to time but that’s it.

Hey 440!

You Could Say The Same Damn Thing About Your F-350's Over The Years!

By The Way!

They've Got A High Output STROKER Out Now That Has 1200 ft lbs Of Torque Stock!

You Got One Ordered yet?

I started with factory rifles, did the custom stuff and now I hunt exclusively with a Mcmillan Dynasty, MOA Extreme Sporter and a McWhorter long range set up.

I wish I could go back in time and save the money I wasted on the rest of the crap I had built it would have paid for the ones I have now.

Remington model 700

This is the gun that custom gun builders copy the action, this is a rifle that model 700 actions are used for custom builds.

Also a great factory gun

Hey 440!

You Could Say The Same Damn Thing About Your F-350's Over The Years!

By The Way!

They've Got A High Output STROKER Out Now That Has 1200 ft lbs Of Torque Stock!

You Got One Ordered yet?
No, I only have 11,000 miles on the one I have now. I'm not interested in the HO that's just dumb.

Part of life experiences yet wheres the fun in getting it right the first time!? Adds to personal perfection!

300 win mag Remington 700BDL had it for 30 years still shoots great and holds a pretty good group only have ever shot federal premium ammo never had an issue.

I always hunt elk with my 300 WSM Browning X-bolt that I purchased in 2010. Nikon Monarch scope. Just a tack driving setup that I have a lot of confidence in out to 3-4 hundred yards using factory loads. I've often thought about a custom rifle, they look awesome. Maybe someday.

I use Ruger American Predators.... I have one in: .308, 6.5 Creedmoor, and my all time fav 22-250. I have had great luck with them, and for sub 500 yd rifles have had good accuracy results. I also use factory ammo. I have not tried stretching them our past 500, but believe they would do well.

Owned and shot lots of different rifles. With Tikka being the best out of the box with no upgrades. Remington 700’s got a Timney trigger and the recoil lug bedded with epoxy before they were ever shot. They all shot great as well.

If I was going to hunt with a rifle, it would be a 25+ year old Remington 700 in either 7mm Mag or 300 Win Mag. I hear the older Remingtons are much better the newer ones.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom