Fair Price

Phantom Hunter

Very Active Member
What is a fair price for a quality elk mount? Just wondering how the local guys prices stack up. I know you get what you pay for, I just don't want to pay more than the going rate for quality work.

to be honest who ever you like the most is the right priced why settle on a trophy you want the rest of your life.

I think a lot of it will depend on what you want. If you want detachable antlers = $100 - $150. If you want it bugling add around anoter $100. When I had mine done not bugling but with detachable antlers I was looking between $950 to $1050 from the two guys I was debating on. There are taxis that will charge more and some less. I elected to go with the $950 guy and kind of wish I went with the $1050 guy now seeing more of his work since then.

The most important thing is to go out and look at a variety of different taxidermist's work. I always recommend people who are price shopping to come and check our work out and also go and look around to get an idea of what to expect with taxidermy and its prices and the turnaround time frame. I think you will find that most taxidermists that do nice work are usually pretty comparable in respect to price and may have a longer wait time. You will also find taxidermists that will do it for a bit cheaper especially if they are just getting into the trade, but ultimately the price difference may mean whether it is hanging in the front room or out in the shed.

Very Sound advice jsc. I could't have said it better...

I know my prices are higher than those stated above...But I have been in the Taxidermy trade for 30 plus years and have an established clientele. Most of these clients don't ask about price or when it's going to be done. They are more concerned about having a nice, clean mount that they are proud to hang on their wall and show their friends.

Its human nature for all of us to look for the "best deal possible" but there is a very broad scale on the skill level of taxidermists out there...ranging from "Pathetic" to "Just Okay" on up to "Excellent". If the trophy of a lifetime means that much to you, then bargain hunting shouldn't be part of the equation...

My personal opinion is that the "Animal deserves that much respect"...

the main thing is to shop for your taxidermist BEFORE you have that cape laying on your garage floor slowly turning green ....

I have a guy that does a great elk mount for 750 or so, goes up from there depending on open mouth, etc. But I think that is on the low end. Most guys are 900-1100 it seems.

WYmoose
highvalleydesign.com

I have seen bargin mounts hanging on walls that guys were pretty proud of.I thought these same mounts were not all that good. Infact, some of them looked terrible. It's like the guy that eats a PB&J sandwhich thats been sitting in his lunch box for a week, and thinks it tasted pretty darn good. I've learned that some people have an eye for quality and some do not.Bottom line is, you are the one that will have to look at that mount everyday for the rest of your life. Find a taxi that you like, and pay his price. Most Taxis that are really good know they are a cut above the rest, and it will be reflected in their price. Everytime you look at that mount, the $200 extra you paid will be long forgotton.

Read KevinP's post! He does all my taxidermy work. I think people are absolutely nuts to go with the "cheapest" taxidermy. You spend years trying to draw a tag and then get crap that you have to look at the rest of your life!!

Kind of like putting a tasco scope on a custom, high end rifle.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom